• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big changes to officer recruiting

exNavyOffRec

I just found out the goaling for officer recruiting is changing and not for the better.

In the past an OR would be goaled with achieving a certain number of people, those that were accessed into the USN.

Now they will be goaled with applications submitted, and not with people selected, I am sure many can see the issue with this.

You have a 2.6 GPA sure lets have you apply, you have a shot! They won't care who is submitted as long as the numbers are met. I am sure NRC will catch on and limit the parameters of who can actually apply.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the Nav was being more choosey these days.......??

exNavyOffRec

I thought the Nav was being more choosey these days.......??

yes, and what this will do is make it so the boards have to dig thru the ones submitted to "make application goal" in order to get to the ones that have a chance.

It will also add lots of admin to the people from the OR to the board.

I do understand some of this, I mean we don't pick the people so it can be frustrating when we put in work on quality people that don't get picked, but then again, I know there are just going to put up the first people they find and say "made goal".

KBayDog

Remember, this is the same Navy that gives awards to the squadron that submits the most HAZREPs. ;)

exNavyOffRec

Sound like they are taking the initial screen out of the recruiters hands.

the initial screen will still exist, we can only screen out those that do not meet the PA or are not medically qualified or have legal issues, if a person met education and other requirements we can not tell them no.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the initial screen will still exist, we can only screen out those that do not meet the PA or are not medically qualified or have legal issues, if a person met education and other requirements we can not tell them no.
Sounds like when they recruited me under Operation Bootstrap back in '98. Guess I was lucky.

Renegade One

None
I just found out the goaling for officer recruiting is changing and not for the better.

In the past an OR would be goaled with achieving a certain number of people, those that were accessed into the USN.

Now they will be goaled with applications submitted, and not with people selected, I am sure many can see the issue with this.

You have a 2.6 GPA sure lets have you apply, you have a shot! They won't care who is submitted as long as the numbers are met. I am sure NRC will catch on and limit the parameters of who can actually apply.
Hey...mirrors "long held" USNA admission stats, yes?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
In the end it's somewhat of a crapshoot anyway. I partied in college, had a 2.5 coming out and was lucky to get selected. Made it through flight school getting jets and know at least a few engineering 4.0ish people who either got the boot or have redes'd to other communities. Several legends from before have said they would never have been selected in today's Navy. Might not be such a bad thing (just saying, unless you're a recruiter)