• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boosting your GPA with community college courses

JoeLight

Hi all,

I have a very low GPA (2.08) affected by some deaths in college.

My questions is: Would it looks bad to take credited non-sense courses at a community college in order to boost this GPA to the required 2.5 minimum?

I'm thinking about taking courses in typing, jogging, art, sociology, shotgun shooting and others like it. These courses have a near 100% rate of A's. I checked the syllabi and it seems the non-A's are people who failed to show up to class.

As someone mentioned, it is my only chance. But, how would the board look at it though if they see that you spent an extra semester taking a large number of credit hours in the easiest courses possible?

TangoMic

Hi all,

I have a very low GPA (2.08) affected by some deaths in college.

My questions is: Would it looks bad to take credited non-sense courses at a community college in order to boost this GPA to the required 2.5 minimum?

I'm thinking about taking courses in typing, jogging, art, sociology, shotgun shooting and others like it. These courses have a near 100% rate of A's. I checked the syllabi and it seems the non-A's are people who failed to show up to class.

As someone mentioned, it is my only chance. But, how would the board look at it though if they see that you spent an extra semester taking a large number of credit hours in the easiest courses possible?

It seems like you already know the answer to this. Your ASTB score is good, so they might overlook it.

You would be better off taking classes that are relevant to the Navy though. Why not take something that will be worth your time and money and just work a little harder to get the A?

TangoMic

The other issue with your idea, beyond how the board will view your "BS classes", is that I think your Undergraduate GPA is set unless you go retake some classes at the university that granted you the degree. Unless you can retroactively transfer those community college credits to that university, I don't think your idea will impact your degree cumulative GPA. I think that when they talk about cumulative GPA, it refers to the GPA attached to your degree.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The other issue with your idea, beyond how the board will view your "BS classes", is that I think your Undergraduate GPA is set unless you go retake some classes at the university that granted you the degree. Unless you can retroactively transfer those community college credits to that university, I don't think your idea will impact your degree cumulative GPA. I think that when they talk about cumulative GPA, it refers to the GPA attached to your degree.

Negative. GPA is calculated from all courses attended. The OP can take 1-2 years of BS courses, assuming he gets all As to average out with his university GPA. It's going to be a very uphill battle but still doable.

Elliot

My University doesn't count credits taken from other schools in the GPA calculation. For example I took organic chemistry at a university close to home over the summer. I was able to transfer the credit and get a check in the box toward my degree, but it didn't count towards my GPA.

jcahall

Tacamo Bro
None
My University doesn't count credits taken from other schools in the GPA calculation. For example I took organic chemistry at a university close to home over the summer. I was able to transfer the credit and get a check in the box toward my degree, but it didn't count towards my GPA.

As with most universities. But when the board calculates your GPA they take all of your college credit points divided by total credits. So if you had the same amount of credits for both schools with 3.0 and 4.0 GPA's.... your GPA would equal 3.5 for the board.

Elliot

As with most universities. But when the board calculates your GPA they take all of your college credit points divided by total credits. So if you had the same amount of credits for both schools with 3.0 and 4.0 GPA's.... your GPA would equal 3.5 for the board.

Well that's actually good news, my 3.1 is. Now a 3.3!

exNavyOffRec

There is more to it than that, each school is different, did the 4 year college include all the CC classes on the transcript? If they did did they include the grades? you can't double count classes is the big thing.

JoeLight

It seems like you already know the answer to this. Your ASTB score is good, so they might overlook it.

You would be better off taking classes that are relevant to the Navy though. Why not take something that will be worth your time and money and just work a little harder to get the A?
Well, as Rufio mentioned I need nearly 44 more credit hours to get that 2.5 minimum. So assuming I do well in the 22 hours I have left for my degree, I would need an additional 22 to make the minimum.

The easy classes I can do 22 or more in one semester and get A's. If I choose to do worthwhile courses, it would end up taking an additional 1 - 2 years. In any case, these would all result in a delay from the Navy. Therefore, I'm thinking I'll just tack on some things like Keyboarding which is worth 3 credit hours to this semester in addition to the courses required for my degree. This way I can do 22 hours this Spring, 12 this Summer, and the remaining 10 in the 1st part of the next Fall.

Based on this, would you spend an extra half-semester taking "BS courses" and easily meeting the minimum or another 1 - 2 years taking legitimate courses to meet the minimum?

Thanks for your advice!

Allan H

I'm not quite sure how much BS classes would help you. We had to send in all of our transcripts which listed each course taken. I have no idea how particular some board members are about the types of classes; maybe all they care about is GPA.

MTLiving

I mean if he can kill the ASTB and get up the minimum it may be a pretty good shot even with bs classes. With the current selection rate so high who knows what might happen.

JoeLight

I mean if he can kill the ASTB and get up the minimum it may be a pretty good shot even with bs classes. With the current selection rate so high who knows what might happen.
Thanks for your input! Good to hear that selection rate is high. Not to brag, I got a 9/9/9 72 on the ASTB. But my GPA is so bad I can't even apply yet.

Since selection is looking good, I'm going to go ahead and spend an extra 2 months taking BS classes. Hopefully I'll be eligible to apply before the selection rates go back down!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

koliver

So the board takes all classes into account GPA calculations? They don't just look at what the transcript says? Because my university allows me to retake a class to replace a grade, but from what @RUFiO181 is saying is that both classes will be accounted for?