• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brit Chinook pilot shot in face, lands helo, gets DFC.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What a stud...hard to believe it was the first time a pilot was shot while in the air in Afghanistan...

Holy crap. Anybody else watch Auto Traderor Wheeler Dealers on Discovery HD Theatre? Mike Brewer is not exactly the kind of guy you would expect to see on combat television.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fortune was on his side....recommended call sign: GOOD. (See story for last name)

-ea6bflyr ;)

nugget61

pilot
Excuse my ignorance and not trying to take anything away from the Flt-Lt, but:

"If the bullet had hit the pilot a millimetre lower, those on board wouldn't have stood a chance."

Do they not fly with another pilot who could have taken control?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Excuse my ignorance and not trying to take anything away from the Flt-Lt, but:

Do they not fly with another pilot who could have taken control?

Someone else with more knowledges will have to help out with specifics, but I remember being briefed that the copilot on many British helos really acts as more of a Nav/NFO than as a true copilot, i.e. he rarely, if ever, gets the controls. That's part of the reason they actually come abeam the spot and slide perpendicularly to the ship to land, vice on the 45-deg as we do. Now, whether he's a pilot working up to aircraft commander or a true navigator, I'm not sure.

Saying they "wouldn't have stood a chance" might be hyperbole, but passenger safety definitely takes a beating if one of the pilots is dead, whether that's because he's shot or because he ate the fish...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone else with more knowledges will have to help out with specifics, but I remember being briefed that the copilot on many British helos really acts as more of a Nav/NFO than as a true copilot, i.e. he rarely, if ever, gets the controls. That's part of the reason they actually come abeam the spot and slide perpendicularly to the ship to land, vice on the 45-deg as we do. Now, whether he's a pilot working up to aircraft commander or a true navigator, I'm not sure.

That is the general practice in the Royal Navy, the 'copilot' is actually an Observer, their equivalent of NFO/Nav's. From their description of the Chinook it appears that the RAF does use WSO's in helos as well as flying them dual-piloted. Their description of RAF WSO training doesn't have helos as an option though, not sure why the discrepancy between the two.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems to me, based on their site, that they use both copilots and WSOs in different situations. The news articles mentioned him having a co-pilot. but we all know the media's propensity to F away anything aviation related.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Since he's British I hope he gets the equivalent or better than our medal that would serve him. Heroes abound...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, in our Navy, he'd get a NAM (after downgrading from a Comm because of the awards quota in his squadron and CAG didn't feel like sending the paperwork for anything higher upstream). And the paperwork would get lost twice.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
That Brit's a freakin Warrior. Anybody got a release date on that documentary? Should be interesting.