• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breathing techniques while running

Lonestar155

is good to go
Thanks for all the advice. Lot of the advice actually worked and I finished my 3 mile run pretty strong. The following day at our daily PT we did a 5 mile run. I had no problems at all!

BackOrdered

Contributor
When I did some searching on breathing about a year ago I read about alternating which foot you exhale on. When you contract your diaphragm with the rest of your body consistantly hitting the same position (right or left foot) it can gradually push blood. I read that it was best to take an odd number of steps per full breath cycle (inhale+exhale). I do 4 steps on the inhale, 3 steps on the exhale. So: inhale(L) exhale(L) inhale(R) exhale(R). Supposedly this cuts back on cramps, and I can say I certainly noticed a difference. I have no proof that the breathing was what did it, but I don't think it hurt.

edit: I should add that I found the 4/3 to be nearly impossible to maintain on hills, so I'll sometimes drop to a 3/2, even if only for a few breaths.

Ok, combining running (something I'm not good at and don't care for) with math (something else I'm not good and don't care for). You are a cruel cruel man.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I don't know any particular formula...and I'm not especially fast (9:20-40 for the 1.5, despite my best efforts) but today I was on the treadmill because of the weather down here and did some experimentation.

Without getting very scientific I did notice that various breathing methods had a big impact on my heart rate at a given output. I saw swings from about 140 to 155 depending on how I was breathing. My resting heartrate FYI is in the low 50's...52-55. It got me curious...I may go test some things out tomorrow more carefully since the weather looks equally dreadful.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I don't know any particular formula...and I'm not especially fast (9:20-40 for the 1.5, despite my best efforts) but today I was on the treadmill because of the weather down here and did some experimentation.

Without getting very scientific I did notice that various breathing methods had a big impact on my heart rate at a given output. I saw swings from about 140 to 155 depending on how I was breathing. My resting heartrate FYI is in the low 50's...52-55. It got me curious...I may go test some things out tomorrow more carefully since the weather looks equally dreadful.

I hope you're not talking about using the heart rate monitor built in to the rail of the treadmill...