• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BMW military sales

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Depends on how 'significant' their savings are. I'd go for it if it's a large enough slash over American prices (though I doubt it...)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Friend at the World Bank bought a 740I when she was posted in France. She purchased it from BMW Diplomatic Sales, which is samo samo as military sales. She said the savings were huge, no problems at all. I think she had further savings as she paid no sales tax/excise taxes, because of her position in the World Bank. And I love the car.

m26

Contributor
Depends on how 'significant' their savings are. I'd go for it if it's a large enough slash over American prices (though I doubt it...)

I just looked at the 6 coupe. Regular price: $78k + tax. Program price: $66k and no tax. Sounds pretty good to me!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I just looked at the 6 coupe. Regular price: $78k + tax. Program price: $66k and no tax. Sounds pretty good to me!

I stand very much corrected. Looks like I'll have to get an OCONUS tour at some point!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

That's great and all, but you still have to pay $66k. Not exactly pocket change for a Naval Aviator.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Remember, you will move, you will deploy...everybody's car here sits in the same parking lots. If your lucky enough to go ships' company for a dis-a tour, imagine your beauty sitting on the sea wall day in and day out (or any variety of scenarios for that matter).
Save the coin.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That's great and all, but you still have to pay $66k. Not exactly pocket change for a Naval Aviator.

That's a six series coupe. Anything more practical is significantly less. Even the M3 was 'only' in the mid 50s. You can't take that money with you anyways, might as well spend it on something awesome.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Remember, you will move, you will deploy...everybody's car here sits in the same parking lots. If your lucky enough to go ships' company for a dis-a tour, imagine your beauty sitting on the sea wall day in and day out (or any variety of scenarios for that matter).
Save the coin.

I don't think I would leave a new BMW sitting on a seawall.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did the Volvo military sales a few years ago and the program was great, saved about 17% off the car and it was built to order for me. I know a few guys who have done the BMW deal and they had a similar experience and loved their cars. The only problem is that it takes so long to get it, about 5 months. If you were so inclined you could go pick it up about 2 months after ordering it from the factory and drive it where it was meant to be driven, on the Autobahn. They still ship it across at no charge after that. Best of luck, Beemer's are nice cars but expensive to keep!

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Great deal, I bought one 4 years ago after my tour in Japan. Walked into the office, filled out the order form and dropped a check from Navy Fed, easier than ordering sushi. I was in the office for about 20 minutes, ordered a custom built BMW for straight-up invoice price and walked out... no haggling, no pressure. The price for the car was exactly as listed on Kelly Blue Book as the invoice price. We had it delivered to Virginia Beach and picked it up when we got back to the states, about 4 months. We were even able to track it online as it was built. Comparing it with dealer prices, we saved about 8K and got exactly what we wanted. We're hoping for overseas orders again so we can upgrade it.

Just make sure it's an actual BMW factory dealer, some of the off-base "military sales" places are just private dealer storefronts that cater to US military. If you can't get invoice price and have to negotiate, it's definately not legit.