• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots, other gear, for TBS

LegalWarrior

Gentlemen,

I might have been in the last OCC class to use the black boots, now I'm headed to TBS and was hoping to get some advice on the best place to pick up the new tan boot, good brands, etc. I've seen them available online, PX, and at the stores in Q-town.

Do I need more than one pair? Is there any other gear that should get?

Also, I plan on taking off a few weeks early from my civilian job in order to better prepare physically and mentally for TBS. Is there anything I can read or otherwise do to make the transition (loosing the civilian rust) a little easier?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you an air contract or a "legal warrior"??? If you are an air contract I'd say one pair would be enough but keep in mind when you come in from a FEX and those boots are soaking wet and covered with mud what are you going to wear when your buds clean up and put their good cammies and boots on to go to chow? I wore the brown boots all through TBS but at the time we could wear the black ones also. So when we came back from the field and the brown boots were wet, I'd throw on a pair of the blacks.

If you're a legal/ground guy I'd get 2, maybe even 3 pairs.

For all you air guys.......I finished TBS almost 3 years ago and I can count on one hand how many times I've worn cammies.

...something to ponder

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
We wear cammies more now because VT-2 and 6 allow the SDO to wear cammies for watch. Still doesn't necessitate another set of boots but it sure is nice not to have to wear "chucks" for a 12 or 24 hour watch.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Isn't everyone entitled to one full issue of the new gear? If Legalwarrior hasn't been issued brown boots shouldn't he get issue at least a pair?

Crowbar

None
LegalWarrior said:
Do I need more than one pair?

Is there anything I can read or otherwise do to make the transition (loosing the civilian rust) a little easier?

Well, the uniform regs require you to have two pair. One hot weather, one cold weather. Even beyond that it's a good idea to have two sets of boots, especially at TBS. There will be nights when you're out slogging through Beaverdam Run until midnight or later then will sit in class or drill or something similar the whole next morning. So having a fresh pair of boots will be a necessity for that.

The best way to get ready for TBS is to think about something other than TBS. You'll get "comfort based decisions" and "sleep/chow/morale is a crutch" and "what now, lieutenant?" and "no, we're not secured yet" and "when is on deck time?" enough during your time there that anything you can do beforehand to have fun will be to your benefit.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I wouldn't worry too much in terms of mental preparation for TBS. Its a long 6 months, but the pace is relatively easy compared to that of OCS. There's plenty of down time (too much), and you more or less always know whats going to be in front of you. Check out some of the other TBS postings on the site for gear info, etc. I assume you're picking up with Charlie company, which means a hot Summer. Definitely keep that in mind when figuring out what you'll need. Also, you'll have plenty of time during zero week to confer with the other new LTs about everything. Don't stress it-

KBayDog

Practice waking up at 0400. Then showering/dressing. Then sitting in a hot room in a hard chair until 1700. Then, play some video games for three hours. Then, go to CiCi's. Then, go to sleep. Then, do it all over again.

Once a week, wake up at 0400. Then go run six miles through some mud. Then take five minutes to shower and dress (five minutes total for you and your three roommates, that is). Then go back to the hot classroom until 1700. Then, play some video games...

Once a month or so, wake up at 0400. Then smear grease paint all over your face. Then put 100# of gear on your back. Then stay awake for a week. Then spend 10 hours cleaning your weapon. Then play some video games...

Speaking of which, time to get to CiCi's...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Practice waking up at 0400. Then showering/dressing. Then sitting in a hot room in a hard chair until 1700. Then, play some video games for three hours. Then, go to CiCi's. Then, go to sleep. Then, do it all over again.

Once a week, wake up at 0400. Then go run six miles through some mud. Then take five minutes to shower and dress (five minutes total for you and your three roommates, that is). Then go back to the hot classroom until 1700. Then, play some video games...

Once a month or so, wake up at 0400. Then smear grease paint all over your face. Then put 100# of gear on your back. Then stay awake for a week. Then spend 10 hours cleaning your weapon. Then play some video games...

Speaking of which, time to get to CiCi's...

This is the most accurate description of TBS posted thus far on this site. Substitute Sam's for CiCi's every now and then.

KBayDog

*FORGOT ONE VITAL REHEARSAL*

Once you are done practicing for TBS, practice checking into Pensacola and listening to the Squids complain about how hard it was getting paid to do nothing but go to McGuire's and Flounders for the past six months prior to API.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar said:
Or Pancho Villa's.

Sorry, but Sam's had Reubens and the best jailbait in Garrisonville. Pancho Villa... well, as a Texan, it was merely a substitute till I could escape VA and find real TexMex again.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
you know there are two Pancho Villas now... I prefer the one with the twins working- my self restraint only goes so far.

-as for marriage, I give all you guys credit (especially the wives). Tough on you both. For me, at least currently, it falls under the 'crutch' category (not knocking it, just not ready). For now, Georgetown will have to do. Maybe I should hang out at Applebees too...