• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blues to Get Supers?

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Simplicity = reliability and yes, the A-4 was a better show unless............. one got to witness some pretty good tricks they put on for a dependents day cruise. Supersonic flybys with F-4's and RA5C', wasting sidewinders on flares and fishing with Mk-82's. Cool stuff!
A5's or F4's would be cooler for sure, the poor ole A4 was a step down for sure.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the Viggie was terribly aerobatic. It went fast as stink in a straight line, no doubt about it, but it was never meant to be thrown around a while lot. The Scoot, on the other hand...

I think the plan now is use some of the early-lot Supers that weren't ever suitable for Fleet use.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd be surprised if in a few years we don't see the Blues in F-35s. Once all the big blocks of DT/OT on the jet are over give the Blues some LRIP F-35s that don't match fleet configuration.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be surprised if in a few years we don't see the Blues in F-35s. Once all the big blocks of DT/OT on the jet are over give the Blues some LRIP F-35s that don't match fleet configuration.

I actually would be surprised. As much as the Navy would like to have the latest thing in blue, as soon as they paint up some F-35s there will be grumbling about the prioritizing the Blues over Fleet needs. Even the early-block planes will be needed for RAG training for a while, and all it'll take is one article about "Navy student pilots kept waiting for flights as admirals send jets on publicity tours". That's why they've put off transitioning to the Blues to Supers for so long. Now at least they can say the legacy Hornets are being phased out of service and need to be replaced.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I actually would be surprised. As much as the Navy would like to have the latest thing in blue, as soon as they paint up some F-35s there will be grumbling about the prioritizing the Blues over Fleet needs. Even the early-block planes will be needed for RAG training for a while, and all it'll take is one article about "Navy student pilots kept waiting for flights as admirals send jets on publicity tours". That's why they've put off transitioning to the Blues to Supers for so long. Now at least they can say the legacy Hornets are being phased out of service and need to be replaced.
Yeah, I get that angle. My assumption is that there would be some LRIP jets that wouldn't be usable for the fleet. If that's not the case then I agree with you

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I get that angle. My assumption is that there would be some LRIP jets that wouldn't be usable for the fleet. If that's not the case then I agree with you

I imagine that they could go to F-35s within a few years, with LRIP birds as you say. I just think they won't, because of the "optics". Last thing anybody wants is any more negative press about that airplane.

Still; eventually I guess both the Blues and the Thunderbirds will be flying F-35s, which will be neat. First time they've flown the same airframe since they briefly both had F-4s.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Simplicity = reliability and yes, the A-4 was a better show unless............. one got to witness some pretty good tricks they put on for a dependents day cruise. Supersonic flybys with F-4's and RA5C', wasting sidewinders on flares and fishing with Mk-82's. Cool stuff!
I don't think the Viggie was terribly aerobatic. It went fast as stink in a straight line, no doubt about it, but it was never meant to be thrown around a while lot. The Scoot, on the other hand...

I think the plan now is use some of the early-lot Supers that weren't ever suitable for Fleet use.

even the nasty F8's would be fun to watch. but the best BLUES airframe to watch was the F4!...I have seen the Blues all the way back to the Grumman Tiger.