• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue 21 selection

divefreak07

Uscga

If you are a cadet at the USCGA, how probable is it for you to be accepted into the Blue 21 flight program?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
My understanding is that Blue 21 is for OCS not the academy although I'm not 100% sure.

You can compete for flight school directly out of the academy now during your senior year but I have heard that it's pretty competitive.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
By and large you will go to sea

The vast majority of newly-minted Ensigns graduating from the Academy will go to sea to do the King's business for about 2 years. During that time they can compete for flight school; some pilots I served with left their ships after 20 months so you may not be at sea for a full two years (it is all about timing). There are a handful of slots for flight school, and I've heard tell that a few ashore jobs have gone to graduates as well, as they did not have enough afloat billets available.

After your time afloat you can continue to pursue flight school, go to another ship (takes all kinds), go to a Marine Safety job (oil spills, port security and other exciting stuff), or a sector job where you may be part of a Rescue Coordination Center running large-scale SAR cases. I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting; recommend you contact a recruiter or check out www.coastguardocs.com.

shogun187

Does anyone know of a specific site that lists when the selection panels will be held for Blue 21 applicants? I'm trying to figure out application deadlines, etc. so I can get my packet together for 2009.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
^ Ditto. I'm no Coast Guard expert, but I'd say that the VAST majority of Coasties I saw at API (especially those in my class) were JG and even one LT (class leader) who went to sea for a short tour before picking up a pilot slot and coming to pcola. I know there was one academy type who got the slot right out of the Academy and I think an OCS type who had a pilot slot as well, but most came from the fleet.

divefreak07

thanks. Now do you have any advice of what activities and things i need to be invovled in to be considered to attend the uscga?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
thanks. Now do you have any advice of what activities and things i need to be invovled in to be considered to attend the uscga?

CGA is looking for well rounded student/athletes. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to play a sport, but show you do things outside of the classroom (i.e. boy scouts, student council, clubs, etc). Playing sports and hooking up with the coach of that sport at CGA can also prove beneficial. As expected, solid academic/SAT/ACT scores are a huge factor as well.

divefreak07

so if i am varsity lacrosse, varsity soccer, grade point avg. 3.6 or so and the drum major for the marching band. what other things are open for me that will help me get into the uscga. do they look at foreign languages? how many year of a foreign language do you need.
and by the way, thanks for all the info you've given me already. its helped a lot.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, gotcha....an Enlisted to Officer commissioning program for Coasties.....good deal!

-ea6bflyr ;)

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Not sure if the foreign language helps but all the rest of the stuff you listed will. I'd say at this point, keep doing what you're doing, and do well on your SATs/ACTs.

It's been a while since I've been through the process (14 years) so take everything I put here with a grain of salt.

divefreak07

while competing for flight school, you said that most officers are put on cutters right? how long do cutters go out? is it as extensive as the navy or no? idc, im just wondering. and thanks again

sardaddy

pilot
For some clarification, as pointed out earlier, Blue21 is a program to get specific people into CG aviation via OCS. The Coast Guard academy is a four year college and has nothing to do with blue 21 and there is no guaratee of aviation if you attend the academy.

As of about four years ago the academy allows a small percentage of graduates to attend flight training (10-20 a year). Most of the other graduates are assigned to a ship for a minimum of two years. During that time they can deploy anywhere from 2-6 months at a time. An officer in that position can apply to flight training as often as they would like until they are O-3s knowing there are usually two selection boards a year.

Hope that helps.