• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blackhawk Driver Gone Bad?

bobbybrock

None
Hell of a quick stop/flare. My first reaction is power settling - did the verticle rate of decent exceed the ability of the pilot at the controls to arrest the rate of decent with collective/power? Was there vortex ring state? Combination of both?

Chuck you are correct. The model 60 shown is an old Alpha model which has limited rotor droop compensation. As you pull in that armpit full of collective to arrest your landing or desel. in this case, the aircraft engine just don't react fast enough and you loose rotor. When I give a guy a qual in a Lima model this is one of the things we demo. The Lima and now Mike model have the extra Nr sensor which greatly reduces the risk of this happening.
I believe the pilots where guard bubbas doing a demo for a boy scout troop.

highside7r

None
Really depends on what the investigation board determines after the accident review is complete, but I know guys that are still flying after having Class A accidents. We always lead maneuvers with collective in the "A" with 700's, and I am sure during the flare the collective during this case was bottomed out. My unit is has the new 701D's, but without the extra Nr sensor or -60B transmission.

MasterBates

I don't know. Rotor brake mount and util pump hole maybe?

Do the B/F/H/R have a common main xmsn? I honestly don't know, but I thought the B/F/H all took the same one, just with different crap bolted on.

Bevo16

pilot
The aux hyd system on the F (hoist and sonar reeling machine) is driven by the main tranny. On the H it is off the backup pump (hoist only).

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, ok, I think that is the same thing with the S. The Block II has a utility hyd pump for the anti mine sled.

highside7r

None
The UH-60L went operational in the late 80's. The -60B tranny can handle the power of the 701C motors, pretty much 401C's for the Seahawk. Since the transmission is also "navalized", components have a longer TBO, equals saving $$$ in the long run. The utility pump and rotor brake mounts are still there, but the regular Army is never going to buy those.

The -701D takes the -700 TGT limitations out of our mission challenges, having the extra power and somewhat cooler running engines, sadly we are now limited by the transmission.

busdriver

None
The AF has what we call improved durability gearboxes to go along with the 701C motors. It sounds like we (Army and AF) got them from the Navy. Some of the AF birds have rotor brakes, some do not. Our hoists run off the backup pump.

It sounds like the 701D makes the 60 perform better at high altitude versus any real gain at sea level then?

bobbybrock

None
The UH-60L went operational in the late 80's. The -60B tranny can handle the power of the 701C motors, pretty much 401C's for the Seahawk. Since the transmission is also "navalized", components have a longer TBO, equals saving $$$ in the long run. The utility pump and rotor brake mounts are still there, but the regular Army is never going to buy those.

The -701D takes the -700 TGT limitations out of our mission challenges, having the extra power and somewhat cooler running engines, sadly we are now limited by the transmission.

My unit inherited some UH-60 A/D from the active duty while we wait for our a/c to arrive in country. The new engines bring some extra power to the table but not much more. I've encountered one hot start in my 4000 hrs of flying H-60A/L and HH's. Since I've been here I've encountered them daily with the new engines. It is typical army. Trying to make something old new by half-assing it.
Busdriver we have the same trany in the L model and M. The M does have the rotor brake.

highside7r

None
We are having major issues with the 701D swap as well, mainly due to having 20 other mods going on at the same time, some to me seemed rushed as we get ready for deployment. Maintenance can't keep up, even in the Navy we had a hard time with 6 or 7 aircraft (more avionics/corrosion control), but the Navy system made it happen. I don't ever remember busting a launch cycle with a down helo, came close a few times.