• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Body Composition

USMCMidd

Hello all. quick fitness question. I am 6'1 205. my best PFT was right before OCS graduation something like 15 chin ups, 21 ish run, and 100 crunches. I have trained for ice hockey my entire life: quick, intense, sprints not so much long term endurance. Also started doing pullups outboard to use more back muscles. Is it unrealastic to expect a PFT improvment given my body composition? Would weight loss help my cause? thanks Gents.

Lt.Walsh

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
mwalsh07 said:
Hello all. quick fitness question. I am 6'1 205. my best PFT was right before OCS graduation something like 15 chin ups, 21 ish run, and 100 crunches. I have trained for ice hockey my entire life: quick, intense, sprints not so much long term endurance. Also started doing pullups outboard to use more back muscles. Is it unrealastic to expect a PFT improvment given my body composition? Would weight loss help my cause? thanks Gents.

Lt.Walsh

1. No, it is not unrealistic.
2. Maybe; but, you should put more emphasis on endurance related events which utilize more aerobic activity. If you weight train perhaps you should focus more on lighter weights/higher reps...maybe 65% of your one rep max as the weight and lift that weight 12-20 reps @ 3-4 sets.

USMCMidd

Thanks for the advice, i was thinking along those lines. I feel when i run my legs are ready to go but it is my lungs/cardio vasc system that is holding me back from higher run pace/lower times. Is that just a matter of getting out and running more so my cardio level improves? i've never been a great runner.

USMCMidd

Good link, i just looked all over Dr.Romanov's website. I understand the concept of leaning forward and letting gravity help you along the way, but whats the deal with pulling your foot up to your butt and not relaly pushing off? I havn't tried this style yet, i already ran today, but im gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Any suggestions?

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
This looks like some really good stuff. I run landing almost completely on my heel. Always have, its just habit. Maybe the reason I got that stress fracture. His stuff seems to make a lot of sense. I'm going to try that out and see how it works. Thanks for the post billthrill1.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
mwalsh07 said:
Thanks for the advice, i was thinking along those lines. I feel when i run my legs are ready to go but it is my lungs/cardio vasc system that is holding me back from higher run pace/lower times. Is that just a matter of getting out and running more so my cardio level improves? i've never been a great runner.

Yup, do some more aerobic training and your lungs will be a lot more effecient.

USMCMidd

im doing 3-4 mi, 3 times of week for now. Trying the program on the Nike running website so we'll see how it goes, it's still early to ya know?

BigRed389

None
mwalsh07 said:
Good link, i just looked all over Dr.Romanov's website. I understand the concept of leaning forward and letting gravity help you along the way, but whats the deal with pulling your foot up to your butt and not relaly pushing off? I havn't tried this style yet, i already ran today, but im gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Imagine you just took a step forward so you've got one leg forward. Rise up off your rear foot, and put most of your weight on the front foot. So that's what would happen if you just took a running step.

OK, then using that front leg, pull your body forward, which should fire off your hamstring.

Now, your body isn't stupid, and to keep you from landing flat on your face, your other leg will already be there.

Repeat.

AV8BQAR

Mech
Holy crap, I am doing it all wrong and still pulling 19 minute 3 miles.
Ya know after reading the link I realize that many of my competitors use this technique and drive me nuts with the little strides and foot slapping. I might try this on my next road race for fun, because I am a traditional huge-stride heel-to-toe runner.

However, short-striding can be detrimental in off-road exercises. I find myself taking blind heel-to-toe leaps over obstacles and such, as well as choppy strides through unstable areas. Remember that we will encounter EVERYTHING in OCS and need adjustable skills.

BigRed389

None
AV8BQAR said:
However, short-striding can be detrimental in off-road exercises. I find myself taking blind heel-to-toe leaps over obstacles and such, as well as choppy strides through unstable areas. Remember that we will encounter EVERYTHING in OCS and need adjustable skills.

Yes, this simply wouldn't even work off-road. If you had anything slick or wet you'd expend energy that would backslide. If you don't have a solid grip on the running surface you can't pull to move, so you'll end up lifting your knees(ie hit the front leg muscles rather than the rear leg muscles).

As for the 19.5min run...well some people are naturally just better runners. ;)

But us fat kids we need all the help we can get.

USMCMidd

so you are upright, yet body tilted forward to utilize gravity, than your stride is shorter and you are pulling your self forward while trying not to fall on your face basically? Whats the deal with bringing your heel to your butt like the website says? seems kinda strange

BigRed389

None
mwalsh07 said:
so you are upright, yet body tilted forward to utilize gravity, than your stride is shorter and you are pulling your self forward while trying not to fall on your face basically? Whats the deal with bringing your heel to your butt like the website says? seems kinda strange

If you don't get it, don't try to overanalyze it. Just watch a lot of runners...some people do this naturally. That's what I did since I didn't feel like buying the program tapes and all that crap. Just look at those who run impacting toe first vs heel first.

Look for people that pull with the lead leg, barely hit the ground, and look like they're running effortlessly...you know the kind of people you want to strangle as they run by. Copy what they do.

Re-reading the article...the best way to visualize is the rock skipping on a pond thing...that's what you should feel like.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
BigRed389 said:
If you don't get it, don't try to overanalyze it. Just watch a lot of runners...some people do this naturally. That's what I did since I didn't feel like buying the program tapes and all that crap. Just look at those who run impacting toe first vs heel first.

Look for people that pull with the lead leg, barely hit the ground, and look like they're running effortlessly...you know the kind of people you want to strangle as they run by. Copy what they do.

Re-reading the article...the best way to visualize is the rock skipping on a pond thing...that's what you should feel like.
I actually watched a guy run down the sidewalk yesterday running pose method. I got kind of excitied. HAHA!! I've been working on this for a while. Now that I'm past the calves on fire thing I've been able to really utilize my efficiency gain.

The heel to the butt thing isn't that at all. It's more of a way to get you to think about using your hamstring to pull your foot back instead of your quad to push off. You only need to pull the leg up high enough to clear the ground the rest of the height happens because of the motion it's already going. Then you just use it catch yourself again so your face doesn't hit the floor. You lean forward for as fast as you want to go/can go.