• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big NROTC decision???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Miller

Hopefully Future SNA
Hi I just found this board and so far its been a huge resource for me. But I have a few questions. Currently I am a freshman at Georgia Southern and flying has always been a passion for me, but I didnt think I could because of my eye sight but after researching all the PRK it looks like I might have a shot. The problem is Georgia Southern doesnt have NROTC, so I plain to transfer to probably Auburn and do their aviation program. My problem is I dont have enough hours to transfer yet. I will have 22 hrs this year and you need 30 to transfer. So I will have to wait til the end of my 2nd year to transfer. With my hours I would probably still be a sophmore so would I do the 4 yr NROTC program, or would I have to wait and try the 2 yr program? I have heard that the 4 yr program gives you a better chance for getting a pilots slot. Is this true? What would you recommend that I do? stay an extra year at Auburn and do the 4 yr program or do the 2 yr? Sorry for the length I just wanted to give all the details.

snizo

Supply Officer
If you are working on an engineering major, have you considered the Regents Engineering Program? It is a program set up all over Georgia (including Ga Southern) for people who want to start there and finish at Georgia Tech. GT does have a (well established) NROTC program. [Yes I see that you want to aviation ... but thought I would throw that out there]

Which scholarship program you wind up on will likely depend on how long you think you have left in college once you start. I began my junior year, but since I was going to take five years to graduate, I was put on a three year scholarship.

Talk to the NROTC recruitment officer -- he should be able to tell you what is available for your specific case.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Neither program will give you a better shot at a pilot slot, the board does not look at the type of scholarship you are on.

Mark_Miller

Hopefully Future SNA
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah I was doing the GTREP program but I pulled out of it before I knew the navy likes engineering majors for pilots. But I have one more question. Do you have to get a sholarship or is that just if you need help with school? I am trying to figure out all this NROTC stuff. I have found some websites on it.but they arent to informative. Anyone got a website that really goes into detail about NROTC? I just want to make sure I take all of the appropriate steps for getting in NROTC, getting PRK, and waviors, and applying for SNA. I am really new to all this and I think I have confused myself with all the different things I have read. So should I just give the NROTC at Auburn a call on all of this? Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
First of all.....

You can and should call Auburn's NROTC Unit because one of the officers there is a recruiting officer. He should know the most about your situation (no scholarship and wanting to transfer). As far as having a scholarship goes, you'll have to talk it over with them about what kinda of scholarship they'll get you on. But it doesn't matter if youre a 4 yr or 2 yr scholarship student when it comes to applying for an SNA slot. Also...you don't have to be an engineering major to be a pilot. Your major doesn't have as much weight on your selection as your GPA does. Try the link below, it should be the homepage for the NROTC program.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

NROTC guys will hate me for this, but the Marines have a program called PLC. You do your officer training for six weeks in the summer between your fr/so year and again between your so/jr year, or you can do a ten-week course between your jr/sr year. They can gurantee you a pilot slot in school (but 60% of their fleet is helos, not bad, but worth pointing out), and it doesn't matter which school you go to. However, you'll have to go to TBS, which is six months of infantry training, and a helo pilot at Miramar told me you get more flight hours in the other services.
But remember, the Marines pride themselves on always being Marines first, and everyone is an infantryman.

JWallAvionic

American Ace is correct, however, speaking from talking to Captain R. in person at Norwich yesterday... You are a Marine, there is nothing other you are... no matter what MOS or guranteed this or guaranteed that, hell you might get supply because there aren't any slots open. But year after year I was told it is getting more and more competitive. Not to burst bubbles, but just making sure the competitive vibe is heard here, I know in all branches of the service, but Marines is a smaller force to begin with.

But then again, being a Marine is being Marine, that is an achievement all by itself :icon_mi_1

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
JoshuaJWallace said:
American Ace is correct, however, speaking from talking to Captain R. in person at Norwich yesterday... You are a Marine, there is nothing other you are... no matter what MOS or guranteed this or guaranteed that, hell you might get supply because there aren't any slots open. But year after year I was told it is getting more and more competitive. Not to burst bubbles, but just making sure the competitive vibe is heard here, I know in all branches of the service, but Marines is a smaller force to begin with.

But then again, being a Marine is being Marine, that is an achievement all by itself :icon_mi_1

You may have miss quoted the Captain or he gave you bad gouge. Going into TBS after your commission you will be air, ground, or law. Ground guys go through the MOS selection, while air and law do their thing.
If you are an air contract, you go to flight school unless you poke your eye out on a patrol or attrite from the flight program - then you can get your ground supply slot.
He was likely talking about the values of Marines (all of the MOSs), not the selection process. You will have an MOS designating number before the selection which represents Air, Law, or ground. As far as PLC vs. NROTC or Navy vs. Marine, there are plenty of other threads to read about that.

-Just one more note - you don't have your name listed, so why do think the Capt. want's his name listed online? As a suggested technique, perhaps the MOI at Norwich told me this...

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Oops, sorry, never really looked at your username, but people tend to not want their name posted on the net unless they run for political office.

JWallAvionic

Forgive me about the name thing, was saying it for credability wise ya know? But anyways, I sat there for about 45 minutes speaking with him, he just couldn't stress the point of the Corps first and that nothing, unless other wise noted is guranteed :( Atleast that is what he told me.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Grand scheme of things, probably not a big deal - but better to play on the safe side.

What he is saying is very true – just from their perspective to fill the demand for aviators, they offer a “contract,” which is more of a legal obligation than a guarantee. That was the kicker with PLC, with ROTC, it may be a little different (I don’t want to speak outside my realm), but good questions to ask the OSO, MOI, recruiter, etc… Otherwise, NO, the Marines are the First to be upfront about not guaranteeing S@#$.

Status
Not open for further replies.