• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angel vs. Blue Devil (ZR-1)

nugget81

pilot
I saw something like this at an airshow a few years ago. Viper vs. Viper i think it was....

sanders

That video mentions that in the Blue Angel's 60+ year history, about 10% of the pilots had died in either performances or in training. Does anyone know if this is true? I kind of find it a little hard to believe...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That video mentions that in the Blue Angel's 60+ year history, about 10% of the pilots had died in either performances or in training. Does anyone know if this is true? I kind of find it a little hard to believe...

Why hard to believe?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
32,000 lbs of thrust? I thought the Blues had already transitioned to the more powerful "C" model w/ 18,000 lb thrust engines.

NUFO06

None
I had finished Primary and was standing the ASDO watch at VT-10 when that happened. There were a lot of people on the flight line watching. Everyone was saying what a shame it was that no one was in the back seat of the #7 plane.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've seen the Veyron/Typhoon, seemed a little more squared away for the car. Plus, top gear is hilarious.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Here is the race I would have liked to have seen:
hrdp_0702_01_z+where_it_began+garlits_vs_the_navy.jpg

From the related article:
http://www.hotrod.com/whereitbegan/hrdp_0702_1980_swamp_rat_aircraft_carrier_burnout/index.html

It wasn't the first time that drag racers, the Navy, and HOT ROD had conspired on a story. Big Daddy, who controversially visited troops in Vietnam in 1971 (HRM, Apr. '72), posed for Navy posters on the deck of the USS Lexington in 1972. Next, in the Sept. '75 issue, Terry Cook wrote of Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen in his Duster Funny Car racing a Navy F-14 Tomcat at the Naval Air Test Center in Patuxent River, Maryland. Over the 258-foot distance of the aircraft's catapult launch, 'Goose lost with 1.97 seconds at 118.20 mph to the F-14's 1.76 seconds and 175.86 mph.

In Sept. '83, Garlits did another shoot aboard the USS John F. Kennedy with his exhibition turbine dragster, Swamp Rat XXVIII. He got more serious in the Apr. '87 mag with an actual race against a Navy F/A-18 Hornet at New Jersey's Lakehurst Naval Air Station. The race was 300 feet, covered in 2.29 seconds by the plane while Garlits was unable to hook up on the runway. A special 300-foot timer was set up at the Keystone Nationals to clock Garlits at 2.39 seconds. The Navy had won again.

Note that the race at Pax River in '75 was using the land based catapult to launch the Tomcat. A current Top Fueler might give any cat shot a run for their money.

hrdp_1975_09_z+hot_rod_cover.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
32,000 lbs of thrust? I thought the Blues had already transitioned to the more powerful "C" model w/ 18,000 lb thrust engines.

Blues are flying some of the oldest A models in the inventory.

Brett

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Blues are flying some of the oldest A models in the inventory.

Brett

That's true, but the local fishwrap reported last Winter that the Blues were transitioning to newer "C" models w/ more powerful engines. Guess that was bad bogey-dope.