• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BMW 6 series on Ebay w/ salvage title

MasterBates

stay away..

If it was salt water, in addition to the electrical nightmares, you may have structural issues in short order.

Salt water is the DEVIL when it comes to cars, motorcycles and aircraft.

Raptor2216

Alright....I think I have reached the point of saturation and as much as I hate to believe it, its more than likely that you guys are all correct.

I still want a BMW though...just one with the 4 year warranty. The only other brand I would consider is infinity but they don't make any convertibles. What other convertibles would you guys choose for say under $50K.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Get a 328/335i Convertible.

Great car, and if you do european delivery you get 7% off. Plus, you can likely get a big price cut off of MSRP since ED cars don't come out of dealer stock (it's a national pool that all the dealers can pick from, so any money made is 'free' money they would have never otherwise received).

Alright....I think I have reached the point of saturation and as much as I hate to believe it, its more than likely that you guys are all correct.

I still want a BMW though...just one with the 4 year warranty. The only other brand I would consider is infinity but they don't make any convertibles. What other convertibles would you guys choose for say under $50K.

50K?, this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965...135861623QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180135861623
Plus you get to keep several thousand for gas and I would give your left nut to own it. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Salt water is the DEVIL when it comes to cars, motorcycles and aircraft.
AND Mai'Tai's .... :eek: ... unless the salt water's framed with a Honolulu sunset .... :)

maitaicl6.jpg

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Forget that German stuff. Wait a year and get this:
concept_camaro_convertible.jpg

2009 Camaro Convertible, 400 HP 6.0L LS2, 6 speed stick, 21" rims on the front, 22" rims on the back.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
For OP: I can't tell your economic circumstances from your profile but I will throw this out there: you can earn a good living as an officer, and with a little bit of discipline you can save quite a bit and even find yourself far ahead of your non-military peers by your mid-thirties. Buying a $50k car as an ensign won't help you get there, though.

I have long thought that the Navy ought to pound a little bit of financial education up JO's hind-ends along with all the mandatory political correctness - it would do a lot of folks a lot of good. But since they don't yet, it might not be a bad idea to find an instructor who seems to have done right by himself and ask how he did it.

PS - Please ignore if you have a trust fund or a winning lotto ticket in your pocket.

For OP:

I have long thought that the Navy ought to pound a little bit of financial education up JO's hind-ends along with all the mandatory political correctness - it would do a lot of folks a lot of good. But since they don't yet, it might not be a bad idea to find an instructor who seems to have done right by himself and ask how he did it.

PS - Please ignore if you have a trust fund or a winning lotto ticket in your pocket.

In other words, a Sea Daddy. :)

Raptor2216

Woah woah...that's soon to be 1st Lt. I know what you mean about price but here is my thinking...let's see who agrees with me.

Other than paying off student loans, rent, groceries and a few months of wasteful spending on the bitch of an ex I haven't really bought any fun toys. In this line of work, its kind of hard to tell when your number is up I know when i'm headed in a couple of years. I just figure, might as well enjoy it while I can and I can get it paid off in 4 years. I know its a lot of money and I think about it more than anyone else but you only live once, right?

If all else fails, my parents have some dough.

MasterBates

Pubbhi-
if it was a wrecked one, I woudl not be so scared of it..

But water is BAAAD.. If you want to see what a good 'ole salt dunk does to a car 2-3 years down the road, come over and look at my truck. I had SDO on a day the base flooded.. 2 years later, I have MASSIVE rust problems.

Raptor2216

The water damaged car is out of the question now MB...I was never too sure about it but just thought I would try to get some opinions on it.

Pubbhi-
if it was a wrecked one, I woudl not be so scared of it..

But water is BAAAD.. If you want to see what a good 'ole salt dunk does to a car 2-3 years down the road, come over and look at my truck. I had SDO on a day the base flooded.. 2 years later, I have MASSIVE rust problems.

Yetti

The Yetti
The roads are saturated with 3 series BMW's. Unless, of course, you go with the new M3, but I think that would inch towards 60k, if not more, since they just dropped an 8 in it and its redesigned. If you don't mind Mercedes, you could look into an SLK or CLK. Mercedes build quality has gone down the drain, however.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If all else fails, my parents have some dough.

Fair enough. I'm partial to BMW's myself so if you are going to do it you are at least looking in the right direction. The only complaint I've had with mine is that it is a complete pain in the ass to change the batteries. While I initially wasn't a fan of the whole I-drive thing (got the nav system with our newest one and it is mandatory with it), after a little time with it I only mind it for dealing with the climate controls; it is fine for the stereo and nav.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The roads are saturated with 3 series BMW's. Unless, of course, you go with the new M3, but I think that would inch towards 60k, if not more, since they just dropped an 8 in it and its redesigned. If you don't mind Mercedes, you could look into an SLK or CLK. Mercedes build quality has gone down the drain, however.

If he was buying a used e46 M3 (the last generation), which is the only option now since the last cars rolled off the assembly line in '06, there is no way he would pay even close to 60....not even 40 unless he was an idiot and liked to "take that price and double it" :) You can get a low mileage M3 'vert for well under 40k these days, well optioned. This would be my recommendation, and he will have to wait a number of years for the e90 M3 'vert to even be released (only a coupe at the moment, and its not been sold yet).

There are plenty of options if you want a "sporty" convertible though, w/ Mercedes and BMW only a couple of them. I would not recommend the SLK, though I would say that Mercedes build quality "problems" have not been nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe. 2000-2003 cars had some isolated issues, but things are getting better, and I have had very few problems w/ my 1999.....and not "build quality" related really.