• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boosting your GPA with community college courses

exNavyOffRec

I'm not quite sure how much BS classes would help you. We had to send in all of our transcripts which listed each course taken. I have no idea how particular some board members are about the types of classes; maybe all they care about is GPA.

only a few designators look at the transcripts to read the classes, and SNA/SNFO isn't one of them.

exNavyOffRec

So the board takes all classes into account GPA calculations? They don't just look at what the transcript says? Because my university allows me to retake a class to replace a grade, but from what @RUFiO181 is saying is that both classes will be accounted for?

It depends how the school does it, some replace the entire class, some leave the class but only put a grade with the new class, some leave all info from both classes.

Bravo Kilo

My University doesn't count credits taken from other schools in the GPA calculation. For example I took organic chemistry at a university close to home over the summer. I was able to transfer the credit and get a check in the box toward my degree, but it didn't count towards my GPA.
If this was the GPA that was considered, then everyone would get held to a different standard. That's probably why any branch will calculate the GPA themselves so everything is standardized.

For OP, you will probably have to take a ton of classes to pull your GPA back up if you already have a degree. Assuming you have around ~120 credits with a 2.08 GPA, this might take a while. It can't hurt to take more classes and do well in them, but just make sure that you do. Do you have enough time to take so many classes and still stay within the age limit?

JoeLight

It depends how the school does it, some replace the entire class, some leave the class but only put a grade with the new class, some leave all info from both classes.
I wish I could find an OR as good as you sir. So far the 2 I spoke to are trying to get me to enlist telling me I have a better chance of making it there than OCS with my GPA. Lol, if it weren't for reading all the posts on Airwarriors, I'd totally believe them too!

JoeLight

If this was the GPA that was considered, then everyone would get held to a different standard. That's probably why any branch will calculate the GPA themselves so everything is standardized.

For OP, you will probably have to take a ton of classes to pull your GPA back up if you already have a degree. Assuming you have around ~120 credits with a 2.08 GPA, this might take a while. It can't hurt to take more classes and do well in them, but just make sure that you do. Do you have enough time to take so many classes and still stay within the age limit?
Yes, I'm 24. I did the math, it will take 44 hours of A's to get to a 2.5. I have 22 credit hours more left in my degree. On top of that I have to take 22 more and make A's in all to get to the 2.5 minimum.

I can definitely do 22 hours of "BS" classes in one semester and manage A's in all those. So based on that, I'm hoping it takes no longer than 1 semester. I'm planning on taking these at the local community college post graduation for a few reasons:
1) Community college is way cheaper
2) Also I hear much easier
3) Online / evening / weekend classes are readily available

rousja01

Anyone know how the board weighs/calculates Master's degree GPAs against Bachelor's degree GPAs? I have a less-than-impressive 2.5 for my BA, but a 3.9 for my MA. Wondering if having a 3.9 MA trumps my 2.5 BA or if the two are somehow combined despite the significant difference in the number and difficulty of courses taken for each degree. Thanks in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Anyone know how the board weighs/calculates Master's degree GPAs against Bachelor's degree GPAs? I have a less-than-impressive 2.5 for my BA, but a 3.9 for my MA. Wondering if having a 3.9 MA trumps my 2.5 BA or if the two are somehow combined despite the significant difference in the number and difficulty of courses taken for each degree. Thanks in advance!

It gets added as if they're all one school.

JoeLight

It gets added as if they're all one school.

Do you happen to know if certain courses are not counted? If I'm taking Introduction to Billiards for 1 credit hour at a community college, will it be counted as long as the college assigned credit and a grade?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Do you happen to know if certain courses are not counted? If I'm taking Introduction to Billiards for 1 credit hour at a community college, will it be counted as long as the college assigned credit and a grade?

Every single college clsss that has credits will be counted.