• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue 21 / Degree / Private Pilots License

Hellbringer

Hi,
I have read some of the other thread about the blue 21 program and I know that no one here has been though so there knowledge of the program is limited so I am not going to ask questions about the program but more about USCG policy and trends.

I am going to school to get my mechanical engineering degree (from a school that does qualify for blue 21)

Question 1: I read in another post that someone with the same degree out of OCS (not blue 21) was not given a flight spot seeing that there degree is more suited for them to be on a ship than in an aircraft. Does that happen? Is that the norm? Are there degrees that are more suited to getting a flight spot out of OCS?

Question 2: I also want to go get my PPL (private pilot license). If I get my PPL for fixed wing, if accepted into a flight spot will it be more likely for them to put me on flying fixed wing in vs. helos. The only reason I would get a fixed wing PPL is a helo PPL is over twice the price of a fixed wing PPL.

Questing 3: does the USCG have a height/seat requirement/limit and can you get a waiver. I know the Army has a 76" height limit and I am exactly 76" (go figure right) also does my height limit the airframe that I would be able to fly (again is it more likely that I will fly fixed due to my height)?

Thanks for your time
Mike

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't help you with your blue 21 questions, but I'll add to this:

Question 2: I also want to go get my PPL (private pilot license). If I get my PPL for fixed wing, if accepted into a flight spot will it be more likely for them to put me on flying fixed wing in vs. helos. The only reason I would get a fixed wing PPL is a helo PPL is over twice the price of a fixed wing PPL.

No, not at all. They won't take your PPL into account at all when making that decision. Entirely based upon your grades in primary in the T-34C (or T-6 most likely by the time you get to the VT's). More importantly, getting a PPL won't affect your chances of getting any sort of a pilot slot. If you wan't the PPL, go for it, but it isn't going to get you in the door. Beyond that, check all the other threads on this forum about "does having a private license help in flight school?"

As for the height thing, I don't know about the Coasties, but generally it is sitting height that gets people, not overall standing height. I know several guys in the 6'5-6'7" range who are allowed to squeeze into T-45's (typically the aircraft people are "anthrod out of".

srqwho

pilot
Hi,
I am going to school to get my mechanical engineering degree (from a school that does qualify for blue 21)

Question 1: I read in another post that someone with the same degree out of OCS (not blue 21) was not given a flight spot seeing that there degree is more suited for them to be on a ship than in an aircraft. Does that happen? Is that the norm? Are there degrees that are more suited to getting a flight spot out of OCS?

Questing 3: does the USCG have a height/seat requirement/limit and can you get a waiver. I know the Army has a 76" height limit and I am exactly 76" (go figure right) also does my height limit the airframe that I would be able to fly (again is it more likely that I will fly fixed due to my height)?

Thanks for your time
Mike

1. I know quite a few coasties that were not given flight spots out of OCS, but were given flight spots a year later after serving on a ship or some other place. I am pretty sure that the USCG opens up flight spots to their own fleet people once a year, and you can apply for it while in another designator. In fact, with the exception of maybe one guy, every single coastie I met in A-pool/API were all LTJGs or LTs that had been doing another job before getting to pcola. (OCS and academy types)

2. No. This may be off, but the coastie selection process, in terms of what you fly, happens early on in primary. The coastie pilots in my API class were saying that API class rank had a lot to do with their airframe selection.

3. I have no idea, but I know a couple girls who were anthro'd out of helos and they both were oompa loompa short, but that was the Navy side of the house.

Check out coastguardocs.com.

sardaddy

pilot
Mike

All of you questions have been answered but I wanted to hit on this one. If someone tells you that they were not picked for flight training because their degree applied better to a different vocation, they are saying that to make themselves feel better or their instructors told them that to make them feel better. Your degree has no real bearing on the job you are selected for out of OCS unless you use it to get a direct commission in a specific field or you personally push to get a job that relates.

All that happens for the flight eval is that you get to OCS and apply for flight training. Your score on your aviation tests, flight physical, and how well you are doing in your class ranking are all considered to determine who gets the "coveted" flight slots. If there are 5 slots and 10 people competing for them, the top 5 get it. Simple as that. They don't go into those top 5 and pull them because their degree could be used somewhere else. They also won't keep someone from applying based on their degree either.

In other words, good luck.

srqwho

pilot
All that happens for the flight eval is that you get to OCS and apply for flight training. Your score on your aviation tests, flight physical, and how well you are doing in your class ranking are all considered to determine who gets the "coveted" flight slots. If there are 5 slots and 10 people competing for them, the top 5 get it. Simple as that. They don't go into those top 5 and pull them because their degree could be used somewhere else. They also won't keep someone from applying based on their degree either.

In other words, good luck.

to the OP, One thing to consider doing before you go to OCS is to take the ASTB... if you get a shot to go to OCS. The gouge on Coastie OCS is that it is super difficult to get picked up for OCS in general (I've heard 10%)... so that is your first goal. Once you're in, if you are interested in flight you will take the ASTB while in OCS, which may be a little daunting given the stress of OCS. From the people I talked to, it is a good idea to prep and take the ASTB via a Navy recruiter if possible before going. That way you have it done and won't have to stress over it while at OCS.

Brunes

pilot
Hi,
I have read some of the other thread about the blue 21 program and I know that no one here has been though so there knowledge of the program is limited so I am not going to ask questions about the program but more about USCG policy and trends.

Complete and utter bull- I have an electrical engineering degree from the Academy and at no time has anyone tried to steer me towards an engineering field or specialty. I was a DWO (CG shipdriver) for two years and now I'm in flight school. Not a bit of wires or anything for me. (cept the -57C elex system...)

Don't spend any money on it. It might help your chances- but it'll also take your money. If you pay attention to your grades, any extra-curriculars, and getting a solid package put together- They will teach you how to fly.
As far as selections- Once you get into the Coast Guard, and Get a flight slot- Work had at API and the early flights in Primary and that will give you the best chances to get helos if that's what you want. (As a side note-Fixed wing selections are fairly slim int he CG right now- We are over-billeted for fixed wing aviators...So MOST folks are going helos right now.)

Yes there are...Not sure what they are. I think you would be cozy in a 65 but not uncomfortable...But again-I don't know for certain.

Thanks for your time
Mike[/quote]

Best of luck making your choice and planning/executing your plan.

sardaddy

pilot
I fly H-65s and I am just shy of 76" tall. It is a bit tight in the cockpit but certainly doable.

Victor Romen

More importantly, getting a PPL won't affect your chances of getting any sort of a pilot slot. If you wan't the PPL, go for it, but it isn't going to get you in the door.

This is not true. CG detailers do take into account people having a PPL. They look at picking someone for a flight slot as a $1 million gamble. If they know you have some aptitude at flying then it is less of a gamble. It also means they don't have to send you through IFS, which saves the CG money.

With that being said it doesn't mean you HAVE to have a PPL to get a slot. If you are a rock star at your job (OCS or beyond) and you do well on the ASTB you are all the more likely to get a slot.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
This is not true. CG detailers do take into account people having a PPL. They look at picking someone for a flight slot as a $1 million gamble. If they know you have some aptitude at flying then it is less of a gamble. It also means they don't have to send you through IFS, which saves the CG money.

With that being said it doesn't mean you HAVE to have a PPL to get a slot. If you are a rock star at your job (OCS or beyond) and you do well on the ASTB you are all the more likely to get a slot.

Your right, it may factor into the decision process depending on the detailer, but IMHO, it's not worth the expense out of pocket if the only reason you are doing it is to enhance your flight school package.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Fair enough......I guess I am only really commenting on the Navy side here, so disregard if the CG does things differenly