• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Birthday Ball

AV8BQAR

Mech
Phrog, now that I know who you are, I can give you candid advice. PM me and I will tell you about 203's most excellent ball in 2004.

In 2005, we used the Havelock welcome center. Not bad for location, since the Hampton Inn shares a parking lot with it. Unfortunately the Hampton costs more than a DUI.

I would have to say the best way to put on a good ceremony is quality audio/visual. Nobody likes a crappy emcee or second-rate sound system. Use motivating, pertinent (aka airwing stuff) images to hold attention. Lots of explosions in the videos. Throw some grunt action in there for those with the secret fetish. We want the worst non-hackers to feel the pull of pride.

Try to limit the guest speaker's rant. We just had a mess night and we had a phenomenal guest. He might be hard to book, though- we had connections.

Keep your ear to the pulse of the squadron. There is nothing worse than hearing groans when the squadron's Loud Overmotivator plays up his or her part in the ceremony. If one of those guys volunteers (and you know they will!), keep it to a non-speaking role.

I don't need to tell you, but a reminder to consider child care setups. More on that with the 2004 203 Ball. Also, concerning alcohol, allow for a variety. in 2005 we had white zin or chardonnay for wine choices. As a result I drank too much of the chardonnay (the zin was ORANGE) and do not remember the dancing portion. Good thing I spent my DUI money at the Hampton.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We're doing Myrtle Beach. I hope to use whatever excuse I can to go down there for "planning." Take an aircraft down....j/k. I think it will be good, plus we have a possible inside line on a speaker that will rock if we get him...a definite break from the "dial-a-general" routine that sometimes gives you coma-inducing speeches.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I think it will be good, plus we have a possible inside line on a speaker that will rock if we get him...a definite break from the "dial-a-general" routine that sometimes gives you coma-inducing speeches.
Tony Robbins?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Don't want to jinx it, esp. since it's not confirmed, but I'll let you know if it gets the go-ahead. Tony Robbins would be a good one though. I'll ask if the CO knows him. Maybe Dr. Phil as a back-up.

stevo01

brd2881 said:
Seems like quite a challenge to get all the Marines to stay for the whole Ball. I don't understand why sometimes guys/girls pay for the tickets and the booze and then bail afterwards to get into civies and go barhopping, something you can do any friday or saturday. If you held the party in the Hangar with some birds around it creates a cool atmosphere I think, but yeah expensive and time consuming to decorate, cater and then clean up afterwards. On the other hand a hotel seems great but then if its downtown in some city, Marines seem to want to bail to go to bars or whatnot. No DD issue at a hotel either. Having a good, interesting speaker with a brief but engaging message/speech would be cool as well. I wish you the best and hope the planning goes well.

i can tell you why! not every Marine has a girl or sig other, so why stick around at a place that has 0 chances of getting laid? you dont!

honest truth

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
stevo01 said:
i can tell you why! not every Marine has a girl or sig other, so why stick around at a place that has 0 chances of getting laid? you dont!

honest truth

In a military town, being drunk off your ass wearing dress blues doesn't exactly have the Spanish Fly effect people think it does. I venture to say that the proportion of unattached Marines suddenly picking up chicks afterwards is really small. Think about it. If you had any game to start with, you would have taken a date to the ball, and not need to cruise the bars afterward.

stevo01

phrogdriver said:
In a military town, being drunk off your ass wearing dress blues doesn't exactly have the Spanish Fly effect people think it does. I venture to say that the proportion of unattached Marines suddenly picking up chicks afterwards is really small. Think about it. If you had any game to start with, you would have taken a date to the ball, and not need to cruise the bars afterward.

somewhat truthful...but the chase is usually better than the catch.

i see what you are saying, but im in a college town...a little easier than on base

best of luck sir

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Think about it. If you had any game to start with, you would have taken a date to the ball, and not need to cruise the bars afterward.
I met my wife at a Navy ball. A friend of mine took her as his date (he's now a P-3 NFO) and I took some sorority chick. I told my friend's date I'd meet her at a party and then I took my date and dropped her off (I didn't even get out of the car). Went to the party with a bottle of Goldschlager and the rest is history.