• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bronze Stars for PAOs and other tales of award inflation

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, the stories behind the ribbons/medals are the best thing about awards. Sometimes the airman with a NAM has a better story than a LCDR with a Bronze Star. I saw an ABHAN scoot under a sliding Hornet and save it from going over the scupper with a tie down chain on KHK in '03. The CO pinned a NAM on him right after flight quarters on the flight deck. That the best use of the awards system I've personally seen.

I agree, which makes me ask the following:

I got a NAM for being part of a SAR that was in some pretty shitty (read: out of limits) conditions and resulted in saving three shipmates' lives. Sparing the details, there was definitely no other way these guys were going to be saved. Sooo, should the award have been a NAM or an Air Medal? I always thought an Air Medal was more appropriate, but as Fetus mentioned, the NAM was a tool for the ship's CO to recognize people.

People see a NAM and may think "just another guy w/ a NAM." People see an AM and think "just another Strike medal" (yeah, I know, it's not). Regardless, I don't like talking about my flair...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I have no idea, maybe you should ask the next 1stLt/Cpl/Airman/Captain that has a Bronze Star without a V? ;)

It's not their "fault" that they have it. Unless they wrote it up and submitted it themselves (=uber gay). It's just that the process seems wacked out.

Whatever. I'm not the awards police.:D

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Know two Marines with pretty intense stories involving a lot of personal danger, and in one case, the survival of a large complement of Marines...who both have NAMs with the V.

But you know, that guy who fixed the coffee pot deserved his MSM too I'm sure...

lmnop

Folks generally seem to know the story (good or bad) behind the ribbons/medals.

Exactly. After lots of Army love I now am much less prone to making assumptions about awards people receive and what they receive them for.
There are a bunch of dudes that have gone up on the memorial wall, or will go up this year, that received BSMs without V as their parting gift for making the ultimate sacrifice while responding to IEDs. A far cry from maintaining the coffee pot.

I personally had a guy I submitted for a CAR receive a ACM with V because some dipshit up the chop chain decided it needed upgraded. At the same time, I had two youngsters that saved a whole bunch of lives get denied ACM or AAMs w/ V by the same dipshit because they weren't of a lofty enough paygrade. I've had other valor awards I submitted shot down because some Army administrator has a decoder wheel which determines that you will sit on the guy's accomplishments and submit for a BSM without V later on.

Like I said before, the system sucks. The integrity of the process is completely gone in many cases and leads to awards that are of much greater or much lesser magnitude than deserved. Thankfully, the only part that really matters is the job you do. The rest is superfluous bullshit after the fact.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe someone is borrowing a page or two from the days of Napoleon Bonaparte who said:

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Give me enough medals, and I'll win any war. (maybe we need to give out more?)

plc67

pilot
My favorite citation was for a DFC. They fell HML367,HMA369 and the OV10 squadron out to award a Lt. and a Major the award. The Lt was flying a Cobra in atrocious wx at night while taking lots of fire to bail out some recon types. The major came out during the daylight after it was all over and part of his citation read 'while under intense enemy observation', that brought forth many snickers from the peanut gallery. I guess the moral is to always have an English major as the adjutant.
I can't really claim the high ground, I found out I'm entitled to wear the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, a hand 'em out by the hundreds award, so that's certainly a misnomer.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
While I'll be the first to admit that the AF's medals system is whacked out, those of you casting stones from the wings-of-gold branch of the service and think that the USAF is the only one carrying out that practice are living in a dream world. My Navy and Army friends say it's just as bad in their squadrons (except they don't have Predator squadrons to make into favorite whipping boys). Maybe the Marines are the only ones actually holding the right standard?

But, back to the USAF's clown act on this subject...this isn't limited to the post 9/11 world. Here's what an ex-Ops Officer of mine wrote back in '99 about what the USAF was doing after ALLIED FORCE. He posted this to David Hackworth's website, and initially he was severely reprimanded for making these statements. Today, however, he's an O-6 Vice Wing Commander and no doubt on his way to making a star. He held the line pretty well in my squadron when we participated in the shock-and-awe portion of OIF, but there were still several DFCs awarded afterward.

After arriving at ACSC, I began hearing what a cluster the whole Kosovo air war had been from my buddies from Europe with targets being selected at 1600 Penn Ave, D.C., only after approval from the French only to be missed by incompetent aircrews due to all the cuts in training and all the contingency flying. Anyway, none of this could upset my newly found "no worries" attitude and I just chalked it up the crazy political times.

Then some of my close fighter brethren relayed to me the medal frenzy - it went something like this: If you supported the operation from Missouri, England or Aviano and you're a LtCol - you get a Bronze Star.

If you saw a Surface to Air missile in flight - you apply for a DFC. If you threat reacted - you're a shoe-in. Each wing gets a Silver Star to distribute - What, a fucking lottery for a Silver Star? My buds told me it became fighter wing versus fighter wing versus bomber wing to see which wing commander could win the most Kosovo Olympic Gold. You either jumped on the team bandwagon or you were considered against it.

It further inbred worse since it was primarily an Air Force show - therefore our LtCols with their Bronze Stars could outperform the other services when competing for those hallowed joint jobs - You Gotta Be Shitting Me! The service with the motto "Integrity in all we do" is mortaging its dignity to promote its manufactured self image.

Sorry this litany is so long - I'd love to see an article comparing all the sorties of WWII - pilot KIA in WWII - to the DFC ratio of WWII and then compared to the Kosovo debacle.

As a closing note, there is an Army Ranger in my ACSC class who lost his kneecap and another chunk of his leg in Somalia - I don't know what decorations he received along with his Purple Heart from that event, but I am embarrassed to look him in the eye as we pass in the hallway thinking of the medal charade we paraded out of our last demonstration of impotence and the real sacrifice he and his brothers made on the ground.

trogdor

pilot
This is why i love the fact that there are no ribbons/medals on a flight suit. You gotta leave that shit out of the cockpit.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is why i love the fact that there are no ribbons/medals on a flight suit. You gotta leave that shit out of the cockpit.

You must have missed the USAF attempt to festoon their flightsuits (wrists) with stars tied to their flight hours and gold ones for combat. It came and went in early 90s.

Lawman

None
You must have missed the USAF attempt to festoon their flightsuits (wrists) with stars tied to their flight hours and gold ones for combat. It came and went in early 90s.

Theres a funny irony to that though. The guys that put the quash on that were actually all the 0-5's and 0-6's that had a bunch of silver stars but no gold because they had "missed the show" in Desert Storm.

Ill see if I can find that article.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you_fail_021.jpg