• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

brit ww2 low level through paris, 1943

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
article-2239241-163B0C55000005DC-791_634x487.jpg

not quite the dolittle raid but he certainly had a pair.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ch-flag-Arc-Triomphe-Nazi-occupied-Paris.html

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Sorta surprised they didn't use the Mosquito. It was considerably faster at any altitude. But then again, this pilot's balls & ability probably overwhelmed any airframe consideration. The comments by RAF personnel regarding current cutbacks in their numbers & airframes are also interesting and revealing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorta surprised they didn't use the Mosquito. It was considerably faster at any altitude. But then again, this pilot's balls & ability probably overwhelmed any airframe consideration. The comments by RAF personnel regarding current cutbacks in their numbers & airframes are also interesting and revealing.

The Mosquito was just entering service then and hadn't even been officially 'announced' yet at the time so no surprise they used a Beaufighter.

Fog

None
Contributor
According to an RAF history website (historylearningsite.co.uk.com), the Mosquito first flew in November of 1940. Recce units were formed in Sptember of 1941 & the first bomber units in May of '42. The mission cited took place in June 1942 (not '43), so it would have been early in the a/c's career, but it was definitely in-service & operational at the time. My big heartache about the Mosquito is that neither the USAAF or the Navy built an aluminum version for our forces. It was a perfect a/c for long-range Pacific missions during the 1st 2 years of the war. JMHO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to an RAF history website (historylearningsite.co.uk.com), the Mosquito first flew in November of 1940. Recce units were formed in Sptember of 1941 & the first bomber units in May of '42. The mission cited took place in June 1942 (not '43), so it would have been early in the a/c's career, but it was definitely in-service & operational at the time. My big heartache about the Mosquito is that neither the USAAF or the Navy built an aluminum version for our forces. It was a perfect a/c for long-range Pacific missions during the 1st 2 years of the war. JMHO.

I am deep into a few books about the RAF right now and like many aircraft of the period the Mosquito had a pretty quick introduction to service but it took a while for them to get to 'strength' in the RAF. The light bombers at the time in the RAF was mostly a mixture of Blenheims, Beauforts, Bostons and Hudsons and compared to those the Beaufighter was certainly a better choice to do the mission.

Fog

None
Contributor
What I really meant in these posts is that the best NFO-type job in WWII would have been to fly the right seat of the Mosquito as NAV/BN. I'm sure there was a RIO-type role as well for the right-seat guy in radar-equipped nightfighter versions later in the war. The Mosquito could fly up the butt of anything the Axis had, so some good bogey-dope could put you in any bomber's six pretty easily. As Ricky said, "I'm yealous".

Renegade One

None
What I really meant in these posts is that the best NFO-type job in WWII would have been to fly the right seat of the Mosquito as NAV/BN. I'm sure there was a RIO-type role as well for the right-seat guy in radar-equipped nightfighter versions later in the war. The Mosquito could fly up the butt of anything the Axis had, so some good bogey-dope could put you in any bomber's six pretty easily. As Ricky said, "I'm yealous".
Fog: Think I agree...and here's a book you might enjoy...I read another one, very long ago, but couldn't find a link to that one:
http://www.amazon.com/NIGHT-FIGHTER-NAVIGATOR-Beaufighters-Mosquitos/dp/1848841884

Correct me if I'm wrong, but best Mosquito movie was "633 Squadron". Memorable NAV quote: "This is bloody dangerous!" (imagine an Aussie or South African accent...)