• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels in a Hyundai commercial?

family1

I've heard that Blue Angels footage is being used in a Hyundai spot that is currently running. I would like to get more information. Has anyone seen this?

jmcquate

Contributor
Not a bad Idea. The Blues should get sponsers. Get those jets looking like Nascar cars and back in the air. The Boss should go with Mountain Dew.

Renegade One

None
I did see this…and wondered. I expect much of whatever anyone films at an air show is "in the public domain", however, and there was no implied U. S. Navy endorsement of said manufacturer. Just sexy airplanes doing their thing in an ad for a vehicle family which they hope to convince you is equally sexy.

I've seen a few of the Blue jets coming and going, maybe once a week, here on NASP. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's bad on the aircraft to sit idle for too long.

Renegade One

None
I've seen a few of the Blue jets coming and going, maybe once a week, here on NASP. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's bad on the aircraft to sit idle for too long.
Yes to the last part, and I think the NFDS pilots are funded for 11 FH per pilot per month, or something like that. Safe-for flight currency, NATOPS quals, instrument currency, PMCFs on the airframes...etc. With only 7 pilots to care for ~16 aircraft (normally), I'm sure it all gets eaten up pretty quickly. Don't know, of course, but I'd like to think that they're also flying some out-and-ins (within half-gas ranges…e.g., no off-site refueling) , to visit/enable local recruiting events, etc.

Oh, and the Hyundai commercials, of course. ;) Maybe the classic "blue suits" will look more like NASCAR drivers' togs next year...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
11 hrs because the CNAF mandated "tactical hard deck" is 10/month. At least that is my guess

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
11 hrs because the CNAF mandated "tactical hard deck" is 10/month. At least that is my guess

10.8 isn't it? I just did some number crunching per CVW-2's request and it was sad to see that I flew less prior to sequestration!

One of our goals when scheduling is to minimize the number of "red-on-red" flights where both AC and CP each have less than 11 hours in the last 30 days. We've actually gotten pretty decent at that, thankfully.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
10.8 isn't it? I just did some number crunching per CVW-2's request and it was sad to see that I flew less prior to sequestration!

One of our goals when scheduling is to minimize the number of "red-on-red" flights where both AC and CP each have less than 11 hours in the last 30 days. We've actually gotten pretty decent at that, thankfully.

That is interesting.....I would have assumed that given the nature of your flights (shore to ship-> ship to shore, repeat continuously) that hours would be a little easier to come by in your community. Is this just because of the size of your wardroom? I honestly don't even know what a COD det consists of so I'm just curious.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is interesting.....I would have assumed that given the nature of your flights (shore to ship-> ship to shore, repeat continuously) that hours would be a little easier to come by in your community. Is this just because of the size of your wardroom? I honestly don't even know what a COD det consists of so I'm just curious.

Yeah det flying gets a lot more hours than homeguard flying. The main "issue" is that we have more ACs than we should based on the number of dets that actually deploy, a push to have a copilot on every flight (so they get enough hours), and a shortage of available up aircraft compared to what should be there to support the T&R matrix. Add on that the limit on cross countries (no TDY $) and it becomes difficult for guys to get hours.

You are right on the flight hour funding... About half of our homeguard flight hours come from mission essential support hours (shore to ship) so a cut of one or even two dets to the THD (affecting only T&R) isn't that big of a deal.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Makes sense. I guess it probably is more even across the fleet that one (I) would think. It's sort of the other way around for us, to some extent, as our flights are typically comparably short (mx/sustain cycle at least), but we are people limited. A JO or two goes on leave, and suddenly you fly your face off, and that would be in contrast to already flying a lot when the RR is full up.