• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boxman ... Rip

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
brucewoodphotosmallvm8.jpg
..... CAPT Bruce "Boxman" Wood, USN, ret.

Very sad news ... CAPT Bruce Wood, the prototype for the A-6 B/N in "Flight of the Intruder", a great friend and shipmate, has taken his last flight West ....

For those of you not privileged to know or fly with Bruce, he was also the last C.O. of NAS CUBI Point. As such, he was directly responsible for taking pro-active measures which collected, crated, and shipped the Vietnam-era Naval Aviation "treasures" from the CUBI O' Club bar to Pensacola for the re-creation of the "bar" at the Naval Aviation Museum.

.... an excerpt from his obit:

" .... Bruce “Boxman” Wood

The life of a great warrior, husband, father, and friend came to an abrupt end on Monday, February 25, 2008. We ache in his absence but take comfort in knowing that legions of people have been touched by his lasting influence.

Initially working for Weyerhauser as a civil engineer in the uninhabited forests surrounding Eugene, Oregon, Bruce answered the call of his country during Vietnam by joining the U.S. Navy, attending Officer CandidatesSchool, and ultimately earning Naval Flight Officer wings in Pensacola, Florida. As an A-6 Intruder Bombardier / Navigator, he deployed overseas more than a half dozen times and went on to become one of the most accomplished warriors of his era, leading multiple squadrons and literally thousands of men and women in the service of our country.

“Boxman” earned many accolades for superior professional achievement: flying nearly 5,000 career hours in the A-6; bagging 915 carrier landings; commanding squadrons VA-52 and VA-128; serving as Executive Officer of aircraft carrier USS Ranger; serving as Commanding Officer of NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines; and numerous others. More importantly, he earned respect, honor, friendship, and appreciation from the men and women who served with and for him. Above all else, he was a true patriot and loved his military brethren both young and old – and they knew it, and they loved him too. Bruce’s 28-year Navy career was legendary and a source of great pride for him and his family. He retired as a Captain (O-6) in 1994 but never stopped fighting for his beliefs...."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Not addressed to me, but my guess would be....No.

Believe it or not, I think it was the character named "Boxman". I didn't know the man, but it seems to fit.

RIP.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s....was the character Virgil Cole based on this gentleman??
Well, the movie was crap, except for the flying scenes, especially some of the night flights. "Tiger" Cole (?) was a composite of several stories, personalities, and real-life incidents. "Boxman" in the movie was a pilot; but a B/N in the book -- and the callsign that was "borrowed" for the book originated w/ Capt Wood.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Well, the movie was crap, except for the flying scenes, especially some of the night flights. "Tiger" Cole (?) was a composite of several stories, personalities, and real-life incidents. "Boxman" in the movie was a pilot; but a B/N in the book -- and the callsign that was "borrowed" for the book originated w/ Capt Wood.

I would be interested in hearing your opinion of the book. Not that it won't keep me from reading it again, just curious. I'm also wondering if the real Boxman earned his callsign the same way the character in the book did.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Point taken. The second question was typed without thinking, my humblest apologies. Although I thought my first question was pretty harmless...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Sad to hear. Flight of the Intruder (the book) came out in 1986 as I was graduating college and heading to AOCS. It cemented firmly in my mind that I was an attack guy and that fighter guys were support. Alas, the Navy thought I was to better serve as a geekmo but at least I flew a blunt nosed piece of the Grumman Ironworks.

RIP Boxman.

HuggyU2

None
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend,... sounds like a great American,... a loss for all of us in the aviation community...
Tailwinds to you, sir.

Nose

pilot
Met Koontz at the publication party for "Punk's War" Great guy. Even he didn't like the movie.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
brucewoodphotosmallvm8.jpg
..... CAPT Bruce "Boxman" Wood, USN, ret.

Very sad news ... CAPT Bruce Wood, the prototype for the A-6 B/N in "Flight of the Intruder", a great friend and shipmate, has taken his last flight West ....

For those of you not privileged to know or fly with Bruce, he was also the last C.O. of NAS CUBI Point. As such, he was directly responsible for taking pro-active measures which collected, crated, and shipped the Vietnam-era Naval Aviation "treasures" from the CUBI O' Club bar to Pensacola for the re-creation of the "bar" at the Naval Aviation Museum.

.... an excerpt from his obit:

" .... Bruce “Boxman” Wood

The life of a great warrior, husband, father, and friend came to an abrupt end on Monday, February 25, 2008. We ache in his absence but take comfort in knowing that legions of people have been touched by his lasting influence.

Initially working for Weyerhauser as a civil engineer in the uninhabited forests surrounding Eugene, Oregon, Bruce answered the call of his country during Vietnam by joining the U.S. Navy, attending Officer CandidatesSchool, and ultimately earning Naval Flight Officer wings in Pensacola, Florida. As an A-6 Intruder Bombardier / Navigator, he deployed overseas more than a half dozen times and went on to become one of the most accomplished warriors of his era, leading multiple squadrons and literally thousands of men and women in the service of our country.

“Boxman” earned many accolades for superior professional achievement: flying nearly 5,000 career hours in the A-6; bagging 915 carrier landings; commanding squadrons VA-52 and VA-128; serving as Executive Officer of aircraft carrier USS Ranger; serving as Commanding Officer of NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines; and numerous others. More importantly, he earned respect, honor, friendship, and appreciation from the men and women who served with and for him. Above all else, he was a true patriot and loved his military brethren both young and old – and they knew it, and they loved him too. Bruce’s 28-year Navy career was legendary and a source of great pride for him and his family. He retired as a Captain (O-6) in 1994 but never stopped fighting for his beliefs...."

Went through the RAG as a cat I when he was going through as a cat II. I had the pleasure of flying with him on one occasion after I retreaded, and was a student at the Command aviation safety school when he was the CO in 1993. Was in his MAWS class at Whidbey, along with another A6 legend named Steve Richmond. Listening to these two tell stories was worth every minute of sitting in a classroom instead of flying. He was an awesome guy.

Also drank pretty heavily with him in the PI on a couple occasions when he was a squadron CO, and knew we'd never ever be able to relive such moments except in our memories. If you go to the Intruder Association website, there are several articles about him, including his death, which is a must read, I believe, so we prevent this from happening again.