• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breathing exercises using Powerlung

BullGator

For any one on here that has used the product Powerlung: is it effective to a noticeable performance-difference while running 1.5 miles (and more)?

Also, which type do you recommend: the "active series'" sport or trainer, or one from the "performer series" (there are many different models)?

I heard about using it from a MarineOCS website's forum (training for 3 miles). I am interested in working on my breathing (capacity and rate), although it is around $100 minimum, so I want to know basically if it's worth it or if similar breathing exercises can be done on my own for free. If there is a way to do this breathing-capacity training without the use of a product like powerlung, can you please help guide me in the right direction or explain how it is done?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hey feddoc do you think these type of things really help to improve run times and such like that if they improve your breathing?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I don't know specifically about run times, but every spring when I'm itching to break out the speargun, I hit the PowerLung. I just use the suggested regimen from the package. Makes a noticeable difference for me in breath control, using full lung capacity, and lung packing when I'm freediving. I'm a big fan.

Seems to me it can't hurt a run time, but I'm not the ideal test case for the lung training on running question.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Hey feddoc do you think these type of things really help to improve run times and such like that if they improve your breathing?

I do think that using the device will strengthen the muscles used when doing heavy breathing...hey, I have an idea here :tongue2_1 ....., I also think that the device likely improves the amount of O2 your lungs can process. I also think the $15 device in the link above will do the same thing. Might be a good deal for the competitive runner, but, for the average joe or jane looking to improve their PRT, I don't think it is worth it.

nugget81

pilot
You know what else works wonders -- yelling at the top of your lungs while running (like a cadence). In fact, if you go around yelling at the top of your lungs day in and day out for 9 weeks straight, I guarantee that you will improve your next PRT run time. Do the same with pushups -- yell "SPIRIT" on the way down and "DISCIPLINE" on the way up. God OCS was fun....

BullGator

15$ http://www.wwbw.com/Breath-Builder-Isometric-Exerciser-i80001.music

Does about the same thing, and a whole lot cheaper. More money for beer.
That seems to be specifically for a musical instrument training (e.g. It's for consistent breath more than max-capacity).

I like the yelling while running training. I have to try that; I think it's time I stop running at night anyway. :) I do really like that suggestion. Are there also other/augmenting ways to breath-capacity train without buying a breathing product?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You know what else works wonders -- yelling at the top of your lungs while running (like a cadence). In fact, if you go around yelling at the top of your lungs day in and day out for 9 weeks straight, I guarantee that you will improve your next PRT run time. Do the same with pushups -- yell "SPIRIT" on the way down and "DISCIPLINE" on the way up. God OCS was fun....

This will, however, get you a sweater with no hand-holes in it if you do the above-mentioned regimen by yourself.

Also, wouldn't say, a bag full of balloons accomplish the same training as a breath-training device?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
PropAddict is right...train, train and train again. Much greater benefit from training than from using a breathing device.

phrogdriver may be on to something.....yea, it will do about the same thing...cheaper.

BullGator

Thanks guys.

I found that by just being constantly conscious of my breathing while running, I can maintain taking deeper breaths and not letting my autonomic nervous system control it (e.g. fast shallow breaths).

I haven't used the balloons, but thought about it and other methods that may work with breathing exercises: (1) the balloons would certainly strengthen your diaphragm (up) and exhaling muscles; (2) I was wondering if using a duck-call device I could not only have resistance in exhaling, but maybe able to do the same with inhaling. -I don't know if that'd work properly, just thinking outside the box a (very-) little.

The bottom line is that practice running seems to be the best way (=feddoc). Since I don't own an i-pod I can really focus on breathing and proper motions too. I was reading the ear buds/i-pod thread and I may be in the minority on not using an i-pod, but I think it's obvious that I am frugal (e.g. cheap). :)

If anyone has anything to add I would be very happy to take any advice, but until then I'll keep pounding the pavements and work on my breathing then: the old school way.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My cousin told me in bootcamp his DI made them take a mouthful of water, run 3 miles, and still have said mouthful of water to spit out at the end of the run. Made you control your breathing and the urge to swallow said water.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My cousin told me in bootcamp his DI made them take a mouthful of water, run 3 miles, and still have said mouthful of water to spit out at the end of the run. Made you control your breathing and the urge to swallow said water.

An Iraqi defector told be that he was told that in order to graduate Boot Camp each U.S. Marine has to kill a member of his immediate family. :icon_tong

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I call bullshit on that one.