• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood pressure

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I had to get a physical of sorts at work and my blood pressure was a little high. The nurse that took it suggested that I urinate and then she'd take it again (required pre- employment drug screening). Afterwards it dropped considerably. She said that having to urinate will sometimes make your blood pressure go up. Maybe someone can confirm this as true, but it seemed to work for me.

She had me come back in for the next few weeks just to monitor it and every time it was fine. It could have also been WCS, too. Anytime that I go to a doctor I get a little nervous that they might find something that would get me NPQ'ed. :eek:

pilot06

Two cups of beet juice is supposed to drastically reduce BP if taken about an hour before the doc takes your BP.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
WCS can definately drive your BP up. We're not that scary are we? :icon_rage

Try taking some deep breaths in the chair, relax, and don't cross your legs (sounds strange, but it does affect BP). Is the HM using a machine or manual cuff? When I went for my annual the machine pegged me in the 140s, by manual cuff, it's in the 120's. You have a right to ask for the manual method. The machines are not always calibrated right, and can be oversensitive.

As for the rest, there's some pretty good advice here. Diet and exercise are the two major factors that can manage BP. Cut out the fastfood after a day of flying, and get some activity in.

Oh, and you could always take the standard "ice and stretch it" ;)

Try telling that to the HMs in Pensacola. I did and the result wasn't pretty...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Why did they care?

Because "THAT IS THE WAY WE DO IT!!!! YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!"

Something like that...

respect_my_authority-774051.jpg

srqwho

pilot
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but at MEPS if you test high they will retest you right then yes? If nothing is said then I'm assuming all's okay? I ask because they retested a couple guys right there on the spot. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but when I looked at them after I noticed that they were higher than normal. I think this was because the doc called me out for being an idiot and walking the long way around the room... I was fuming a little, but it was my own fault for having my head up my arse.

The white coat syndrome is strange. I run 40+ miles a week and my resting HR in the mornings has been as low as the high 40's. At MEPS I was sitting in the chair and could see my shirt moving my heart was beating so hard. That day it was 85 BPM. I don't get it, but I guess it was within the parameters.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I had to get a physical of sorts at work and my blood pressure was a little high. The nurse that took it suggested that I urinate and then she'd take it again (required pre- employment drug screening). Afterwards it dropped considerably. She said that having to urinate will sometimes make your blood pressure go up. Maybe someone can confirm this as true, but it seemed to work for me.

She had me come back in for the next few weeks just to monitor it and every time it was fine. It could have also been WCS, too. Anytime that I go to a doctor I get a little nervous that they might find something that would get me NPQ'ed. :eek:

Having to urinate triggers an anxiety response by the body, raising BP.