• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Black & white striped, 37” tailhook with XXD markings

TRJohnson Proxy

My deceased Father was bequeathed a tailhook by a Naval aviator friend who served in both WW2 & Korea. Is there any means of determining the aircraft to which the above-described tailhook would have been associated? Thank you.IMG_5666.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That hook is worthy of a proper strip and powder coat in original paint and markings and hung on a display plaque. Would like fetch a premium from collectors

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Since the original owner was a WWII and Korean War guy it is likely not a jet hook at all. My guess is that it is off an F4F Wildcat “stinger” hook. Other period aircraft like the Corsair, Hellcat, and 1st generation jets had pretty long hooks.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
My thought was it was cut short to make it easier to display, or maybe because it had been bent from a crash, but the owner just never got around to finishing the project. I know of on-scene investigator's who made it a priority to extract the hook for their own personal display, some of which were considerably bent. It's identical to my hook, just much shorter, and it's missing the rubber bumper, but where it was attached is visible. I stripped mine of old paint, welded mounting brackets, & re-painted it. It's 6' 7" in length. After X amount of arrested engagements, the hooks are deemed no-longer air worthy and are sent to Pensacola, most of which were used to make decorative "fence" around the drive up to the museum, or farmed out to O clubs, etc., to be mounted above the bar. Mine was acquired out behind the hangar one night when the maintenance chief asked me if I was interested in a timed-out tail hook. I couldn't get there fast enough.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My thought was it was cut short to make it easier to display, or maybe because it had been bent from a crash, but the owner just never got around to finishing the project. I know of on-scene investigator's who made it a priority to extract the hook for their own personal display, some of which were considerably bent. It's identical to my hook, just much shorter, and it's missing the rubber bumper, but where it was attached is visible. I stripped mine of old paint, welded mounting brackets, & re-painted it. It's 6' 7" in length. After X amount of arrested engagements, the hooks are deemed no-longer air worthy and are sent to Pensacola, most of which were used to make decorative "fence" around the drive up to the museum, or farmed out to O clubs, etc., to be mounted above the bar. Mine was acquired out behind the hangar one night when the maintenance chief asked me if I was interested in a timed-out tail hook. I couldn't get there fast enough.
Zip, you indeed have a fine looking tailhook. i love your mounting and display. Nice work, and a great conversation starter for those honored to visit your home. Well done, sir!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Thank you so much. It is indeed a conversation starter. Those unfamiliar with Naval aviation always ask what it is. Those who are familiar always say that it is really cool. I was very pleased with the final result. Again, thank you for the kind words.