• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

billet holder tips

motiv8r

I was bored last night and decided to write this. Hopefully it will help some of you about to ship. Anyone who has been through OCS and has anything to add and/or disagree with, please feel free, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

A Guide to Candidate Billets

A large part of your leadership evaluation at OCS will be based on your performance as a billet holder. At first, the responsibilities billets present can seem confusing, or even overwhelming. In an effort to help future candidates prepare for the billets they will hold at OCS, I have prepared this guide. By no means will reading this guide guarantee you a favorable billet evaluation; furthermore, please remember that the ideas presented are my own and do not necessarily reflect official Marine Corps or OCS policy. My aim in writing this guide is to give future candidates a basic context for what each billet does so that they don’t get “lost in the sauce” when they are placed in a position of leadership at OCS.

There are a few important things to remember about candidate billets. The first and most important thing is to know the location of every candidate and rifle in your unit AT ALL TIMES. Accountability is everything at OCS; losing track of one rifle, even for a short period of time, will guarantee you a billet failure and probably a meeting with the Colonel as well. Second, your staff will be much harder on billet holders toward the beginning of OCS. Don’t get discouraged if your first billet evaluation is “unfavorable”; most candidates will fail their first billet. Use each billet as a learning experience and build on it. Third, don’t be afraid to take the initiative and make decisions in the absence of specific instructions. A commonly heard phrase at OCS is “good initiative, bad judgment”. Unless your judgment really is terrible (in which case your time in Quantico will be relatively short), it is better to have good initiative and bad judgment than no initiative at all. Finally, remember to work hard for other candidates who hold billets, and you will find that they will do the same for you when it is your turn to lead.

Fire Team Leader
Your first billet at OCS will probably be as a fire team leader, especially if you are non-prior service. Each squad will have 3-4 fire teams of 3-5 people. Your job as a fire team leader is relatively simple and straightforward. You simply must pass the word down from your squad leader, supervise your fire team in the conduct of various tasks such as cleaning (“field daying”) the house, and generally ensure that the candidates in your fire team are squared away. Your staff will not write a written evaluation on this billet, although your performance may factor into your leadership evaluation. Toward the end of your time at OCS, selection of fire team leaders becomes more informal and is not assigned; squad leaders usually pick them arbitrarily, choosing the candidates that they work with well.

Squad Leader
Each platoon consists of three squads. Your job as a squad leader is an important one, and you will be given a written evaluation of your performance by one of your sergeant instructors. You are expected to work with your candidate platoon commander and candidate platoon sergeant to accomplish missions which are tasked to you. For example, during field days, one squad will clean the head, another will clean the deck, and the third will tighten racks, square away the laundry room and do other miscellaneous tasks. You will be held personally accountable for your squad’s performance in these tasks; if your squad didn’t clean the head well, it is ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT. The secret to this billet, and indeed every billet, is attention to detail. If you are told to make sure that every candidate in your squad has a marked PT shirt ready for morning PT the next day, don’t tell them to do it and then trust that they’ll take care of it; INSPECT!! You are responsible for every candidate in your squad, and this applies to the higher billets as well, e.g. candidate platoon and company commander.

Candidate Guide
Many refer to this as the “non-billet” of OCS. As a guide you are basically the backup candidate platoon sergeant, and many a guide billet has been completed with the candidate doing more or less nothing. However, the guide does have important responsibilities, such as carrying the guide-on ahead of the company when your platoon is the duty platoon. This can be tough and you will have to rely on the candidates behind you to correct your drifting while marching. Remember to take charge at any opportunity if you get the guide billet. Candidate platoon sergeants tend to get yelled at a lot; if your staff is chewing out the C.P.S. in the corner, don’t just stand there, take charge and make sure that the platoon is doing what it should be doing. Also bear in mind that you will be evaluated by a sergeant instructor on this billet, and that you need to take charge and do something at some point to earn at least a “marginal” grade.

Candidate Platoon Sergeant
At OCS, Candidate Platoon Sergeant is probably the most demanding and stressful billet. You will be responsible for guiding the platoon through most of its basic routine—reveille, morning cleanup, formations, marching to/from chow, etc. As such, you will need to develop a command voice and learn to call cadence. You will also be subject to nearly constant pressure, correction, and even mockery from your enlisted staff, especially if you get this billet toward the beginning of OCS. Keeping your bearing and command presence is an absolute must during this billet. If you call a drill movement on the wrong foot, for example, your staff will make a very big deal of it; maintain your bearing and carry on, and thirty seconds later they will have forgotten about it and have moved on to something else.

Over the course of this billet, your staff will make you sound off until you lose your voice. Remember that they’re not looking for volume as much as intensity and continue to sound off as loudly as you can. The secret to this billet is to utilize your subordinates properly. Don’t try to explain to the entire platoon what they have to do next; call the squad leaders over, brief them, have them brief their fire team leaders, etc. Then all you have to do is give a brief command of execution instead of hollering at your entire platoon for minutes on end.

