• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue 21 Flight Physical

midwestcop

I know most of you don't have experience with Blue 21, but I had a question regarding the application process, specifically the flight physical. I'm preparing my packet for the next Blue 21 / OCS process and I know you must have a Class I Flight Physical as part of the packet. My Class III Medical expired at the end of February and I have an appointment with a local doctor tomorrow afternoon to renew it so I can continue flying.

My question is, should I go ahead and upgrade to a Class I because I will need this for my Blue 21 packet, or does the USCG require that I go through a specific doctor or medical facility to receive the Class I. If I could go ahead and get it out of the way now I'd like to do that, but I don't want to waste the extra money and only get a one year medical if the USCG is going to make me redo it with their doctor in a couple months.

As usual, I am having a horrible time trying to get a recruiter to call or e-mail me back (3 week turnaround seems to be the norm). I know this is last minute because my appointment is in less than 24 hours, but if any of you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

sardaddy

pilot
I don't know the specifics of blue 21. But if the CG or any military branch requires a physical, they usually do it at their facilities with their own doctors. Especially flight physicals because civilian and military standards are not the same.

Brunes

pilot
Way I read the the Blue 21 requirements is you need to get a Class I physical BY a military flight surgeon. There is pretty much no use to have a civilian Class I because the certification required of military flight docs differing from civilian docs.

This is just spit balling- but is a "military flight physical" called a Class I anywhere??

It IS a different physical from a MEPS check and there IS a different requirement for flight status folks and regular Coasties regarding frequency and depth of detail.

midwestcop

Thanks for all your replies. I figured the USCG would want a military doctor to do the flight physical, but I wasn't entirely sure. I just didn't want to get a class III medical at my appointment tomorrow if I could have gotten a class I that would have been acceptable to the USCG. Thanks...

sardaddy

pilot
This is just spit balling- but is a "military flight physical" called a Class I anywhere??

Yes it is. In the Army, pilots needed class one flight physicals every year but crew chiefs and flight surgeons only needed class two or class three. So perhaps the wording is in there so they get the right flight physical if they go to a different service's medical facility for the physical.

The best thing to do is talk to your recruiter.