• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Ocean and little ships make finding "Mother" difficult sometimes

UMichfly

pilot
None
If I am catching your drift, then I agree that big Nav needs to quickly get up to speed with GPS integration.

Amen

It is absurd that we can't "legally" use the fully functional GPS/INS suite for primary nav in a $20+ million training jet, yet every joe in a C182 with a civilian market glass cockpit can shoot GPS down to mins all day long. Pretty bad when you look in AOPA mags and think "damn I wish we had something that nice"....

They'd definitely have to make a few changes before I'd fully trust what we've got. The system is great...until you sausage finger it and accidentally reset waypoint 0 and it shits itself in front of you. Never done that or anything...:D. God I hope Sniff's not on here...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They'd definitely have to make a few changes before I'd fully trust what we've got. The system is great...until you sausage finger it and accidentally reset waypoint 0 and it shits itself in front of you. Never done that or anything...:D. God I hope Sniff's not on here...

Granted it is a bit outdated in terms of modern systems, but I'm sure you could jack up a G1000 with bad switchology too. I pick up what you are putting down though......

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The system is great...until you sausage finger it and accidentally reset waypoint 0 and it shits itself in front of you. Never done that or anything...:D.
Problem with the T-45 system is that you have to enter your waypoints in beforehand. So it's great when you've got a filed flight plan, but if Approach comes up, vectors you to East Jesus and then says cleared direct FUBAR, you're out of luck.

Two things the Navy needs in its aircraft: A system that can dial any published fix and proceed direct, and an ability to do a GPS/RNAV approach. That's the wave of the future INCONUS, methinks . . .

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't the KLN-900 thats in 34's and the T-6 have both of those capapabilities?

MasterBates

We have COTS Garmin GNS-130s in SOME of our E-2Cs, but not all of them. I think 1/3 to 1/2 of them.

Probably even more useful than the GPS, is it gave us a way to have an ILS/VOR in the plane.