• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boston Globe's 2009 in Pictures

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
What I meant by my disgust was not for the mere fact that I do not agree with his policies, or his race, or his placement in the office he is holding. It is that the media and brainless individuals have put so much exaltation on the event and especially himself. Has he proven himself at all since he has been in? I'd say not, and from a militaristic standpoint, he has hesitated and faltered and not even listened to the commanders he placed. Is another president being sworn in in a world of many elected heads of state take such precedence over all other events captured on film this year? Sounds like too many have soaked up the media's praise of him, sounds like lunacy.

Please clarify for me, because the interweb is sometimes not the easiest or most convenient way to communicate certain ideas. When I read what you wrote, that I have excerpted above, here is what it sounded like to me:

Yes I am disgusted by that picture, for several reasons. First of all, I don't agree with the president's policies, I don't like African Americans, and I don't think that Barack Obama should be serving as my Commander in Chief. But most of all, I'm disgusted by the media's adoration of him and the fact that so many people have bought into it.

Is that about right? Because I think that most reasonably intelligent people with a decent understanding of the English language would read it the same way. If that is not what you meant to say (and I sure hope it wasn't), I recommend that you edit your post.

skidz

adrenaline junky
Please clarify for me, because the interweb is sometimes not the easiest or most convenient way to communicate certain ideas. When I read what you wrote, that I have excerpted above, here is what it sounded like to me:

Yes I am disgusted by that picture, for several reasons. First of all, I don't agree with the president's policies, I don't like African Americans, and I don't think that Barack Obama should be serving as my Commander in Chief. But most of all, I'm disgusted by the media's adoration of him and the fact that so many people have bought into it.

Is that about right? Because I think that most reasonably intelligent people with a decent understanding of the English language would read it the same way. If that is not what you meant to say (and I sure hope it wasn't), I recommend that you edit your post.
I am disgusted by several of the "top" pictures, not just his. I do not agree with his policies, promised and the few completed. His race was not an issue brought up by myself, nor was his position as the current President. But in regards to the title he currently holds, we at my level do not always keep silent in our opinion of that, just saying, yet not. And yes, I am disgusted at the media's adoration and exaltation of him to such an asinine degree of stature, and at all those who have dropped to their knees and lapped it all up. I just do not see how he even remotely deserves such status and reverence, at all.

McBuff

Sees the light
By my count, 3 out of 120 pictures have something to do with the president. I'd say the inauguration of any president is pretty newsworthy and would absolutely expect it to be part of any "best of '09" compilation. Of course the media is obsessed with this guy and it is nauseating at times, but it's not the case here. Just out of curiosity though, do you get pissed every time you see or hear anything about him? If so, I do find that to be pretty closed minded. You may miss something if you just assume everything he says or does is wrong.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I am disgusted at the media's adoration and exaltation of him to such an asinine degree of statue, and at all those who have dropped to their knees and lapped it all up. I just do not see how he even remotely deserves such status and reverence, at all.
I agree with this.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
He's the President of the United States. The position alone deserves your respect.

Really? A title/office alone deserves my respect? I usually start with one's actions, ideals, and maybe one's reputation and go from there ...

Of course any of us would do our duty as members of the US military with respect to his decisions as CiC, that doesn't mean his decisions/actions deserve respect ... nor does that translate into mindless respect for that person.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Really? A title/office alone deserves my respect? I usually start with one's actions, ideals, and maybe one's reputation and go from there ...

Of course any of us would do our duty as members of the US military with respect to his decisions as CiC, that doesn't mean his decisions/actions deserve respect ... nor does that translate into mindless respect for that person.

You don't automatically give someone respect for their title? You don't give a CO at a new squadron you walk into respect just because he's the CO?

I'm not going to argue about his politics or policies or whatever else people have issues with. But I do think as President of the United States he deserves a certain degree of respect. And it's not like he's some Joe Shmo (sp??) off the street that I need to check his history to make sure he's not a complete moron.

