• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels, NFL Network

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Funny in the shit his cohorts were giving him. Who was that on the right, used to be an ILB or OLB for the Steelers I think?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Yep. Good enough for the program though.

Out of curiosity what does an NFO with the Blue Angels do? I thought they only flew single seats except for two double seater's that they used for celebrity flights?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think they help with the logistics, admin and other behind the scenes work.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they help with the logistics, admin and other behind the scenes work.

Events coordinator.

Blue Angel 8 is an NFO billet and he coordinates all of the events the Blues take part in. From what I know #8 flies with #7 (the Announcer) in one of the #7 jets to the scheduled event sites to do prep work in the off season while the team is practicing at NAF El Centro. They have very specific criteria for their shows and the visits are to ensure that sites and the organizers meet the criteria.

The billet can be filled by a Navy or a Marine NFO, one of my former instructors (Marine ECMO) in VT-86 did a 1 year stint as #8 when he left 86. It is the only NFO billet on the team, though there are two or three billets for Marine Aerial enlisted Navigators on Fat Albert, the C-130.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
In speaking with #8 last spring, the NFO does fly once a week with the team. Probably to location.

Nose

pilot
When I was at VT-4, we shared a hangar with them (or maybe THEY shared a hangar with us). If I remember correctly, they would practice the show every Wed, and then Wed afternoon/Thur Morning, 7/8 would leave in the #7 jet to go to the show site. Team would leave Fri AM and return Sun PM or even Monday sometimes.

As Flash said, lots of moving parts - FAA waivers, traffic issues (they stop some roads during the show), logistics, etc. 8 is the "SDO" during the show with final Wx and ATC info for the boss. Guy that was an RNFO at VAW-120 when I was IP there ended up with them for 2 years.