• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bowflex

flyerstud4

Been looking into buying a bowflex. Does anyone own one or used one before? Are they worth it? Let me know, thanks.

flopper

Re-constituted from a previous post of mine:

Originally Posted by fox2102
Are the bowflex home gyms worth the money? With tax time in my parents said they maybe able to help me get one.

Bowflex is one of the best investments you can buy. You will have yourself a gym for the rest of your life. If you are interested in them take a look at this one, http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-Xtreme...8497073&sr=8-1 This one has pretty much all that you will need, and is not as big and bulky as the ultimate 2. These are better than free weights in the sense that there is less chance of injury, especially for someone like you with little experience with free weights. I don't mean this in the sense that you will get a better workout with free weights either. In my experience, I have found that working out with the Bowflex is overall more effecient, safer and easier to use than free weights once you get a good routine down. While pound for pound the resistance of a power rod and a free weight is not the same, you can upgrade the Bowflex to 410 pounds, more than you will ever need. Who wants to drive to a gym anyways?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's one in the "gym" of my subdivision. It might be okay for when you can't get to a gym, but I'd never use it as a foundation for a workout program. On the other hand, if you have some coin to drop, investing in something like this would be a good foundation.

flyerstud4

There's one in the "gym" of my subdivision. It might be okay for when you can't get to a gym, but I'd never use it as a foundation for a workout program. On the other hand, if you have some coin to drop, investing in something like this would be a good foundation.

very nice. I think that is the toughest part about crossfit, finding all the stuff to do the workouts.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not really. Only the ropes and rings are hard to find, and they have substitute exercises if you can't. The rest of it is very NON-equipment intensive, since there are no machine-based exercises, and the weight stuff is all compound movement.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
My parents have a bowflex and I like it. I wouldn't rely solely on it, but it's nice to use now and then to mix things up. The resistance is interesting because the "lift" gets harder as you go, not easier.

Its real limitations: You can't do olympic lifts or even deadlifts. Not enough resistance for certain exercises. Other than that, it's not bad.

Rasczak

Marine
very nice. I think that is the toughest part about crossfit, finding all the stuff to do the workouts.
He's right. I did all the crossfit stuff without hardly anything. You can use a seabag full of stuff, or whatever you need man. I built mine up slowly over a few months. I started with just a pullup bar.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Bowflex is an awesome investment if you're not into power lifting. I can't tell you how nice it is to roll out of bed and knock out a workout in the AM in less than 30 minutes, or to get a good lift on after work without fighting for equipment at the gym. Plus all the time you waste driving to/from the gym. The convenience alone is worth the price.

nugget81

pilot
I'll echo what's been said above...It is super convenient, but sometimes lacks the full amount of weight needed for a high weight/low rep workout session. I'd probably have another one if I had the room for it....

flyerstud4

Bowflex is an awesome investment if you're not into power lifting. I can't tell you how nice it is to roll out of bed and knock out a workout in the AM in less than 30 minutes, or to get a good lift on after work without fighting for equipment at the gym. Plus all the time you waste driving to/from the gym. The convenience alone is worth the price.

Thanks for the input gents. The convenience factor is one of the main reasons why i am looking into getting one.