Candidate Platoon Commander
At first glance, this billet may seem easy. The candidate platoon commander serves as the liaison between the platoon commander (the Captain) and the platoon. As a general rule, officers rarely raise their voice at OCS; officers will not yell at you unless you do something really, really wrong, like lose your weapon or blatantly disrespect an OCS staff member. Because the platoon commander will not be in your face all the time, the minute-to-minute stress of this billet is considerably less than that of the candidate platoon sergeant. However, this billet holds a great deal of responsibility. The candidate platoon commander is directly responsible for the platoon’s performance in everything the platoon does. If the Captain isn’t happy with the platoon, you may find yourself writing a lot of essays at night about how you failed as a leader.

Your platoon commander will expect you to be fully knowledgeable on the welfare of every member of the platoon; you should know from memory who went to sick call today, whose feet are bothering them, etc. Expect the Captain to throw you curveballs constantly: before taps, he/she might ask you, “what did the platoon think about noon chow today?” or “Are Candidate Smuckatelli’s shin splints still bothering him?” Not knowing will be an indication that you’re not looking out for the welfare of the platoon. Likewise, having several candidates fall out of a hump due to heat exhaustion will be seen as a failure of leadership on your part since you didn’t adequately ensure that the platoon was hydrated prior to the beginning of the hump.

Take as much initiative as you can when you have this billet, especially in the way of maximizing the welfare of everyone in the platoon. Also, make sure that the platoon is squared away at all times, especially before they go to chow as this is when platoon commanders tend to give the platoon a once-over. Any time the platoon is in formation or marching anywhere, you should be walking around checking for loose pack straps, improperly bloused boots, etc. Another important thing to do is compile and maintain an alphabetized list of every candidate with their name, rifle serial number, and padlock combinations. If you don’t get this list handed down from the previous candidate platoon commander, making one should be the very first thing that you do. Use your squad leaders to get it done.

Candidate Company Staff
There are four billets in the candidate company staff: candidate company gunnery sergeant, candidate company first sergeant, candidate company executive officer, and candidate company commander. With the exception of PLC Seniors, the first company staff will be composed of priors. These billets carry by far the most responsibility; the staff is ultimately held responsible for everything the company does or fails to do. If you get one of these billets while the company is spending a lot of time in the field, it will constitute the most challenging and stressful portion of your time at OCS. There are two secrets to running an efficient candidate company staff.

First, work together. Instead of segregating itself into four separate jobs, the staff should work as a committee of four in planning and carrying out its duties. Clearly, each staff member will carry out his/her specific duties; for example, the candidate first sergeant will call the company to attention during formation, the candidate company CO will report the company to instructors, etc. However, don’t get caught in the “this is/isn’t my job” trap. You have to pick up each other’s slack as fluidly as possible. For example, keeping track of the official final rifle count is the joint responsibility of the candidate company gunnery sergeant and candidate company first sergeant. As you will find out when you get to Quantico, the count must be kept up-to date constantly, especially after the company leaves its weapons outside for chow. If the company is finishing chow, and the candidate company gunnery sergeant is taking care of hot chows while the candidate company first sergeant is getting lectured by the company First Sergeant about not maintaining the company log book properly, and you are the candidate company commander, PICK UP THEIR SLACK!! Either appoint a candidate platoon sergeant to get the company’s final weapons count or do it yourself. Saying “that’s their job, they should take care if it,” would a leadership failure on your part.

Secondly, think in advance. At night, look at the schedule for the next day and try to anticipate any logistical problems that will arise. For example, if you see that the company will only have twenty minutes to get cleaned up after the endurance course, tell the candidate platoon sergeants to make sure that all their candidates have clean cammies and dry boots to change into after the E course BEFORE they even hit the rack that night.
Everyone in the candidate company staff should keep very detailed and up-to-date records of the candidates on light duty/sick call, as well as an alphabetized list of every candidate and their rifle serial number and padlock combinations (see above).

MikeG

UH-1Y pilot
I just wanted to say thanks for writing that...though I had a loose idea of what to expect in terms of billets, this was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time.

pebe0101

I just wanted to say that the following text is perhaps for any OCS hopeful, the best advice on billet holders. I went from having platoon sergeant (ugh), to XO, which is difficult not to get a favorable. Nice one!!!!

MikeG

UH-1Y pilot
Quick question:

Will every candidate hold every billet at some point, even if it's just for a day? Or are you only going to experience some of the billets? Thanks.

motiv8r

you will get 2-3 billets per 6 week session, 4-5 billets per 10 week session, including fire team leader. Billets usually last "48 hours" which means 1-4 days depending on how much your staff hates you (j/k, it's not really that bad). Due to the number of billets, most of the billets you hold will be squad leader or fire team leader. For example in a 5 platoon company there will be 4 cand co. staff, 5 each of cand plt comdr/plt sgt/plt guide, 15 squad leaders and 45-70 fire team leaders. So the overwhelming number of billets per company are fire team/squad leader. So if you get cand co. first sergeant....try not to fvck it up.

