• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Broken Leg-Metal Rod

hanginthere

Hi, I'm a fourth year NROTC guy due to graduate dec of 09. I broke my femur last December snowboarding (stupid, I know). I was going to be a pilot and the rest of my package, i.e. grades, major, physical fitness (up to now), eye are all in order and I probably wouldn't have had a problem getting a flight spot (either as NFO or Pilot). My leg is getting better, but I now have a metal rod and some screws in my thigh to keep the bone in position when it was healing. The guy who operated on my leg said the rod and screws can stay in my leg as long as they don't cause me problems. I actually am studying abroad right now in Australia, so I haven't had a chance to visit the flight surgeon or anything back at home, but am due to go home and get a new physical. I have been doing some research and found a site that said having hardware in you can disqualify from flight activity of even getting a commission. I just want to know how screwed I am and if anybody has ever heard of a similar situation where someone got a waiver or how hard it is to get a waiver for something like this. Should I get the rod out? That would mean another 3-6 months of recovery after the hardware removal operation and since I'm graduating pretty soon.. a year and half away... is it even possible to be Unrestricted line eligible. If I'm NPQ'd would I still be eligible for a restricted line commission? or would the ROTC people give me the boot?

MasterBates

Well, you can fly with retained hardware, know people doing it. Not sure the NOMI ass-pain involved with it.

"NOMI WAIVER GUIDE" is what you seek.

And Lazers, stop saying you are sure of stuff. In short, STFU wannabe.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you can fly with retained hardware, know people doing it. Not sure the NOMI ass-pain involved with it.

CONCUR with MB. I had a Prowler pilot that broke his femur doing some way cool trick with a stunt parachute. Didn't end so well....anyway he was back in the cockpit WITH Hardware after about 6 months. If Doc doesn't give you the answer you seek or you can't find a hard answer in the Waiver Guide, then CALL or WRITE NOMI with your questions!! And I'd also check out who you were getting advice from.....have you spoken to your NROTC advisor or NROTC Aviation Advisor....they get the big bucks to help you. I know I've BTDT!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Do NOT get the rod taken out if you don't need to. Why the hell go under the knife again, for no reason?

I too f'd up my leg in an accident, currently a Hornet guy. Broken tibia, fibia, and 8 bones in my foot. I've got more metal than an ace hardware store in my leg, and the only thing the Navy wanted was documentation from my ortopedic surgeon just to verify what had been done. It's not a big deal. As long as you can run/jump/swim/flex/etc like a normal person you're fine. I should also add I was an OCS guy so there was no vested interest in getting me approved, i.e. the Navy hadn't sunk a dime into me yet (like an Academy or ROTC guy).

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Retained hardware is not a problem....lots of folks have it.

"WAIVER: Retained hardware in the upper and lower extremities is NCD provided there has been resolution of the underlying orthopedic problem, that the hardware is not subject to trauma, is intact and in the intended location, and does not weaken the bony structure. Retained hardware in the spine is CD in applicants, no waiver. Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis."

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

Retained hardware = waiverable....just not without waiting for the wheels to grind.

Ditto on don't get it removed if you're not having problems. Dumbest. Advice. Ever. That's coming from someone who has had to undergo R&R (remove and replace, for the unclean) of retained hardware - just trust me on this, it hurts a hell of a lot more the second time around.

Attachments

• New Xrays.jpg
    New Xrays.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 112

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis."
Doc - is this "designated" in the Biblical sense (as in "warfare designator") or in the litteral sense (as in "hey you, you've now been designated to be eligible for a waiver")???

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Doc - is this "designated" in the Biblical sense (as in "warfare designator") or in the litteral sense (as in "hey you, you've now been designated to be eligible for a waiver")???

Aeronautically designated...........and why is MB lookking at your scars???

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scoob, if that's your arm, I bet you set off the metal detectors big time.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Scoob, if that's your arm, I bet you set off the metal detectors big time.
Actually, it's the poster for "Alien 5: Alien vs. Bolt in Scoob's Ulna".

It's titanium => doesn't set off metal detectors, but it does register on a wand when I'm bored and demand entertainment.