• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots for OCS - Bates Lites

usmcecho4

pilot
When I was at OCS 01 and 03 they told us which boots we were going to wear in order to break them in evenly--this fequently mean changing out of dry boots into wet ones. Consequently those people with lights didn't get the opportunity to wear them. I'd make sure this isn't still the case before spending 200 on boots. Anyway I found that the ICBs that they issue were the best (just make sure you get a pair that fit when you're at gear issue and don't leave until you do).

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
We had priors in my OCS platoon who brought some of the older verisons of the new desert boots and they wore them as they wanted. However, it was another reason for the SI's to get on their case. The desert boots break in real easy, so I think as long as your feet are used to PT in boots, you will be fine. I ran a bunch in a pair of the old black jungles before I went and I thought the brand new deserts felt BETTER than my broken-in boots. Do whatever you feel would be best for your feet ... they are the most important thing to keep in shape at OCS. Good luck.

I also have wide feet and usually get a wide version of a running shoe. However, the regular width boots work fine for me. I wouldnt let there be too much rooms for your foot to move side to side - thats a good formula for blisters. They will stretch some with wear and when you get them wet.

s/f

PS - the ICBs are great, just like usmcecho4 said

Midshipmanjosh

I just graduated from OCS (10 weeker) and i bought bates lights on my week 4 libo. I broke them in on our six mile hump. After i bought them, i shaved my o course time down to 59 seconds. I also wore them on every hump (9 and 13 mile hump) and my feet did not get tore up.

They saved my tail when it came to the e-course and the crt course. What the other guys have said about loosing traction is true, but its only for about 100 yards.

They also do tend to break down, but then again, your pushing them through more muck and mud than another pair of boots.

In my opinion, i might have failed the e course and possibly the crt course if i had not had bates lights. I spent the 130 bucks and it was worth every penny.

Also, i run in a 11.5 go faster, and i bought a 11.5 bates light.

BILLDO

Liable to get caught on a trip wire...
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I have a pair of 11.5 Bates Lites Jungle's that have seen 2 E-Courses at TBS, and MaYbE 4-5 days of garrison and that's it. I specifically bought them for PT but we unfortunately stopped the majority of our PT by the time I had enough $$ for them. I paid maybe $130ish, pm me if your interested, I can probably cut a good deal, seeing I doubt I'll need them in the near future.

AggieMC

Future Marine Aviator
I graduated the 10 week course this Aug. I thought the lites did fine. I did notice that I had to adjust a little on the rope to grip it. We did alot of boots and utes runs, so, in my opinion, they were worth the money to get them.