S/F

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
motiv8r said:
you will get 2-3 billets per 6 week session, 4-5 billets per 10 week session, including fire team leader. Billets usually last "48 hours" which means 1-4 days depending on how much your staff hates you (j/k, it's not really that bad). Due to the number of billets, most of the billets you hold will be squad leader or fire team leader. For example in a 5 platoon company there will be 4 cand co. staff, 5 each of cand plt comdr/plt sgt/plt guide, 15 squad leaders and 45-70 fire team leaders. So the overwhelming number of billets per company are fire team/squad leader. So if you get cand co. first sergeant....try not to fvck it up.

S/F

We had one candidate in our company who held literally EVERY billet in the company and was in a billet almost the entire 10 weeks...he really pissed off the staff..

riley

I was plt sgt and sqd leader. If you do ok in you billets you usually won't get 2 above fire team level (10 wk course). Fire team leaders aren't even really billet holders. Sqd leader and above is what you get ranked by the staff on.

If you keep getting billets of squad leader and above, it is probably because you are doing something wrong.

Carno

Insane
Good write up.

I got lucky and my only billet was squad leader (twice) and fire team leader. Also, don't screw off when you are a fire team leader, because your squad leader has to write evals on you and it will reflect. Your peer evals will also reflect.

selair

riley mcconnell said:
If you keep getting billets of squad leader and above, it is probably because you are doing something wrong.

Seriously? I would have thought that getting higher billets would mean the staff thinks you're more capable. That would just be my assumption. I have no personal experience.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
selair said:
Seriously? I would have thought that getting higher billets would mean the staff thinks you're more capable. That would just be my assumption. I have no personal experience.

Typically it means you are messing something up and they are building a case to get you dropped...

motiv8r

Getting a high profile billet can also be a second chance for you. If you jack up a billet like squad leader, they will typically counsel you and then give you a higher billet, like platoon sergeant, to see if you can learn from your mistakes. They love giving platoon sergeant to candidates they see as being on the edge, either after the candidate gets boarded or if the staff has doubts about his/her leadership ability. It's kind of a sink or swim moment for that candidate.

riley

To caveat motiv8r's post, just because you get a higher billet doesn't necessarily mean you are in trouble of going to the board. If you keep getting high billets, then start worrying. Also, unless you are Ricky Recon, you will most likely get an unsat on your first billet - don't freak out. The instructors aren't there to boost your self-esteem, they are there to see who the weak ones are that can't handle criticism.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
riley mcconnell said:
The instructors aren't there to boost your self-esteem, they are there to see who the weak ones are that can't handle criticism.

This brings up a good point. Many candidates go to OCS with the expectation of the traditional "break you down, train you, and build you up" boot camp model. This isn't what happens at OCS. They are there to instill as much self doubt as possible, and physically challenge you as much as possible to see if you are still standing up until the very last day. The last time our platoon staff talked to us there wasn't any "Congratulations! you've showed us you have what it takes", it was more like "You nasty freaks better not get anyone killed", "Most of you still should never lead Marines" and even "If I see you in the fleet, don't be expecting a salute".I remember talking to someone that came back from the Colonels boards, and that there were 2 speeches people were getting. The Colonel said "How the hell do you think you are going to lead my Marines?!" to Candidates who he sent back to let graduate, and he said "You show great honor for agreeing to come to OCS and serve your country, train hard and learn from this experience" to the Candidates he disenrolled.

Keep this in mind when you are a billet holder- Even if you do a good job don't expect any praise whatsoever, and don't take anything personally.

shimbo

Just because you get chosen as a high-profile billet, doesn't necessarily mean that you are on thin ice as well. We had candidates that were completely locked on get high position billets well into the training schedule.

EDIT: Just realized I echoed several posts above me. Attention to detail. :tongue2_1

WP1989

Hello, My boyfriend is currently at OCS on the 6th out of 10 weeks. He was given a billet for Candidate Platoon Sergeant and he messed it up pretty bad on day one. The first day he was in the spotlight and seemed to do everything wrong and was told if he didn't get things together he would have to go to selection board (not sure if that's the correct term). The second day he did his job much better but said things still didn't seem to get done any faster. Though no one oversaw his performance the second day. He has has been Fire-Team Leader once and has had one other billet that he completed and overall was graded "satisfactory". I know he is doing excellent in his physical and academic performance at OCS and was wondering, if he did have to go to the selection board would it help him out at all? I realize a huge part of OCS is the ability to lead others and if he can't then this isn't the job for him but if anyone who has gone to OCS could give me some related billet stories and how it ended up for you it would be appreciated. Also, if he did have to go to selection board how long would it take for him to be sent there? Thank you for your advice/service.