• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing To Find Out Friday Whether It Will Build New Sub Hunters

Which platform is going to be announced on June 6th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One more day

Seattle Post-Intelligencer
June 8, 2004

Will Navy Choose 737? Boeing Awaits Decision

The Boeing Co. will learn tomorrow if its 737 has been selected by the U.S. Navy as a replacement for the service's aging fleet of P-3 surveillance planes. An announcement is expected to be made by the Navy after the stock market has closed, according to people familiar with the plans. Lockheed Martin is offering the Navy an updated version of the P-3 airframe.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Hi Web,
In the vote, it says 737-800, I thought that it was going to be a -900, or atleast have the -900 wings.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I recall, the original proposal was for a 737-800, IGW variant, but somewhere along the line, whether it was range, or wing stores, Boeing decided to use a 900 wing. I heard that, but have not seen it in print, so I stuck with the print I saw on the proposal and put 737-800....

goldwingdreams

If they make the interior anything like the BBJ in Lenny Kravitz latest video, I'm down for the patrol community. Where do I sign?

Oh wait you say there is a Starbucks on board too? How much can I PAY to fly that plane?

******Dream Sequence Ends*******

Ya let's be honest. Even if the did select -800 they would find a way to make the bird just as ugly as the Orion. No offense to any of you Patrol guys in love with your aircraft. Beauty is in the eye of teh beholder I'm told.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rockeyes would be nice with a real bombsight. I'll take a couple of SLAM-ERs, thanks. At least I can drive those in via camera.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"My idea of anti-submarine warfare is putting a SLAM through the sail of a Kilo while its still in port..."

My first TACCO/later roommate

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Posted on Wed, Jun. 09, 2004

Navy postpones announcement on sub-hunter contract

WASHINGTON - Due to the ceremonies surrounding the funeral of former President Ronald Reagan, the U.S. Navy has postponed its announcement of whether Boeing or Lockheed Martin wins a lucrative contract to replace the Navy's current fleet of submarine-hunters.

Boeing is proposing a modified 737 as the Navy's new Multi-Mission Maritime Aircraft. The 737 MMA would primarily be a submarine-hunter, flying low over water to find and attack enemy subs.

Lockheed Martin is pitching an updated version of the Navy's current P-3 sub-hunter.

The $3.5 billion contract could potentially employ hundreds of Boeing Wichita workers should Boeing get the contract. Its announcement was supposed to happen today, but this morning the Navy rescheduled it for next week, citing Reagan.

The Navy is expected to buy about 150 of the aircraft over coming years, and the potential international market could double demand for the plane.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
I just selected P-3's. Pretty slim chance that I'd ever get to fly this new 737, eh?

Anyone care to shatter my hopes by elaborating?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bigmouth said:
I just selected P-3's. Pretty slim chance that I'd ever get to fly this new 737, eh?

Anyone care to shatter my hopes by elaborating?

Last I heard, they expect to stand up the first operational squadrons in 2010-2012. (LAST I HEARD ). You may someday fly one in test/evaluation or maybe if you are a hard chargin' future Skipper.

The rest of us will go..."Hey look at that...cool..."

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I heard a nasty rumor a bit over a year ago that Boeing boasted that they could have a fully functional MMA within 6 months of the green light. As they already have the 737 line going i could believe this, were it not for the radical airframe changes dictated by the MMA requirements. I understand that the bomb bay was a bit of a challenge.

I suspect i'll be a freaking 04 select (okay, probebly fired) by the time these things are deployed!

I guess the prop really will stop :(

As for what trainer they'd use, i suspect they could use the T-44 or the TC-12 because the primary feature of those planes is asymmetric thrust. The T-44s are getting an all glass cockpit in the next year so the leap wouldn't be that dramatic. It isn't like the T-44 flies much like the P-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.