• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

biographical section of astb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwm522

I have been flying for about 3 years and am trying to qualify for a pilot slot, but I am not sure what exactly they look for with the section that asks questions about your personality and activities. I know I love flying but what exactly are they looking in that section to prove it?
Thanks for any responses!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
what they look for is leadership and risktakers. Don't lie, but realize that Naval aviation is dangerous so they ask questions like: In the past six months have you: Argued with a stranger? Driven your car recklessly for fun? jumped from a high place? Hedge your bets toward the riskier stuff, if you answer them to conservatively, you'll be disqualified.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was informed when I service selected that they no longer look at the biographical inventory. The story I heard was there's zero correlation between the scores on that part of the ASTB and attrition rates in flight school. So don't stress it. Nail the rest of the test and you'll do fine.

Kycntryboy

pilot
The may say the BI doesn't count, but it does, not directly though. I got all 6's on my scores as a pilot, but I got 6's and 7's for NFO. They use the BI to gauge you, they won't disqualify you. They want more of a risk taker for pilot and more of a level headed person for NFO.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nittany is right - they don't use the BI section anymore. I don't think they even give or score that part of test anymore. This is what "they" look at and why -

AQR: Predictor of performance in academic portions of API and ground school
PFAR, FOFAR: Predictors of flight grades in primary flight training
PBI, FOBI: designed to predict attrition, but currently suspended due to lack of correlation

Rumor has it that they are in the works of redesigning the test, and keeping it out of the hands of ARCO and folks like them so the tests can't be gamed. Should be interesting.

Ruck on -

Rugger

JKD

I took the test last month, and we skipped the main BI section. There was a smaller one after the BI section that seemed like it was similar. I was told the BI section of the test was compromised by someone with access to the test. (I did not receive a PBI or FOBI score)

Gonzodogg

UInavy
I heard that they will soon be replacing the ASTB with a new test. Probably something that came from that prototype that you took.

Status
Not open for further replies.