• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BRAC Dates

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Ok this time its for real this comes croutasy of military.com and gives you a good idea of when this will all go down.

Now that President Bush has named the members of the fifth Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) commission, the military community faces the looming possibility of further base closures. These closures can directly affect the livelihood of whole communities, military retirees' access to vital benefits, and the military's ability to meet the challenges of the war on terrorism.

The following is a list of key dates for the BRAC process:

* May 16: Deadline for Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to give the BRAC commission and Congress the Pentagon's recommendations for military facilities that should be closed.
* Sept. 8: Deadline for the BRAC commission to make its own base closure recommendations.
* Sept. 23: Deadline for a presidential decision on whether to accept or reject the BRAC recommendations in their entirety - the White House's only options. If Bush accepts the plan, it becomes final within 45 legislative days, unless Congress passes a joint resolution to block the entire package.
* Oct. 20: If Bush rejects the BRAC recommendations, the commission has until this date to submit a revised list of proposed closures.
* Nov. 7: Deadline for the president to approve or disapprove the revised recommendations.
* April 15, 2006: The commission terminates.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
With one addition. On or before May 16, the SecDef recommended list must be made available to the public by way of the Federal Register.

NavyWife2001

I have a question....How long will it take for a base to close after they decide to close it? AND, how many are they looking to close in all?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyWife2001 said:
I have a question....How long will it take for a base to close after they decide to close it? AND, how many are they looking to close in all?
Once the decision is made, they typically have 30 days to get out before the hounds are released.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyWife2001 said:
What happens if you are in Primary or Advanced at either Vance or Meridian? (Since they are both on the list!)

Vance is on the "list"? What list? I haven't seen it...

Ok, enough with the harassment... how can Vance close? Doesn't it have T-37, T-1, AND T-38? Seems crazy to close such a busy base.

NavyWife2001

Right! There is no list right? LOL! I googled it and it came up. Yes, Vance has t-37, t-38, t-1, and now t-6. I think it would be crazy too, but you never know. My hubby selects before the BRAC so that will be good.
And, I read an article about Vance being the most cost efficient in pilot training. The only reason that I can think that Vance is on it is because of the weather. It is SUPER windy here! Some days are absolutely gorgeous but winds are out of range. So, you know what that means, no flying! Crazy!
Anywho, I know alot of people are awaiting the final decision. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyWife2001 said:
Right! There is no list right? LOL! I googled it and it came up. Yes, Vance has t-37, t-38, t-1, and now t-6. I think it would be crazy too, but you never know. My hubby selects before the BRAC so that will be good.
And, I read an article about Vance being the most cost efficient in pilot training. The only reason that I can think that Vance is on it is because of the weather. It is SUPER windy here! Some days are absolutely gorgeous but winds are out of range. So, you know what that means, no flying! Crazy!
Anywho, I know alot of people are awaiting the final decision. :)

I wouldn't trust any list that's not official, if you know, it's not official.

Close Vance because of winds? Bah, then they'd close Whiting and Corpus because of thunderstorms. Most of that crap is a political battle.

NavyWife2001

LOL! Gotcha! Yeah and they just built brand new houses here some aren't even completed. I have heard though that they have been on the BRAC list before.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line is: Nobody knows squat, there isn't really any way to accurately predict what will get closed, and it typically takes years to close a base. When Cecil field got BRAC'd, they were still flying S-3s and F-18s out of there two years later, so I wouldn't worry about how BRAC is going to affect the pipeline.

Keeping it real,

Brett

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Vance isin't going anywhere, especially because it's too windy.

Columbus AFB in Mississippi and Altus AFB in OK are going to be the AETC training base victims in this round of BRAC.

Look for Sheppard AFB (or possibly Holloman) to be realigned to make up for the loss of Columbus.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
The BRAC Commission will hold it first meetings on 5/3 and 5/4. Mostly administative; swearing in and etc. Open to public except afternoon of 5/4 will be closed door for classified briefings.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Bottom line is: Nobody knows squat, there isn't really any way to accurately predict what will get closed, and it typically takes years to close a base. When Cecil field got BRAC'd, they were still flying S-3s and F-18s out of there two years later, so I wouldn't worry about how BRAC is going to affect the pipeline.

Keeping it real,

Brett
EXACTLY! Good lord, I've been hearing people speculate about what's getting closed since we started this (BRAC process) almost two years ago.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.........people speculate about what's getting closed since we started this (BRAC process) almost two years ago.

Soooooo .... then this means we shouldn't speculate or talk about BRAC lists here prior to the "official" committe stand- up ??? :)

I've been involved in NAS Whidbey and it's relationship to BRAC since 1993. We wouldn't have too much to do if we didn't talk and speculate about it during the interim. In fact, we would have lost NAS Whidbey in the early BRAC rounds had we not been pro-actively "involved" --- before the fact. And in point of fact, we've been pretty successful, so far --- 'course there's always tomorrow --- that's why "we" are involved. Even Meridian, MS came hat in hand to "us" for advice, counsel and comfort.

Talking about it IS keeping it "real". Otherwise, you are just a bystander and consigned to being on the receiving end of what someone else DOES . (BRAC smiley face :censored_ )

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
They just had a newsconference at the Pentagon.Any news?

Last word I had was Secretary Rumsfeld has scheduled a press conference for Friday, May 13, 2005 at 9:15AM, ET. List will be released at the PC, placed on the BRAC WebSite concurrent with the PC and published in Monday Federal Register.

The aforementioned list is Secretary Rumsfeld recommendations to the BRAC. Long way to go to approval.