• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Branding of a Successful Naval Aviator?

jmcquate

Contributor
Hey dumb asses. Stop the Marine/Navy crap, and help the the kid. The Corps needs kids like this.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
If you choked it back down like a real man then you've probably got #2 nailed down. Now you just have to worry about either #1 be a good stick or #3 don't suck at your ground job.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I know, you really went off on the fat guy...not sure what he did to set you off. Was it the “jorts” comment?
Totally the jorts comment. I thought we all had thick skin here? or are we just mad I tee’d off on a senior citizen?
With layovers comes an infinite variety of beers one must try.

With an infinite variety of beers to try comes infinite happiness but at the price of fatness.

With age comes seniority. And with seniority comes widebody (see what I did here???) Captaincy.

With widebody Captaincy comes money and great QOL. With great QOL and money comes wealth and happiness.

So I’m perfectly good being a fat senior citizen as it has brought wealth and happiness.

And I didn’t have to style my hair like a tampon, wear jorts or silkie, or make absurd noises to find my wealth and happiness.

Yut yut devil douche.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
As a student talk less and listen more...

3 keys of success in a squadron:
1) Be a good stick
2) Have a good personality/bar act
3) Be good at your ground job.

You need 2 of the 3 to be successful in a squadron. 3/3 and you’re a rockstar, 1/3 and you’re eff’d.

I've always said, your Skipper and XO will take care of you if you're great at 2/3 of the following things, and good at a third:

1. Good pilot
2. Good officer.
3. Good dude.

Same idea.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
With layovers comes an infinite variety of beers one must try.

With an infinite variety of beers to try comes infinite happiness but at the price of fatness.

With age comes seniority. And with seniority comes widebody (see what I did here???) Captaincy.

With widebody Captaincy comes money and great QOL. With great QOL and money comes wealth and happiness.

So I’m perfectly good being a fat senior citizen as it has brought wealth and happiness.

And I didn’t have to style my hair like a tampon, wear jorts or silkie, or make absurd noises to find my wealth and happiness.

Yut yut devil douche.

Yeah I’d just rather not be fat. Whatever floats your boat.

yeah...YOU

Shit sorry. Totally caught me off guard with the braided belt, knife hands, and mirror yut yut practicing.

KevlarSac

Don’t listen to navy pussies. Also stop saying “brand” unless you’re talking about a corporation or a hot metal thing

I picked that up from the University. I was never a salesman, but the professor made it a point that you are selling yourself. What kind of name and reputation do you want to have? What do people perceive and how close is that to reality. I will admit it is corny but I like the logic.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I picked that up from the University. I was never a salesman, but the professor made it a point that you are selling yourself. What kind of name and reputation do you want to have? What do people perceive and how close is that to reality. I will admit it is corny but I like the logic.
I think “brand” sounds a bit contrived, but “name and reputation” is dead on.

Aviation is a small community, even smaller for you guys. People will know who you are, good or bad, before you walk in the door based solely on your reputation in the community. The further you get in that community, the harder it is to change that rep, for better or worse.

Just be who you are, whether that is an asshole or a nice guy, and make it work for you. Trying to pretend you are anyone else to create a “brand” will break down under stress (as you probably already have seen on your deployments as an E) and you will revert to your true self.

If you play the nice guy and revert to being an asshole when the chips are down, your guys won’t trust you. If you try to play the asshole and don’t have the stones to back it up they won’t respect you.

Pickle

KevlarSac

I think “brand” sounds a bit contrived, but “name and reputation” is dead on.

Aviation is a small community, even smaller for you guys. People will know who you are, good or bad, before you walk in the door based solely on your reputation in the community. The further you get in that community, the harder it is to change that rep, for better or worse.

Just be who you are, whether that is an asshole or a nice guy, and make it work for you. Trying to pretend you are anyone else to create a “brand” will break down under stress (as you probably already have seen on your deployments as an E) and you will revert to your true self.

If you play the nice guy and revert to being an asshole when the chips are down, your guys won’t trust you. If you try to play the asshole and don’t have the stones to back it up they won’t respect you.

Pickle

I agree people revert back to them true selves when cold, hungry, wet, tired, etc. I believe leadership is skills based and it can be improved over time. I am an up and comer in the firefighting world so I have been following for a couple years. Coming back into the Marines I am expected to be the same Sergeant I was 3 years ago when I was a section leader. That is primarily why I asked the question initially.

KevlarSac

Dude- just realize that no one really cares about your prior time. Own it, because it's who you are, but don't think that it makes you better than anyone else.

Remember that you're only as good as your last flight, and you're only as good as the dudes who will have you. Everyone fails a flight, it's your friends that will make sure you're ready for the refly.

I just had dinner last night with the guy who I flew forms with in primary. Before last night we hadn't seen each other in 5 years. It was a great night.

Be the dude that your form partner will want to see in 5 years when you're swinging through on TAD to some conference.

I have a pretty good handle on being the new guy. I jumped into wildland firefighting and nobody gave a shit about who you were unless you were on a hotshot crew. Thanks for the advice.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I agree people revert back to them true selves when cold, hungry, wet, tired, etc. I believe leadership is skills based and it can be improved over time. I am an up and comer in the firefighting world so I have been following for a couple years. Coming back into the Marines I am expected to be the same Sergeant I was 3 years ago when I was a section leader. That is primarily why I asked the question initially.

You are overthinking this. Aviation will be different than your last community.

Others hit the nail on the head so I’ll reiterate:

1) Own the fact that you were a prior but people (post TBS) won’t really care that you were.

2) Be a good dude.

3) Be a good pilot.

4) Be a good officer that excels at your ground job and take care of your people when you have people.

Again, you’re overthinking this and should listen to the advice others have given.

KevlarSac

You are overthinking this. Aviation will be different than your last community.

Others hit the nail on the head so I’ll reiterate:

1) Own the fact that you were a prior but people (post TBS) won’t really care that you were.

2) Be a good dude.

3) Be a good pilot.

4) Be a good officer that excels at your ground job and take care of your people when you have people.

Again, you’re overthinking this and should listen to the advice others have given.

I'm picking it up what's being said. Again, thank you for the advice. I am excited for the opportunity.