• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big helicopter deals for Asia

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
India goes for Boeing (15 - Chinooks / 22 - Apaches)

BN-KK679_INDARM_J_20150922112330.jpg

http://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-...itary-helicopters-to-india-in-2018-1443536340

while Pakistan chooses Bell. (15 - AH-1Z's)

635640058069188170-AH-1Z-850x-0167.jpg

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...fire-taliban-tribal-area-waziristan/25409157/

I'll let the attack guys here debate the two gunships - but there does not seem to be any competition for the Chinook in the cargo market. Does anyone use H-53E's other than the US and Japan?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Pakistan should have went with the -64E. The Z basically brings the Marine Corps to AH-64D Block 1 standards from 10-15 years ago minus some additional survivability aspects. The E is more expensive but more capable. I'd take back up fly by wire controls, articulating zone-selectable pods, HMD FLIR, 30mm, APG-78 Longbow radar, ballistically rated canopy, and the ability to auto an aircraft with out a tail rotor any day. It's a nice aircraft but way outside a lot of country's (...and Marine Corps) budget. Not to mention the whole shipboard aspect.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just looking that up. Germany flys H-53Gs. Iran also has a few RH-53Ds that they found in the desert.

The G's are just the German version of D's. The Iranians did a few of their own before they took possession of a few extras we left them in the desert.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pakistan should have went with the -64E. The Z basically brings the Marine Corps to AH-64D Block 1 standards from 10-15 years ago minus some additional survivability aspects. The E is more expensive but more capable. I'd take back up fly by wire controls, articulating zone-selectable pods, HMD FLIR, 30mm, APG-78 Longbow radar, ballistically rated canopy, and the ability to auto an aircraft with out a tail rotor any day. It's a nice aircraft but way outside a lot of country's (...and Marine Corps) budget. Not to mention the whole shipboard aspect.

Are Cobras easier to maintain? Also, gives them a little commonality with their earlier versions AH-1's.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Are Cobras easier to maintain? Also, gives them a little commonality with their earlier versions AH-1's.

Comparatively? It's anyone's guess, that's like comparing the maintenance between F-16s and F/A-18s, too many factors to call it complete apples and oranges. The Whiskey has been solid even though it's been ridden rough through 2 wars in 14 years, but as with any new airframe and drive system the Z is going through some growing pains. The AH-1 Pakistan has right now is essentially the US Army derivative pre-Apache era Cobra from right after Vietnam with additional fire control upgrades. Completely different engine, rotor system, and airframe. There's hardly anything common from the F to the Z except maybe the rockets pods, 3 barrels, turret, and gun drive system from the 20mm. Not to mention the differences in combat radius, payload, and avionics.

AH-1F.jpg AH-1W.jpg AH-1Z.jpg

joe dirt

pilot
The Z isn't going through any growing pains, I really don't want to fly more than 6 hours a month anyway.