• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Booking Hotels in Germany/Austria

Lawman

None
To kinda answer both your questions in one swoop, we wanted to hit the Christmas market in Stuttgart because we heard its one of the largest. But that's about all we see worth going thus far and judging by what you two say perhaps we will look in alternative places to check out since we are already hitting a few other markets like Nuremberg , etc. Thanks for the advice btw on Neuschwanstein. We wanted to check that

One other question
1. What's a decent rail company to use if we wanted to buy tickets to go elsewhere? Been looking at the Bahn but I noticed a few others

German is a state run railway. Everything within country that stays within country is deutchesbahn. Best way to get around with multiple people is using the special passes. For 52 or so euro you can travel with up to 5 people anywhere and on anything except the ICE trains. The Bavaria pass is 28 euro, same deal from Wurzburg east all the way to Austria.

Neuschwanstein is in the middle of nowhere. Easiest way for you would be to go to Munich and take a day out of the trip to tour with a tour group office by bus. There is boing out there to see except the two castles so you won't miss anything doing a day and ditching.

The trodelmarkts kick off around late Oct/early November. If your not trying to go to Berlin or anywhere up North, I'd recommend the romantic road tour of cities. It will take you through most of the big must do's in Bavaria which still has much of the ancient cities intact because it wasn't a major bombing target like Schweinfurt or others. Wurzburg and Heidelberg both have castles/residences which are worth seeing and spending half a day on. Nuremberg he old city is mostly shopping, but the old Nazi parade grounds are the only other ing to see and they are off the main routes. Munich.... Is huge. And it's best done with a plan because there are more than a few days worth of museums etc. Munich is also the best launching point down to the garmisch area.

Renegade One

None
I'd be surprised if, somewhere on an MWR site…maybe on the EUCOM homepage?…there isn't SOME gouge on "good deals" to be had. Standard caveat…those are probably good only if you want to be in a place filled with other US service personnel. I'd recommend some Google-fu, or hooking up with a reputable travel agent, and exploring the "lesser known" deals that I'm sure are out there.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a Viking River Cruise through Germany, Austria and Hungary earlier this year. Think of it as a "moving hotel and restaurant". You only have to unpack once…which is nice.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I'd be surprised if, somewhere on an MWR site…maybe on the EUCOM homepage?…there isn't SOME gouge on "good deals" to be had. Standard caveat…those are probably good only if you want to be in a place filled with other US service personnel. I'd recommend some Google-fu, or hooking up with a reputable travel agent, and exploring the "lesser known" deals that I'm sure are out there.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a Viking River Cruise through Germany, Austria and Hungary earlier this year. Think of it as a "moving hotel and restaurant". You only have to unpack once…which is nice.

LOL Yeah I'd rather my vacation not be me introducing my wife to what a command function looks like overseas. We considered the cruise and it sounded fun but I like the idea of driving through some of the mountains and one horse towns along the way.

@Lawman: Thanks for the advice on Neuschwanstein we will plan accordingly!

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
You can always call the American embassy and ask for hotel recommendations and govt rates. When my wife and I went to Australia I called the naval air attache there and asked for recommendations in Sydney, he booked us a 5 star room at the govt rate which was half of the online price, and he got us last minute tickets to a performance at the Opera House. Also did this when traveling to Singapore. Only really applies to the big cities though.