• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bought my first gun today

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Went to the Pensacola Gun Show today and bought a used, but in great condition, Sig SP2022 in 9mm. I intended to buy something in .40 (Glock or Sig) but honestly it didn't matter. Ran into a former student of mine who had his Springfield Armory XD 40 with him. Nice gun but chose the Sig instead (less expensive, night sights, felt better). I didn't know this at the time but there is apparently a 3 day wait in Florida before you can actually HAVE the gun (unless you have a CC permit, which I don't.... yet). There is no delay in paying for it though. So I have to pick it up on Thursday..... which doesn't equal 3 days but what do I know.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats! Never sell it. Everyone I know that's sold their first gun, regrets it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ya, I got my glock almost 8 months ago. First gun is a great feeling. Congrats, and good choice.

snake020

Contributor
I don't regret selling my first gun. Beretta 92FS was good to familiarize with the M9, but I'm happier with my SiG and Colt now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
M9 sucks, IMHO. I shot it once, so my experience is extremely limited, but I had a MUCH higher opinion of the 1911 and M&P 45 (not for caliber, but for style, accuracy, feel, and aesthetics).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Ah, first gun. Still have mine, even though it is a 40 year old JC Higgins .22 that rightfully should have been melted down for scrap years ago.

Just be careful: after you get that first gun, they tend to breed in the safe. One day you open the lock and realized you need a bigger storage unit, and that's perfectly okay. :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Went to the Pensacola Gun Show today and bought a used, but in great condition, Sig SP2022 in 9mm. I intended to buy something in .40 (Glock or Sig) but honestly it didn't matter. Ran into a former student of mine who had his Springfield Armory XD 40 with him. Nice gun but chose the Sig instead (less expensive, night sights, felt better). I didn't know this at the time but there is apparently a 3 day wait in Florida before you can actually HAVE the gun (unless you have a CC permit, which I don't.... yet). There is no delay in paying for it though. So I have to pick it up on Thursday..... which doesn't equal 3 days but what do I know.

Sorry I missed you. I was there, too. Sold a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle I bought 12 years ago but never have really used (my fault). I arrived 3 hrs after opening & there was still a line to get in. I guess there was a lot of pent-up demand for hunting season after 6 months of Spring & Summer.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M9 sucks, IMHO. I shot it once, so my experience is extremely limited, but I had a MUCH higher opinion of the 1911 and M&P 45 (not for caliber, but for style, accuracy, feel, and aesthetics).
Amen. Shot it once and hated it. It's designed for people with big gorilla hands. I'd take a P22X or Glock over that thing any day.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Amen. Shot it once and hated it. It's designed for people with big gorilla hands. I'd take a P22X or Glock over that thing any day.

Agreed. I love my glock, but it doesn't even come close to the accuracy of the 1911 or M&P. Now if only I could find a nice carry revolver with good accuracy and craftsmanship in a 357 mag. The S&W 38 special I shot was too light and the recoil and trigger pull caused a lot of inaccuracy.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Ah, first gun. Still have mine, even though it is a 40 year old JC Higgins .22 that rightfully should have been melted down for scrap years ago.

Just be careful: after you get that first gun, they tend to breed in the safe. One day you open the lock and realized you need a bigger storage unit, and that's perfectly okay. :)

If I wasn't married with 2 kids, I would have come home with 3. Yes, guns are like tattoos. I'm already trying to come up with a good excuse for the next one.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. I love my glock, but it doesn't even come close to the accuracy of the 1911 or M&P. Now if only I could find a nice carry revolver with good accuracy and craftsmanship in a 357 mag. The S&W 38 special I shot was too light and the recoil and trigger pull caused a lot of inaccuracy.

I share your disdain for the M9. Got to shoot the MK23 about a year ago, and I can fully understand why the SEALS chose it. Hell of a weapon; bummer the civvie version comes with that crappy H&K price point.

For a .357 wheelgun, I love the Dan Wesson model 15. Throw the 2" barrel and the small grips on for CC. Then with 5 minutes of lead time, you can swap up to the 8" barrel for pounding silhouettes. It's also all stainless, so it won't jump like the Airlites. It will take some time combing the gun shows to find one, though, but well worth it.:(

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I wasn't married with 2 kids, I would have come home with 3. Yes, guns are like tattoos. I'm already trying to come up with a good excuse for the next one.
Now that you've got a pistol, you need a good rifle.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Now that you've got a pistol, you need a good rifle.

Thats the position I'm in. I can't wait to get back to Florida so I can get a rifle.

The question of WHICH rifle still needs to be answered.....