• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots for OCS - Bates Lites

tperng

I've heard good things about the new Bates Lites boots and would like to purchase a pair before I ship to OCS in October. I have a question about size and width of the Bates Lites.

I'm a woman with wide feet, so most woman's shoe sizes are too narrow for me. But for some reason, I can wear regular width women's running shoes.

So I'd like to know how well does running shoe size & width correspond to the Bates Lite size/width? For example, if I have size 8 Regular width running shoes, should I purchase size 8 Regular width Bates Lites? Or are the Bates Lites narrower than running shoes so I should get a wider size?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
DO NOT BUY BATES LITES...
I spent 4 years in them... they suck @$$...

However, Altimas are pretty good.

The Bates killed my feet, they didn't fit right (tried multiple widths) and the fall apart quickly. Altimas on the other hand are more durable, breathe better and are alot more comfortble.
Altimas take longer to break in than Bates, but one a set of Altimas are broken in, you're golden.

As far as size, it all depends on the shoe. My advice is to get measured when you get to the store. If you can't, start at your shoe size, then adjust from there as needed.

BILLDO

Liable to get caught on a trip wire...
Holy christ do Marines actually still wear Altima's? Bates Lights run pretty small, so get a bigger size. As for being a POS, they aren't used for durability, they are used because they are damn light, but honestly, you don't do boots and utes runs at OCS enough to warrant Bates Lights IMO, but at TBS you do.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
BILLDO said:
Holy christ do Marines actually still wear Altima's?

Short answer, no they don't...

TheBubba said:
DO NOT BUY BATES LITES...
I spent 4 years in them... they suck @$$...

The Bates killed my feet, they didn't fit right (tried multiple widths) and the fall apart quickly.

Agreed, Bates are the wrong boots to buy. Instead look for a good pair of Bellevilles. Awesome boots and feel almost like running shoes. Not really much need to break them in ahead of time either...

tperng said:
I've heard good things about the new Bates Lites boots and would like to purchase a pair before I ship to OCS in October.

I have had 4 pairs of bates in two years and NONE of them are any good. They fall apart quickly, discolor sometimes, and just tear up your feet like nothing I have seen in other boots.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

tperng

Thanks for your responses, but I am slightly confused. I've also heard that for field boots, the Bellevilles are much better than Bates. But the sales rep from quanticoboot, my OSO, and posts from other people have said that the Bates Lites are very different from regular Bates boots and the Lites are ideal for PT. Is that not true?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
One of the pairs I had were Bates Lites...might be ok for PT but some of the PT you will be doing at OCS will require traction which Lites are bad for. Also the soles are different, thus the loss in traction...

You can buy them if you want, its your money, just saying what I saw when I was wearing them.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'm going to jump on the pile here. You will run alot in boots and utes at OCS. However, as a 10 weeker you'll have a little more rest between events and more time to break in your boots.

The Bates Lites are a garrison boot. They aren't meant to be worn in the field and they won't hold up. As previously stated they lack traction for things like the CRT and "E" Course. Some of those in my Platoon who wore the Lites on humps ended up with some serious foot problems due to the lack of support. They're probably great for sprint events like the "O"course, but a few seconds off your o-course time isn't worth the $120.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
DocT said:
I'm going to jump on the pile here. You will run alot in boots and utes at OCS. However, as a 10 weeker you'll have a little more rest between events and more time to break in your boots.

The Bates Lites are a garrison boot. They aren't meant to be worn in the field and they won't hold up. As previously stated they lack traction for things like the CRT and "E" Course. Some of those in my Platoon who wore the Lites on humps ended up with some serious foot problems due to the lack of support. They're probably great for sprint events like the "O"course, but a few seconds off your o-course time isn't worth the $120.

Also I don't know about others but I always had problems gripping the rope properly in Lites...

tperng

I see. Thanks for the warning! I almost bought them!

I'll get the Bellevilles then. Which version is recommended (hot weather or gortex-lined)? I'll be attending OCS in October and TBS right afterwards.

stevo01

bates lites are good, as doc said, in garrison..but the traction on those things are horrible. WOuldnt recommend them for ocs..only good thing about them is the fact that they are just that"light"

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
tperng said:
I see. Thanks for the warning! I almost bought them!

I'll get the Bellevilles then. Which version is recommended (hot weather or gortex-lined)? I'll be attending OCS in October and TBS right afterwards.

I would say the gortex lined just because they are fine year round while the hot weather aren't effective during the winter...

Crowbar

None
Huh? I wear the hot weather year round unless it's a monsoon outside (and I won't be walking much). Even with the goretex, your feet only stay dry if you aren't active. Once you move around some your feet start to sweat and you're screwed either way. At least the hot weathers have the vents so your feet can breathe a little.

You'll get issued a set of each (hot weather and cold weather) at OCS. While you're at TBS you'll have plenty of time to figure out which ones you like better.

BILLDO

Liable to get caught on a trip wire...
DocT said:

I think your smoking crack here, minus the E-Course, Combat Course, and the other "courses" at OCS, I can count....well....on 1 finger how many times we did boots and utes runs. Believe me, during TBS, you will see more Bates Lights during runs than any other.

Carno

Insane
Eh? I was in the same company as DocT and we ran a lot in boots and utes. Much more than a handful of times.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Roger that Carno, I remember running in running shoes only a handful of times. i.e. the two PFT's, 3 and 4 mile individual run, MOH run, and one fartlek when we couldn't run the O course because of rain. All the rest was boots and utes