• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bird Strikes/Visor Protection Help Needed

hscs

pilot
I have some good ones on my work computer -- can get them to you. PM email address.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At a safety stand down in HT-8, an IP told us this story (this excerpt from Naval Aviation News May/June 1998)

A T-34C Turbo-Mentor of Training Squadron 6, NAS Whiting Field, Fla., suffered a bird strike just after takeoff on a night training flight on 26 March. The instructor pilot in the front seat, Lt. James Deyo, USCG, was knocked unconscious. The student, 2nd Lt. Bill Howlett, USMC, with only 15 hours of daylight flight time, took over the controls and prepared to land. On approach, the instructor regained consciousness and landed the plane despite
serious facial injuries

The IP's helmet was knocked off of his head into the back cockpit and he actually lost an eye from the bird. Sorry, can't remember if his visor was up or down.

Not sure if it is metioned in Mumble's vid, I can't view it here, but I believe the stud got an Air Medal.

bubba716

Flash, if this is the same incident I read about in the Gazette, he did receive an Air Medal. I want to say that the article mentioned it being one of the only times a SNA has received it.

brownshoe

Contributor
Sorry I was not able to respond earlier, this scan was on my office computer, and we have been moving my office since last week.

This is the back cover of an old Approach issue, it is not a bird strike incident, but it sure shows you a very good reason for keeping your visor down. If you would like I will find the issue this photo is from, I believe there were several stories pertaining to visors.

Steve

Attachments

• visor.jpg
    visor.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 104

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Medal

Flash, if this is the same incident I read about in the Gazette, he did receive an Air Medal. I want to say that the article mentioned it being one of the only times a SNA has received it.
Bubba, for another incident of an SNA Air Medal, check my post on Current News forum, Passenger Lands Plane... thread posted 04-13, 9:17am.
VR BzB:)

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
We smashed a small bird in Iraq. Broke the windscreen and disintegrated on impact. I was left with bird guts on my person, but no injury.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Thanks all for the great responses. I have that little extra for the training I'll be doing.

On a positive note, it looks like we will be starting to fly with dual controls in our aircraft for the patrol stuff. The "Carter Light" which was manually operated by a large handle which can interfere with the right seat cyclic will be a thing of the past. We are finally graduating to the "Night Sun" which is operated by a "coolie hat" on both the Tactical Flight Officer's (TFO) hand controller and the "coolie hat" on the pilot's cyclic. No more cumbersome handle coming out of the deck.

Now if one of us eats a turkey buzzard, the other has a chance.

I'll still be looking at the eye protection for use with the NVGs.

X

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We got our riggers to put the bungee visors on our helmets before cruise, for the exact reasons mentioned. Wearing visors day-and-night is so important, so what makes more sense: having the pilots disassemble the stupid knob assembly inflight when sunset approaches, possibly making FOD in the cockpit, or have easy-snap visors that take about 30 seconds to change out?

We got sniffed at during an inspection by Wing, about how we "didn't rate" the bungee visors. Our riggers: "Oh, really? Well, we already threw away the old parts, so..."

Good shit.

R10T

Do you have access to old Approach magazines? There would be an article in there from sometime in the late 80-early 82 time frame on a bird strike on a VT-6 T-34 by a turkey buzzard. Broke the windscreen, knocked the student out and broke his collarbone, continued through to the back seat, hits the instructor in the visor, which breaks (but protected him from worse injuries). He is blinded by blood from the cuts. Aircraft has rolled inverted at this point; instructor (who can't see) yells over the ICS for the student. With the wind coming through (from the broken windshield), no response from the student, and aircraft inverted, he makes educated guess that the student has bailed out. So he bails out. Land safely in a farmer's field. In the meantime, the student regains consciousness. Uninverts the aircraft, no instructor, so he flies back solo (with a broken collarbone.)
I had the instructor for a couple of flights about six months later - really good instructor.
Updated version. Roles reversed.

Attachments

• Howlett Deyo.PNG
    Howlett Deyo.PNG
    186.3 KB · Views: 28