So yes, the fact that he's President and I don't know what goes into his decisions....I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he deserves enough respect to not have people throw a fit because his picture was put as #1 of the year.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he deserves enough respect to not have people throw a fit because his picture was put as #1 of the year.

I don't think they were even ranking any of the photos anyways. His happened to be first but each set has its own 40 photos that span a year

Set 3 has some intriguing photos

skidz

adrenaline junky
He's the President of the United States. The position alone deserves your respect.
His position demands respect from my position, but he has shown nothing that is deserving of my personal respect for him, and he has actually proven the opposite from my personal opinion.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
His position demands respect from my position, but he has shown nothing that is deserving of my personal respect for him, and he has actually proven the opposite from my personal opinion.

Fair enough. I can't argue with your personal feelings. But I can argue with the fact that you totally lost it over a stupid bunch of pictures. He's the president and he's black....that's going to be news.... I agree with you that the media has taken WAY too big of an interest in him because of his race and his family. But that's not his fault....

skidz

adrenaline junky
You don't automatically give someone respect for their title? You don't give a CO at a new squadron you walk into respect just because he's the CO?

I'm not going to argue about his politics or policies or whatever else people have issues with. But I do think as President of the United States he deserves a certain degree of respect. And it's not like he's some Joe Shmo (sp??) off the street that I need to check his history to make sure he's not a complete moron.

So yes, the fact that he's President and I don't know what goes into his decisions....I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he deserves enough respect to not have people throw a fit because his picture was put as #1 of the year.
What I believe Herc meant by that was that title/position does not give you any personal respect. Respect for the title/position/rank comes from your own title/position/rank, not personal. Sound about right Herc?

His degree of mental ability is not in debate at this time, but we can all take a well educated guess when looking what his past includes....

Sure, he's the President, but I will not just give him the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that I am under oath to follow his lawful orders, that is my stand. And he does not deserve any respect, as discussed, his position deserves respect, as it has not changed, only the one sitting in the seat. His name is not in my oath, only the position he currently and finitely holds is in my oath unfortunately, officers in my beloved Corps did not have to swear to this but only to the Constitution. If he would like to make the same mistake Adolf Hitler did, .......

skidz

adrenaline junky
Fair enough. I can't argue with your personal feelings. But I can argue with the fact that you totally lost it over a stupid bunch of pictures. He's the president and he's black....that's going to be news.... I agree with you that the media has taken WAY too big of an interest in him because of his race and his family. But that's not his fault....
It may sound futile in some minds, but do understand that I have not lost it or flipped over someone's list of pictures that they ranked by their own opinion. I have used words that portray my thoughts, but in no way have been bent out of shape or had them affect me more than enough to give a response and moment of my time. Our discussion here from there on out has been about other matter than these pictures.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
It may sound futile in some minds, but do understand that I have not lost it or flipped over someone's list of pictures that they ranked by their own opinion. I have used words that portray my thoughts, but in no way have been bent out of shape or had them affect me more than enough to give a response and moment of my time. Our discussion here from there on out has been about other matter than these pictures.

ok...this is going no-where. So we can agree to disagree about the pictures and respect.

Clux4

Banned
So ... how does this comment make you any different than him now?

Well, you have read his comments, so there is no mystery here.
Do you think we need people who think like this in our military?

I forget; there is freedom of expression.

skidz

adrenaline junky
Well, you have read his comments, so there is no mystery here.
Do you think we need people who think like this in our military?

I forget; there is freedom of expression.
Oh, that's right, we must have a military full of individuals who relinquish their thought process and personal opinions and convictions for the say of one man. That turned out great every time in the past!

So I should not question those in command when something does not appear as right and just? Should I follow any order I am given, blindly? I beg to differ. I will keep my oath I swore to the Constitution and lawful orders. There is much our Constitution gives us the right to do, including about our own government, so in actuality, we are demanded to think and question at times.