• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonus Question....

SandSailor

I know what you are thinking...no no no...but wait

I re-enlisted 01OCT08 in a tax free zone prior to the results being released.

Technically my command should have put my SRB on hold until the results, but they didn't

We can not re-enlist for a bonus while obligating service to STA-21, my re-enlistment was a regular one... not for STA-21

I actually had to extend 4 months just a few weeks ago to obligate for STA-21.

My PS1 on my command said let PSD handle it, then PSD said it can go either way. Different instructions state different things and contradict each other...

so PSD said...well you shouldn't have been approved for a bonus, but you were and it was paid before the results were released, so because of a paperwork loop hole they say it should be free and clear...

I haven't spent any of it, and don't plan on it for a few years...just in case...

is anyone else in this boat...or have any suggestions..

navy09

None
You're probably smart not to spend it.

Stuff it in a CD or MMA and rack up some interest. Rates suck- but it's free, safe money. IMO, nothing unethical about that.

SandSailor

I stuffed it in my MMA and get about $50-60/month off of it.

I'll just hold it for them until they ask for it back.

aircrew1221

I have heard that if you were paid the SRB before your package was sent in (signed by the co) then you are free and clear but if you received it afterwards then you are entitled to pay it back. dont quote me this is just what I have heard.

SandSailor

I have heard that if you were paid the SRB before your package was sent in (signed by the co) then you are free and clear but if you received it afterwards then you are entitled to pay it back. dont quote me this is just what I have heard.

That is as per part of the STA-21 instruction...the SRB instruction states it different....

I'm still feeling this one out.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I would agree hang on to it in a high interest account and wait and see if the Navy takes it back.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I commend you for looking into this and using your head.

Above Average for good headwork.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... Above Average for good headwork.

Agreed, would give you a three above for headwork. Hold on to it in a CD (think NFCU giving about 4% on a six month cert). Have seen both sides, sometimes they want it back .... other times they have not asked for it to be returned.

Have a beer in Dot's on me!!:eek:

Stick

pilot
Last year everyone who received their bonus payments before results came out got to keep it. You should be fine but like others have stated I would hold on to the money just in case. You will find out in RI if they will make you pay it back.

ELT(SS)

I almost got screwed last year on this one. I reenlisted in May, a couple weeks before the packages were sent off. However, Pensacola decided that the application date was when the online application was filled out, not when the package is mailed out, like the instruction says. Supposedly there was a change to the Accession Instruction that nobody knew about, and to the best of my knowledge, has not been released yet. But I haven't looked for a while. Luckily for me, the CCC at my old command went on a raging warpath and saved me 40 grand. Everybody that reenlisted any time after the packages were mailed was told they were going to lose their bonus, I don't know their end results. They let all of us know at NSI, so they will probably call a bunch of people into the CCC's office and tell them the bad news. So long and painful story short, good idea to not spend any of it. It seems that nobody in the Navy knows exactly how anything for STA-21 works, so expect a lot of headaches in the pay department, but it is well worth it.