• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BRAC Dates

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Physicx said:
Miramar made it.But where are they going to move all of the subs since there closing the base in Conn?

Kings Bay, GA is gaining lots of people- probably split between there and Norfolk.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Am I the only one that hates to see bases closed? Not for any monetary reason or what not. I just have the idea that once you give up the land and give it to developers, you can never get it back....

Such a shame...

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Does anyone know how the base closing at Pascagoula is going to affect the town? I mean, they do have some industry of their own, but since a lot of that is shipbuilding...

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
VetteMuscle427 said:
Am I the only one that hates to see bases closed? Not for any monetary reason or what not. I just have the idea that once you give up the land and give it to developers, you can never get it back....

Such a shame...

Well there is alway eminent domain. They can get the land back if they need it. I don't agree with it but it exists. For the use of the general public such as roads, airports, and military bases I can live with. It's the taking from one private owner and given it to another private owner, like wal-mart or something, because a business will pay more taxes than a resident, I don't agree with. But that's another subject.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Cause that "preliminary" one wasn't based on anything but what BRAC commissions have done before and rumors. Like I said, if it isn't official, it's crap (in this case).

Roger,
I never said it was, but I like this list a lot better :icon_wink

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:

Such a shame...

I agree, I hate to see bases get closed, BRAC SUCKS!!!!!- :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage -Many rages, and no I will not take them back.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
Will there seriously be only 30 days to get out once it's official? That's absolutely absurd. They should make it official, then phase out the bases over the course of 6 mts, a year/2yrs???

I'm starting to worry...

KBayDog

BRAC improves the quality of our beaches, too...Just look at how, uh, "clean" the beaches at Barbers Point became once we gave it to the state of Hawaii.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
It looks to me like the list has changed quite a bit since the "preliminary" one posted months ago.
You mean the fake one, right?

The whole thing looked fairly benign to me. Get rid of the dead weight!

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bigmouth said:
Will there seriously be only 30 days to get out once it's official? That's absolutely absurd. They should make it official, then phase out the bases over the course of 6 mts, a year/2yrs???

I'm starting to worry...

I heard they only get 15 days, then they line up 120 bulldozers and raze the whole place! Come on, people! Use your brains on this stuff.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anything official out yet that says what is moving to where in this grand "realignment" shuffle? Scuttlebutt seems to be, for instance, that Navy OCS is on its way back to NS Newport. Just curious to see what some of these bases who are gaining thousands of people are getting from the closed ones.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just got back from the post-BRAC list celebratory, community "movers and shakers" , high-5, pat-ourselves-on-the-back luncheon at the Yacht Club ..... obviously, everyone there was in good spirits as Washington State dodged the BRAC bullet for another round --- even Everett Home Port and Fairchild AFB were spared . Of course it's not over yet ..... it never is.

But to all you "nattering nabobs of negativism" (thanks for that, Spiro T. :) ) .... you guys who drink the government/military Kool-Aid (boy, have you got an education coming when you get out) and think there is "no list" until you see one in the squadron spaces ...... I "knew" the probable closure items on the WA list over two months ago ---- not 'cause I'm smart but because I've worked on this stuff for over 10 years for the community. But I was obviously not at liberty to put any of the "real" information on this or any other website. This stuff is not "news" if you are involved in the process --- you always count your votes in advance. And here @ Whidbey, we NEVER go home when it comes to the base --- and we know how to play the POLITICAL game .... that's what we do here @ Whidbey. And it shows.

Point-counterpoint: Witness brand new (he even defeated Tom Daschle) Senator John Thune and the state of South Dakota ... they didn't ..... and now they are singing the blues. Point taken ... ?

Basically ( and this is over-simplified) I think this round was a lot less political (that's civilian politicians in grey suits and Navy Blue politicians in uniforms) than previous BRAC initial lists. So with most of the political IOU's accounted for in previous rounds --- this one (as I see it) was a little more about "cost effectiveness" and less about politics. And most (not all-- witness early '90's NAS Whidbey BRAC fight :) ) of what goes on the initial list(s) ---stays on the list.

Now if we could just get it down to "operational military necessity" .... then we might have something there .... ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
More BRAC news from the Uh-Oh, DEPT .....

Calif., Maine Bases Added to Closure List
[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]Jul 19, 3:36 PM (ET) By LIZ SIDOTI

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Deputy Undersecretary of Defense Michael Wynne testifies before the BRAC Panel .....[/font]

WASHINGTON (AP) - The base-closing commission voted Tuesday to add two military facilities, in California and Maine, to the list of hundreds of domestic bases that Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has proposed closing and shrinking.

The Navy Broadway Complex in San Diego and the Naval Air Station in Brunswick, Maine, were added to the list of facilities to be closed. The commission also was voting on whether to add bases in nine other states and Washington, D.C.

The San Diego facility has headquarters for Navy operations in the Southwest, while the Brunswick air base is the last active-duty Defense Department airfield in New England and one of Maine's largest employers, with nearly 4,900 military and civilian workers.

For the rest of the story .... click the link: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050719/D8BELC9G0.html

Naval Shipyard Pearl Harbor and MCRD San Diego (i.e., merge MCRD with Parris Island? Bye, bye Randy Cunningham ?) dodged the bureacrat's bullets --- but not by much.

[/font]