• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angel crashes, pilot ejects ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Skidtz said:
On a somewhat tangential note - is it disturbing that the primary Pensacola Newspaper uses the Florabama Lounge Package Store and Oyster Bar and Grill as a ground reference?

Well, they used Lillian's Pizza too, so at least now I know THAT survived the hurricane. :) If it really bugs you that much, go tell the reporter it REALLY happened off the 185 radial of KNUN at 35DME (or wherever). Then watch their eyes glaze over . . . :icon_tong

STA-21-INTEL

They just held a press conference to release the pilots name in the accident. I won't put it in here, but the local newspaper website has the full story.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
STA-21-INTEL said:
They just held a press conference to release the pilots name in the accident. I won't put it in here, but the local newspaper website has the full story.

It's public. Put it here. This is the Current News forum.

STA-21-INTEL

Blue Angels identify downed pilot

From staff reports

The Navy Blue Angels have released the name of the pilot who safely ejected into the Gulf of Mexico Wednesday afternoon before the F/A-18 Hornet jet crashed into the water.

Navy Lt. Ted Steelman, 32, from Star, Idaho, was flying an unnumbered Blue Angel jet on a routine, hour-long training mission when the incident occurred. Steelman is the team's opposing solo, and flies the Number Six jet during the demonstration.

Steelman was released from the Pensacola Naval Hospital today and is resting at home. Hours after the crash, Steelman was listed in good condition at the hospital. The $28 million jet is still in the Gulf, said Blues spokesman Chief Petty Officer Vic Brabble.

Fellow members of the elite flight demonstration team canceled their practice today, Brabble said. An investigation into the incident has been initiated by the Naval Safety Center, which is the Navy's version of the National Transportation Board.

"The investigation can go from days to weeks to months," Brabble said. "We just don't know how long it will take."

petescheu

Penguin said:
The last sentence of the article is referring to the previous Blue Angels crash in Georgia in 1999, I believe. The recent flight was a two ship, both pilots solo, and he did eject safely.

Yeah that was from Moody AFB. I talked to the 3rd FTS CO about it (prior Thunderbird pilot) and he said that they were pretty sure he GLOC'd and ended up planting it... really sad.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
We recovered a 14 down of Key West back in 92. I'm sure they will be sending someone out to recover it. There are tons of Navy divers in that neck of the woods. With NDSTC, NEDU, NAVSCOLEOD and more in the area, I'm sure they will be diving on the wreck soon if not already. THe water in that area is very shallow so it's no big deal for salvage.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Blacky said:
Heard it was a bird strike. Nothing official yet, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me. Stupid seagulls!
Speaking of nothing official... I heard a "good ol boy" on the radio this morning who said he witnessed it and one of the engines had black smoke coming from it before he ejected. He, too, referenced seagulls but Bubba is by no means an expert nor was he probably knowledgeable on aviation issues. Just passing on some more hearsay in the story.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
EODDave said:
We recovered a 14 down of Key West back in 92. I'm sure they will be sending someone out to recover it. There are tons of Navy divers in that neck of the woods. With NDSTC, NEDU, NAVSCOLEOD and more in the area, I'm sure they will be diving on the wreck soon if not already. THe water in that area is very shallow so it's no big deal for salvage.

Yeah, but none of those are salvage units and most likely lack the gear for the job. Is there anyone here from MDSU-2? I bet they will be headed down there, and then 'borrow' divers from those commands. That's what usually happens. How deep are we talking? Are they gonna be able to get a junk boat in there? We recovered a Titan 4 rocket off Cape Canaveral and it was only 30-60' deep and had to be done completely with small boats in SCUBA. That job SUCKED! Hope its far enough off shore to make for some good diving.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatsisname said:
:icon_lol: another one joins the Martin-Baker Fan Club

Yeah, you get a pin, tie, patch and a standing offer to get a free tour of the factory in the UK. They gave out that stuff at a RAG AOM a few years ago to some guys who punched out.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Flash said:
Yeah, you get a pin, tie, patch and a standing offer to get a free tour of the factory in the UK. They gave out that stuff at a RAG AOM a few years ago to some guys who punched out.

don't forget the framed certificate...

pops has the whole set courtesy of a MB MkVII and an RF-4C. Spent an hour or two of the coast of Poland in 1981... thank God for the Danish Royal Air Force helo that picked him and his pilot up, just in time too because a Polish patrol boat was maybe ten minutes from them :eek: .

Status
Not open for further replies.