• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I'm not gonna provide any tips for evaluating candidates, but I'll just put my two cents worth in with regards to the process.

I'd say the most important thing to do when dealing with candidates is just to return phone calls (or even easier than that, just use e-mail). Even if you can't help them out with specific questions, maybe you can point them in right direction. If you're seen as helpful and friendly, then I think you're doing a good job. Keeping open lines of communication is always good.

I don't think many of the candidates are just being forced by parents to apply. I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of candidates (~75 percent?) have the Academy as their number one choice. Therefore they will all probably be quite nervous when interviewing with their BGO's, so just be ready for that.

Integer1

Banned
I will agree with viv that the candidates will be extremely nervous. I sure was.

When I called my BGO at work and pretended to be a client to reach him, he told me that I wasn't one of the candidates that the Academy was pushing him to interview.

That explained why he didn't return my e-mails. It turned out that the Academy had a much lower SAT score listed for me than it was, my application was only half complete (since I didn't do the physical or transcripts, or essay at the time). So, he sort of was trying to save himself the time, I guess. From his perspective, I was really unmotivated and was going to be one of the 90% of the candidates who he would have had to interview for nothing.

When I told him that I had a nomination and that the SAT score he quoted was wrong (which I got straightened out later), he scheduled an interview two days later.

My personal experience suggets that if a candidate looks like he is unmotivated, he might just be nervous, or maybe the info about him or her is wrong in your online BGO thingie. Telling the candidate that "you are not one of the people the academy is prodding me to interview" is only going to make the candidate even more nervous. :)

I would argue that with the e-mails I sent him and from calling him at his work and pretending to be a client to get the secretary to connect me straight through to him (without using any lies or misrepresenting myself), I was darn motivated.

Should you be straightforward with a candidate about his chances? Sure. But don't try to run away from doing an interview! :) Who knows? And I think that the interview would be more useful if your candidate isn't frozen stiff ;x

BYPASS

I agree with you viv. BGO's not returning phone calls and e-mails within a reasonable amount of time (2 to 3 days) is frustrating. I realize everyone has a busy schedule these days, but by volunteering to be a BGO, one should realize the commitment and see to it that they give their utmost attention to the candidates. My BGO was very nice and the interview went extremely well, but when I tried to contact him afterwards, he was slow to respond. I found I was receiving much quicker responses from my regional director. My interview ranked high, but I didn't find that out until after quite a bit of questioning. I had to ask about everything and just decided to research a lot of things on my own.

Offer all the help you can and by all means be very supportive if you realize you have a fine candidate. I found the lack of preparation and late responses from my BGO to be a complete turn-off. Knowing there are other ways to obtain a commission kept my determination and spirits up. It's not all about the USNA; it's about becoming an Officer. I'd make sure each candidate is totally aware of the commitment no matter which path they choose.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My BGO was awesome. For my interview I dropped by his condo and we talked for almost 2 hours. He always maintained contact with me and actually called me two weeks before I received the letter to tell me I had received a letter of assurance. He was so upset when I got the medical waiver denial, at which point he said he had ranked me highest out of all his candidates.

He really pushed me through the system, got me into the candidate visit weekend, and if it wasn't for him, I don't think I would have made it as far in the process as I did.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got back from my first organizational meeting for my states BGO program. I was impressed. The state coordinator has his stuff in one sock. Seems like the BGOs I met are dedicated to the program and it's applicants. Looks like I'm in and will get to work with the high schools nearest my home where I have contacts. Looking forward to it.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Wink. Congrats. i would think it would be a super job, tough but rewarding.

IMO would start a new thread. Smoke out some of the Mids while events fresh in their minds.

My experience was bit out of the mold, so to speak. i had retired from the Navy 7 years before my son was even born, and with a high pressure second career, i never, ever talked about the Navy. i wanted him to go to Med school, my last choice would have been the Naval Academy. Monies were in the bank for any school of his choice.

He announced he was applying. i helped with application, did not push nor exert influence against, but i did give him the downside, in particular the aviation side. He made his own decision. Late September the BGO appears, to my surprise, on our doorstep. He promptly told me to go get lost for a couple of hours while he talked to my son. About 3 weeks later, last week in October son received his offer of admission. i strongly encouraged him to vet all his options prior to a decision, he did have many outstanding options. In April he accepted. i found out several days later, and not directly from him that he had accepted, just an indicator of the signals i must have been sending that i thought were so subtle.

Living close the Annapolis, our house looked like a extension of Bancroft Hall with all the Mids in and out. Talked to many, and what i came away with was that a good number of their parents did not want them attend the Academy. Could be flawed, my own unscientific impression.

