• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots 'N Utes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
I just got done with a boots n Utes run and man i got the $h!t kicked out of me. I can run an 20:13 3mile but I couldn't even make 3 miles. and i was runnning SLOW. My shins started to hurt (cuz my laces were too tight). and Hills are killing me too. What am i to do?? I return to Srs 9 July. I wanna train hard but i also don't want to break. PLZ Help!!

Clux4

Banned
I would say run and stay in shape. Leave the boots and utes till you get to OCS. Just make sure you break the boots-in properly. Don't hurt yourself before you get there. Running in boots is definitely not a safe practise but it is something we have to do. Really sad to think that many people will walk away from OCS with knee injuries and other leg problems. Another thing you should do is get good insoles from your local running store. That will at least reduce the shock and things.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Make sure you wear the correct socks. I dont know what they say/allow you to wear at seniors, but whenever i wear boots to run/hike i make sure i have a pair of liners and a thicker cotton/wool layer. That helps me deal with some pain and damage the boots give.

A couple of my friends are in the PLC program and they can never run the same with boots on. They just alternate days running with and without boots.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Running w/ boots is harder for two reasons: 1. They're not soft and cushy like running shoes. 2. They're just plain heavier. LOTS heavier than running shoes.

I swear by Sof Run+ insoles. They'll run you about $15-20 a set, but man are the comfy. Saved me at Parris Island, and at TBS, too.

Speaking of TBS, if ever there were a time that you'll get very, VERY used to running in boots and utes, that's it. I can think of maybe four times in six months when we wore just plain PT gear. And since my SPC was all about "Medieval PT", we wore boots, utes, and a minimum of a flak, but generally he added helmets/patrol pack/rifles, too. And we always, always, ALWAYS went swimming...On every run.

Ah... Such simpler times. No EPs, no limits, no RIs. Just lots of err's, yut's, oorah's, sweat, etc.

CTE83

Boots can definitely kick your ass on a run. I run a 300 PFT but running in boots still gives me a good kick in the butt. I think the added weight of boots is much more apparent for us skinny light-weights :D . I wouldn't run in boots too much before leaving if you're not used to them-- you stand likely to injure yourself before you even get to OCS. I'd suggest wearing them around the house to break them in (and to toughen up your feet a bit).

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.