• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BMW 6 series on Ebay w/ salvage title

AJB37

I would suggest looking at a Volvo C70, my mom just bought one and it seed rather nice. It was a hard top convertible and decently fast. Also it was under 50K and as suggested earlier if you take European delivery they take some off the price.

Yetti

The Yetti
I would say that Mercedes build quality "problems" have not been nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe. 2000-2003 cars had some isolated issues, but things are getting better, and I have had very few problems w/ my 1999.....and not "build quality" related really.

I have a 98 E320. Replaced: Engine mounts (rusted out). Struts. Coils.Two bent tie rods within 6 months (may or may not be my fault ;)). catalytic converter. The wheel wells are rusted out. Both rear windows do not work. Interior buttons just fell off. Electric seats dead. And now their is a strange rattling noise beneath the car, which does not sound healthy at all. Any ideas?

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the recently replaced mass airflow censor.

P.S. Air conditioner does not work, either.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd rather buy a new American car with a 5 year warranty that is very reliable.

You know, there's German car manufacturers that have that too.

Other than paying off student loans, rent, groceries and a few months of wasteful spending on the bitch of an ex I haven't really bought any fun toys. In this line of work, its kind of hard to tell when your number is up I know when i'm headed in a couple of years. I just figure, might as well enjoy it while I can and I can get it paid off in 4 years. I know its a lot of money and I think about it more than anyone else but you only live once, right?

I totally understand where you're coming from, but something to think about. For the price point of what you're looking at, you're going to be paying money to someone so that for the next four years, you can drive your car for about 2 1/2 years. As bert is mentioning, you might want to wait until after your first sea tour so you have more cash on hand and the time to enjoy the ride.

If you are looking for a new ride, regardless, I'd start lower first, so you can still enjoy the car and then upgrade down the road. I ended up doing this, starting w/ a Honda (well, second one) and then once I came back from my sea tour, did the LT/O-3 mobile thing.

As you can see below, it was well worth the wait:

http://www.partaj.cz/imgs/ameriky/AMC/pacer/1976_amc_pacer_15_sb.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anytime I see or hear a Gremlin mentioned, I immediately think of Hans "the Moleman" getting run off the road by Otto and then slightly hitting a tree at about .000001 MPH. <BOOM!>

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have a 98 E320. Replaced: Engine mounts (rusted out). Struts. Coils.Two bent tie rods within 6 months (may or may not be my fault ;)). catalytic converter. The wheel wells are rusted out. Both rear windows do not work. Interior buttons just fell off. Electric seats dead. And now their is a strange rattling noise beneath the car, which does not sound healthy at all. Any ideas?

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the recently replaced mass airflow censor.

P.S. Air conditioner does not work, either.

Some of that stuff is routine higher mileage maintenance, but I will say that I'm surprised to hear about your electrical problems (at least the extent of them) and the mounts (which are rubber/urethane and typically wear out before they rust out :p). A lot of it depends on what kind of shape you bought the car in. Mine was a CPO car w/ low mileage and had been very well taken care of....full records. If you bought a higher mileage car from a private seller because it was a good deal, you really never know what you have going on until things start breaking. PPI's help a bit, but there is a lot that can get by even that sort of inspection. But back to the original topic, I think your case just goes to show why buying a salvage car is generally a bad idea (even if it was for some other reason than flooding). Particularly in a car that has been totalled and salvaged because of an accident, there are just way too many corners to cut on the way to the sale in terms of repairs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... But back to the original topic, I think your case just goes to show why buying a salvage car is generally a bad idea ....
Generally, I would agree ... but then, there's always the exception:

85Blazer1.jpg

I bought a 1987 K5 Blazer that had been "totaled" by the insurance co. .... a roll-over .... bought in SOCAL
and "imported" .... ironic, as "CAL" was on the new license plate .... it got restored by a top drawer body & machine shop ... it looked great and ran great with minimal maintenance -- even got the original factory warranty for $250 ... I got 370,000 miles out of the engine before a lower hose failure canceled the rest of the 350 CID's useful consciousness ... it didn't use any oil and still accelerated going uphill ... a head-turner as Sports Utilities of that period go as well .... although not the one pictured above -- mine was Blue on Blue.

I got my money's worth. :)

MasterBates

I miss simple stuff. My previous truck was a 1986 GMC K1500 pickup.

6.2 Diesel, 3-Speed with Granny Low, NP-208 transfer case.

310K and still going strong when I sold it. Also sold to appease the Manatee..

That and the Skipper forbade me from parking it anywhere near his squadron, as it was ugly as hell with the body falling apart.

But it still ran great.

I miss simple stuff. My previous truck was a 1986 GMC K1500 pickup.

6.2 Diesel, 3-Speed with Granny Low, NP-208 transfer case.

310K and still going strong when I sold it. Also sold to appease the Manatee..

That and the Skipper forbade me from parking it anywhere near his squadron, as it was ugly as hell with the body falling apart.

But it still ran great.

Diesel stupid here, gimmie gas! The old man had no sense of humor. I had a decent OinC (later CO of Anacostia) who had a 66 Chevy shitmobile after his ex turned dyke! He called it The Wildebeast and even the non rated ground pounders refused a free lift. Now that thing after years of Maryland salted road winters was fugly! He eventually got a Caddy once he got his fourth stripe.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
For one the cost of one BMW (albeit nice)..and still have money left over for other shit.

Cliche? Yup.

MasterBates

You have 2 Thruxtons?

Lucky.. I may buy a Speed Triple as a "thank god its DONE" present when I make my last alimony payment.