• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels not welcome in San Francisco

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
enlighten us sir.
OK, I retract my previous comment . . . apparently A4s' sea story is now consigned to the archive, but I do recall him mentioning it before. Something about the Base CO getting involved? :confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
OK, I retract my previous comment . . . apparently A4s' sea story is now consigned to the archive, but I do recall him mentioning it before. Something about the Base CO getting involved? :confused:
You go, girl .... :D

Something to do with a HUGE PARTY @ the 'O Club the night before the show --- lots of drinking:) --- lots of dancing :)--- two of the Blues were still there @ 0200 closing time --- one left with someone "other than his wife", shall we say --- :eek:

Next day: SHOWTIME !!!!

Not too much "snap" in the salutes and marching out to the aircraft. When the lead/CO taxied out of the line for takeoff -- he turned LEFT into the crowd instead of RIGHT for the throat (???) and had to do a 180 and blast the folks --- where WERE his eyes and his head, anyway ??? --- the show was 1/2 over when # 3 broke off at the top of a 4-plane loop --- he was puking in the cockpit --- he came in & landed solo --- one of the opposing solo's joined up for the rest of the diamond maneuvers --- everyone in the VIP section was standing around with their mouths open.

Except for those of us who were at the Club the night before ... I was smiling .... :);)

Base CO gave them a rug dance following ... and they never returned to NUW. The next year, the grossly unqualified CO called it quits and was man enough to admit he was not up to the job as Blues CO.

Moral of the story??? ALL MEN HAVE FEET OF CLAY.

Second moral??? If you're going to hoot with the owls, you still better be ready to fly with the eagles ....

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
A classic example of "What NOT to do." Especially for a squadron like the Blues. Always in the public eye, representing the Navy and military aviation as a whole to the public... tsk tsk tsk. A group of guys like that should always set the standard for behavior... always.

Thanks for the story A4s...

60B Rotorhead

pilot
The original topic of the thread is starting to remind me of all the whining going on about Oceana. Saw a story a bit back that the NAVY was paying off the filers of a lawsuit against the Navy regarding jet noise. WTF? It simply sounds to me like someone was looking for a handout....

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Great story A4s. I'm curious why nobody bothered to tell the Blues something like "Hey, shouldnt you guys stop boozing? I mean, dont you guess have a show tomorrow?" or something to that effect. I dunno, sometimes when youre drinking and get caught up in the moment you can sometimes forget the more important things, like accountability. Its a bittersweet.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Great story A4s. I'm curious why nobody bothered to tell the Blues something like "Hey, shouldnt you guys stop boozing? I mean, dont you guess have a show tomorrow?" or something to that effect. I dunno, sometimes when youre drinking and get caught up in the moment you can sometimes forget the more important things, like accountability. Its a bittersweet.

Officers - especially those who are members of an elite demonstration team - shouldn't need a baby sitter to tell them when to quit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I ran into an old NROTC buddy back at the Ocean O club a few years ago. He just so happened to be a Blue Angel as well at the time. It was about 2300 or so and he was lit. As we were talking he was wobbling, slurring his speech and all I could think was.....you're flying tomorrow, in really close formation. I could see being alone and unafraid but he was a Blue. Besides the whole crashing and burning thing, the thought of looking bad would be first and foremost on my mind. He flew fine the next day.....his flight wasn't until 1500 or so anyway. You know the old saying, work hard...play harder :icon_smil

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Maybe the San Franciscans are tired of being used for secret bomb tests?

Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'? :eek:

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Anybody compare this to the same story by Fox News posted in its own thread? This rag here pretty much smears the military and offers opinions while the other just says it happened. There's so much wrong with the way this crap is written. :icon_rage

Weapons of Ass Destruction...Priceless!