Wishing you fair winds and following seas.

usnafury

Did he already have a nomination when he was accepted? Or did he get an LOA? What happens if you get an LOA and then the Academy gets the news you need a waiver for eyesight? Will they take away the LOA? Thanks for your help!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Immediate Presidential Nomination to the son of a retired member. The whole thing was taken care of in one letter.

Other question. While i certainly am not an authority, i understand that eyesight waivers are sort of automatic.

Integer1

Banned
From my experiences and what I have been reading here, if Admissions wants you, they won't hide it from you.

Sure, there are little things that show they "sort of" care about you, such as that even in the Spring, they were waiting for my Fall transcript and still hadn't dropped me at that point. And, it would not be amiss for me to suggest that if they really don't want you, that they will tell you this, also. An unfortunate student will find that the Academy doesn't play games when it rejects him or her for having SAT scores too low on the preliminary questionnaire, for example.

And then, we see that the Academy will go all out trying to recruit those students it thinks are exceptional, making the "caring attitude" described in the previous paragraph seem like the formality it truly is.

When the Academy actually wants you genuinely--as opposed to genially--they will be the first at your door. And, they seem to be more willing to to battle for quality candidates than any other college in the United States. Moreso, infact, than seems necessary.

Whereas many good colleges do not give merit-based aid, the United States Naval Academy is already free. When almost every college is busy recruiting athletes, the Academy is even more busy as they also send BGO's to recruit people for the color of their skin. What other college does this? This emphasis on minorities seems strange, when the minority proportion to whites is already one of the highest in the country for four-year colleges colleges, at 25%. This emphasis would be better directed at females, who come nowhere near making 50% of the class as they do in other colleges in the United States.

There is no correct solution for the admissions process, but it does seem funny that the Academy tries to get as many minorities as they can to match the enlisted makeup by population of minorities and non-minorities in the Navy, while completely lacking the ability to recruit as many women as to have a makeup of about 50/50 to men, as is in the population.

In other words, the Academy's solution to the fact that enlisted sailors are more likely to be poor minorities than rich non-minorities, due to reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the color of their skin but with their economic conditions, is to decrease the admissions standards somewhat for minorities regardless of their personal economic conditions, or whether they had to overcome any obstacles at all.

Look, I wish I knew about the Naval Academy when I was in high school, but I didn't and I had no way to know. The local BGO was obviously doing just what the BGO Guidebook wants him to do--to spend considerable time looking for minorities and attending high schools with a lot of minorities there.

1) The BGOs should try to visit all high schools, regardless of the racial makeup of the schools. 2) There should not be brownie points for recruiting minorities. 3) Admissions SHOULD take into consideration that an applicant is a minority--if there were poor economic conditions, deaths in the family, or residence in a racist community, and other things like that attached--just like with any other candidate! But admissions should not simply go Ga Ga over a candidate who checks the Minority check box because they are 1/16th black or hispanic.

So Wink, tell everyone to apply and treat everybody the same. We must reform the schools to use economic affirmative action instead or racial affirmative action!

http://www.tcf.org/Publications/Education/carnevale_rose.pdf

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can already tell you that BGOs get no brownie points for minority recruiting. I'm sure admissions considers the "diversity" of the incoming class. All the BGO does is facilitate those that express an interest. If that interested person does not make the basic qualifications, then yes, he will get a cold shoulder no matter how much he is interested.

Thanks Chief for your story. Sounds like you raised a good one for us, even if it wasn't your intention.

WannaBEaP3gal

What blows my mind is when I meet Naval Academy mids, they say that they didn't know about NROTC when they applied to the Academy. Whoever keeps this so called "secret" option from them is just cruel. Have a real college life AND train to become a naval officer... some schools like mine throw in room and board, so basically you get paid to go to school. These kids should be informed about all the pathways to becoming a naval officer, that way they won't end up somewhere they didn't want to be. I've had too many Naval Academy mids tell me they wish they knew about NROTC. If it's the kid's "Dream" to go to the academy, that's all good, but make sure they know they have options too!

usnafury

I'm applying for both the Academy and NROTC. Right now, I'm just having to jump through medical hurdles. I strained a muscle in my back a year or two ago, and put that on my medical form. Now, I have to give DODMERB all the records for the back injury. Who knows what they'll do with it? I went to a few sessions of physical therapy and have been fine ever since. If this DQs me, I'll be POed. Hah, and want to know something funny? For the USAFA, my "height exceeds standards". I wonder how that can be when my height is 5'2? :confused:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, for DODMERB they requested all my medical records SINCE BIRTH! That was a ***** and a half to get. Cost me 20 bucks to get them all photocopied and 7 to ship them out to Colorado.

DAMN YOU DODMERB!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.