• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bottom Line on Allergies and MEPS

asomm1

Hey all,
I realize there are tons and tons of these kind of threads, but there never seems to be any consensus on the issue. Seasonal allergies and MEPS. What to do? I plan to go to MEPS in the very near future, and with allergies I have two options:

1. Tell the truth.
2. Don't tell the truth/"Under-exaggerate"

While I have a moral issue with blatantly lying, I also have an issue with being DQ'd for something that won't cost tax payers a thing. I have taken Flonase and OTC stuff for mild allergies, and they're fine. I would be more okay with just telling MEPS I have them, but I had a kidney infection a few years ago (which actually doesn't need a waiver with med records!) so I don't want the two issues to stack up against me. Regardless, what is your take or experience with MEPS and allergies?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Blatant lying v. sorta not telling the truth. Same thing.

However, in your case seriously doubt that seasonal allergies will ever be an issue. The kidney infection is a non-factor, assuming you have no residual symptoms. Tell the truth and let USN give you the meds. Don't ever let there be a question as to your integrity. It does matter.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had seasonal allergies growing up in one of the worst pollen producing places in the US. Never had a significant problem since (in any of my past or present duty stations), and it was a non-issue when I raised it with the folks @ NAMI when I checked in for API. They did some extra x-rays to see if I had any sinus damage, and when they could see that I didn't have any, I haven't heard anything about it since. My flight doc in Miramar prescribed me some allergy meds recently for a trip back home, and you should be able to use Allegra/Claratin and/or Flonase while on flight status. Hope that helps! Be honest though, and you shouldn't have much to worry about. I think the big hangups they have are with folks who have a history of asthma or people who have used antihistamine shots in the past (very serious allergy sufferers).

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Agree with the above. I have bad seasonal allergies. Doc prescribed me allergra, singular and flonase on a daily basis and they let me fly so I don't think any of this should be a problem for you. They also let me get a septoplasty done before advanced without a wavier so I don't think that you should have any problems.