• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Biplane Ride!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a "welcome home from Iraq" gift, my wife bought me a 40 minute biplane ride and I am scheduled to go fly on Saturday! I'm pumped because I've always loved the look of the biplane and I have wanted to fly one.

Anyone ever taken a biplane flight? I'm going to fly with a a retired Navy guy named Chuck from barnstorming.com here in San Diego...well really Palomar (N. San Diego). They offer 10% off for military! I'll get to practice those monkey (pilot) skills that I've since long forgotten.

Any tips for the first time flight in this 1920's aircraft? I plan on wearing jeans, long sleeve shirt and my leather flight jacket! I'll be taking my camera for sure.

I'll be sure to post some pics when the flight is complete.

-ea6bflyr ;)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I've had several flights inn a Pitts bi-plane. I never did any of the stick work, but had a blast every time.

BENDER

pilot
I caught the bug in a open cockpit biplane when I was about 16 and a ex f-14 pilot took me for a ride. We were at a air park where he lived and I was there for a retirement party my mom made me go to. It was a experimental class and he only did rolls, no loops but it was still bada$$.
About a month ago I went to go talk to a guy in his hanger working on a red Pitts over at the local airport, he offered me a ride, this time I knew how to fly and words cant describe the eye watering roll rate and speed this thing has! I think it was a S2-C, and from that day on I promised myself I will buy one. When I get a quarter million. Biplanes rock, simple as that.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Becareful of airplane rides bought by wives. My mom got the old man a ride in a T-6 a few years ago, the guy crashed it on landing. He swears to this day it was all part of her master plan.

FastMover

NFO
None
Any tips for the first time flight in this 1920's aircraft? ;)

You might want to take some sunglasses (pref wraparound type) to help keep the wind out of your eyes, too.

I got to ride in a Stearman a couple summers ago and it was a blast. Open cockpit flying is simply amazing...nothing like the feeling of the wind in your face as you're flying around. You won't be disappointed!

Here's a pic that was taken after we landed.

DSCN2003.jpg

HuggyU2

None
I flew a Travel Air about 6 years ago out of Torrence Airport in LA (Zamperini). Really enjoyed it. Have a great time!

nugget81

pilot
I did some aerobatics in a Great Lakes a few years ago...probably the most fun I've had flying yet! Enjoy the flight!

N6247L_LowRes.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I got a ride in a stearman when I was younger and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. One of the JOs in my dad's squadron owned the plane and told us he'd take us up if we bought the gas. Its been part of my master plan to own a stearman someday ever since. Get him to do a power off stall for you... Unbelievably cool...

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I used to work for Barnstormers many years ago. A class act. I don't know if Mike Sheeehan still works for them, but he is the first signature in my logbook!

B

Blutonski816

Here's a pic that was taken after we landed.

DSCN2003.jpg

Is that you and "Lites" Leenhouts??

back on topic... I got a biplane ride as a kid a long time ago when I was 11... already had the flying bug since age 7, that just solidified it all as a great piece of moto...
except to my mother looking on, lol...

and seconding the notion of some protective eyewear...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I would like to see a pic of you in that ascot thingy.

As a "welcome home from Iraq" gift, my wife bought me a 40 minute biplane ride and I am scheduled to go fly on Saturday! I'm pumped because I've always loved the look of the biplane and I have wanted to fly one.

Any tips for the first time flight in this 1920's aircraft?
I'll be sure to post some pics when the flight is complete.

-ea6bflyr ;)