• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Biking to increase endurance? Lower run?

cwc73

pilot
Ok, I'm wanting to start biking a lot more than normal. I just got done biking on my uncle's ($1000) bike for 41 minutes at an average of 16 miles plus a sprint on flat road up to 23 miles and hour (really fun). So, I'm wonderin, will this biking for longer times than I can run help build my running endurance up? I'm wanting to start biking for about an hour at a time while maintaining a certain pace.

PS: My PFT stats:

20 pullups
100 crunches
2300~2330 3 mile.

It won't hurt and it's less demanding on the knees. I would rather bike than run anyday. As long as you still run from time to time (twice a year) you should be good to go with bike ridding in my opinion... Then again I am completely against excessive running, I saw my grandfather go through two knee replacements.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, doing a lot of cycling will shorten your running stride, but it's really only significant at the competitive level. I'm sure that the added benefit in overall fitness will serve you well.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
I am currently on the 3 mile a year program IRT running. Field sports and biking is cool, but the days where I could put on a pair of running shoes and hit the road for 5 miles are behind me. My knees and ankles just can't take the high impact anymore. My PRT times are still really good, but I have to ice my legs down afterward so I don't have to spend the next 2 days on the couch.

I would rather spend a few hours on the bike than 30 minutes running. As long as you are in shape, you can do whatever.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Biking really helped to keep my endurance up, it certainly won't hurt. The only bad thing it did for me was that it strengthened different muscles that I didn't use as much while running so I had to run every so often to make my legs remember what to do.

cwc73

pilot
Country Boy said:
Biking really helped to keep my endurance up, it certainly won't hurt. The only bad thing it did for me was that it strengthened different muscles that I didn't use as much while running so I had to run every so often to make my legs remember what to do.

I had to make my legs remember what to do. hahaha

Auburn eh? I'm at MSU right now. I met all of the Auburn candidates last week. Looked like a strong group.

Raptor2216

Biking is one of the best things you can do for your stamina/endurance. I did a lot of mountian biking before I left for OCS because of shin splints and I never had any issues being able to run a 19min PFT. If you can do 2-3 hours of mountain biking a few times a week, you will feel great when it comes to the run.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
Biking, swimming can be incoporated very successfully into a running program to increase endurance and provide your legs to recover from the high impact of running.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
I'll jump on the bandwagon here. When I was running about 50 miles a week, my 1.5 mile time was right around 7:45. When I was riding the bike for about 10-12 hrs a week, my time was right around 8:25, without having run more than twice a year. If you ride the bike enough it'll make you almost as fast as running your butt off, and if you combine the two, you'll be even better. I firmly believe that it is an excellent alternative to running.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
Brett327 said:
Actually, doing a lot of cycling will shorten your running stride, but it's really only significant at the competitive level. I'm sure that the added benefit in overall fitness will serve you well.

Brett

yep. that's because when your seat is adjusted properly, your knees are always bent, much like when you run. this makes your hamstrings much less flexible, which will shorten your stride. an hour probably isn't going to help your running-- it's just not long enough. you're talking about an average of probably 20-25 miles. that's not really very far when you consider your motivation for doing it. now, if you live in a place like rocky mountain national park, this changes things.

biking is definitely good for you, but the very best thing that you can do for your endurance is to swim. have you ever heard the phrase: swimmers can run, but runners can't swim?

there's a big, big reason for that. plus, you'll have to swim later on anyway.

cwc73

pilot
Yea, I want to do a lot of biking, a good bit of running, and some swimming too. Plus, I gotta find time in there for weight lifting (which has been really hard, but it is my first love).

And swimming routines or basics come to mind?

Tara

VT-6 student
cwc73 said:
Yea, I want to do a lot of biking, a good bit of running, and some swimming too. Plus, I gotta find time in there for weight lifting (which has been really hard, but it is my first love).

And swimming routines or basics come to mind?

Sounds a lot like triathlon... And I agree that biking is good maintenance for running since most of the muscles you use are the same.

If you're looking for swim workouts, I highly recommend:

Workouts in a Binder: Swim workouts for triathletes
by Gale Bernhardt and Nick Hansen

It's a waterproof, spiral-bound book with one workout per page and divided by workout type (endurance, speed, anaerobic, etc.). Each workout is about 2500-3500 yds total and only uses front crawl (plus a kickboard, and/or pull buoy sometimes).

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
snow85 said:
now, if you live in a place like rocky mountain national park, this changes things.

Interestingly enough, I do. Or close enough to say that I do. Mind expanding on what you mean by this statement? I do bike, although I've only recently gotten back into over the past month or so. Most of the biking I've been doing has been commute and hill biking on this road that goes up and down some foothills which also serve as a damn for a reservoir. About 1-300 feet of vertical elevation changes constantly over 10 miles. Similar in shape to a sinusodial wave. I'm good to go on my running (17:45), but would like to work on my endurance and keep my times down, hence the biking.

cwc73

pilot
Well, since I am preparing for OCS would biking be a good choice? I'm thinking yes if i continue to run 2-3 times a week. I think biking would save my joints and allow me to start ocs very fresh but with plenty of endurance. On the other hand, I am scared that biking could possibly allow my joint to unaccustum themselves to the frequency of poundnig they will receive at OCS. Any thoughts on this?

phattygixxer

I have been doing some non-traditional cycling to try and help my run (in addition to running my regular routine). I bought one of those things you put your street bike onto that allows you to pedal in place (froogle it, $150 or so)... Heres what I do: No matter what I never push down with my feet (i got the foot clips) and only pedal by pulling on the upstroke... If I'm not pedaling regular (which is %50 of the time) then I sit w/no hands and try to lean back slightly as to feel the burn in lower abs/top front of thighs (still only pulling up w/my legs).... I have NO IDEA if this is good to go b/c I only just started it; however, IMO theres a good chance it is at least a little better than regular. Regardless, my roomates think I'm jacked up for riding inside with sunny nice weather.:icon_tong